Fawfulfan's WAD and SOC icons have been updated!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
This is just a fun little thing I made. Basically, it's a pair of ICO files that you can teach your computer to use to signify WADs and SOCs.

Here is an image that shows what the files do:
21nh5ck.jpg

LINK UPDATED!!!

Here's how to install 'em. (NOTE: I have Windows XP, so I don't know if this works for Vista users)

1. Download the ZIP and extract "wad.ico" and "soc.ico".
2. Make sure that ".wad" and ".soc" are already recognized file types on your computer (If they aren't, make your computer recognize them.)
3. Once you've got the files downloaded and extracted, pull down "Tools" in Windows Explorer and select "Folder Options"
4. Open "File Types" and find the extensions "WAD" and "SOC".
5. Choose "WAD", and hit the button marked "Advanced".
6. Click "Change Icon" and browse for "wad.ico".
7. If done correctly, all WAD files will now have a special icon. Now, repeat steps 5-7 with SOC files.

What do you guys think?

I still miss the little addon that Hotdog003 (was it him?) made where double-clicking a wad would start SRB2 with that wad loaded...

Also, moved to Releases - Misc, etc.

Spazzo said:
I still miss the little addon that Hotdog003 (was it him?) made where double-clicking a wad would start SRB2 with that wad loaded...

Also, moved to Releases - Misc, etc.

Wow, such a thing exists? Where might I find it, and how does it work?

File association, can be done through registry.

Also, the icons don't look all that great, I think I'd rather have the unknown file icon to be honest...

Hmmmm...maybe I could update them. They are pretty basic right now. But in the meantime, for anyone who likes them, enjoy.

There's already a sock icon for SOC files--just set the icon for the SOC editor to the actual files. The reason I made both of them circles with words in them is to establish them as related files.

It is probably better to have a srb2 character, like tails and have a text box that said WAD. That way, it is easy to see that it is meant for SRB2.

I don't think a icon is needed though.

Torgo said:
It is probably better to have a srb2 character, like tails and have a text box that said WAD. That way, it is easy to see that it is meant for SRB2.

I don't think a icon is needed though.

Of course, this change would apply to ALL wads, including ones for say, DooM. So the differentiation that "it's for SRB2" is potentially detrimental.

And I can live with an unknown icon for wad files, and just a plain old notepad icon for SOCs. I've gotten quite used to them looking that way.
However, if you could alter the program or whatever you have here so that a person could substitute his own icon for either, that would be awesome.

There's no program involved. It's just a couple of ICO files that you can tag to WADs and SOCs in Folder Options.

I think it should just be something with a thing saying WAD and SOC, just like Fawfulfan's icons, and could you make a transparent background for the icons, please?

Okay, I've updated the icons. They now have transparent backgrounds and blurrier edges, to make them look nicer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back