Mount Crumble Zone- v1.3 (s_mountcrumble.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazeFan1

Let's start with my storyline bit.

Sonic and his friends finally reached Mt. Crumble, and at last understood the extent of Eggman's new plan. The trio looked around in horror, seeing how much of the surrounding world as far as the eye could see had been affected by Eggman's new plan. (with the exception of Country Dream Zone, peaceful and green at the base of the mountain).
"Sonic" said Tails. "Eggman said he'd meet us up on the promontory. We have to go there and stop him!"
"Way ahead of you," called Sonic taking off through the crumbling cliffs. Tails and Knuckles followed behind, wondering what Eggman was going to do next.
Level 2- Mount Crumble Zone

Well, here it is folks. Level 2 of my story, the sequel to the Country Dream Zone.

I can assure you though, an awful lot more effort and time went into this level, and I'm happy with the improvement. Although I still consider myself a beginner at editing, this level has decent structure, and some simple gimmicks. (There's even a boss at the end!)

In short, its not epic, but its not laughable either.

Version 1.0 of this level was detained in submissions.

Changes made to 1.1:
Thok barrier editing
Thing movement/deletion
Rings got the float tag
Widened areas
Other odds and ends.

Changes to 1.2
-Graphical blips fixed, thokbarrier editing.

Changes to 1.3
- Added colormaps to deep water. It's a weak colormap, but it is there.
-Below the FOF's in the first lake, there was no water, producing a weird effect of being able to breathe and jump normally while standing beneath the platform. I fixed that now

Screenshots!
suyg4n.jpg

od8ax.jpg

I'd really appreciate some feedback on this stage folks!

Attachments

• Mount Crumble Zone.zip
    37.8 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
Right, so looking through this, I think there are a few things you should address before this moves into releases.

First of all, toggle float on your rings. It's not that hard, just use the find command(from the edit dropdown menu) to select all of them, and make the change from there.

Second, you need to do something about the flame jet area. It is far, far too laggy, to the point that it is unplayable. Either remove it, or find a way to use less flame jets so that it doesn't make the framerate explode.

Third, there are some places in the level that are extremely cramped. You should widen, straighten, or remove these chokepoints.

Fourth, the passageway you go through after getting in the water is extremely hard to see. You should do something to make it more obvious, such as using a different texture in the tunnel, or extending the line of rings inside of it to reach into the open area of the lake.

Now that the major and/or easy to address issues are out of the way, here are some other things you can do to further improve:

* Springs shouldn't be placed so close to the walls that are scaled using them. Ideally, you should be able to continue moving forward a little bit while using the spring without slamming into the wall.

* Try giving some Z offsets to those robo-fish so that they aren't hugging the floor; it looks weird when they do that.

* The aesthetics of item placement as seen in a wad editor are largely irrelevant. When placing items and enemies, try to imagine how it will look in-game, and what the player will do to gather(or destroy) the things being placed. Can the player interact with the items in stride, or does he have to go out of the way to do so? Sometimes with the exception of monitors, you should predict how a player will move through a level, and place rings in such a way that they can be gathered without significant detour.

* Post some screenshots! People are slow to try stuff without any sort of idea of what they will be trying. Just press F8 when you have the view you want, and it'll save one in your SRB2 folder.
I'm always glad to see newcomers who are willing to put forth a good share of effort in their work. Keep plugging away at it, BlazeFan; you're only going to get better if you do.

EDIT: Alrighty then, with most of that stuff addressed, this is ready for the masses.

Last edited:
Ok then. I will create an updated version ASAP.

(In fact, while this sat in submissions, I already made several of these changes to it.)

I will replace the original file with a version 1.1 soon.
(Oh and the flame jet area doesn't lag for me, but I'll change it anyways)

By the way, I've gotten screenshots, but I don't know how to post them. Do I have to put them on a website, and if so, how do I do that?

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

Ok The New and Improved version is up!

Please review, and send to releases if you are satisfied.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I have a few issues concerning the graphical issues caused by thok barrier positioning.

For example, why is it that sometimes, at the top height of the barrier, a floor seems to stretch on into the distance. At other times, under seemingly the same conditions, only sky is visible after the normal thickness of the wall (that's the best I can explain it, hopefully you know what I mean.) I don't know what I'm doing different that causes these 2 seperate phenomena and creates graphical glitches (on this level specifically after you take the spring up through the mountain and the arrow block points the way down.)

I didnt run into this problem when I made country dream zone, because that level was contained within one giant sector. This one is not. Anyone know what's up with those barrier appearance issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back