Small 2.1 Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had that as a feature, so you could get a little extra height or cleverly use it to travel a little farther if correctly timed. However this post does not agree or disagree with removing it.
It could be a nice "feature" if, at least, Tails doesn't precipitate almost vertically in middle of flight. :S

I would actually like that bug/feature to be kept, but if and only if you can activate it with only the spin button. With the jump button mashing of flying you have no choice but to accidentally use it. :P

I would actually like that bug/feature to be kept, but if and only if you can activate it with only the spin button. With the jump button mashing of flying you have no choice but to accidentally use it. :P
The problem with this is that the spin button does something in flight, too.

The problem with this is that the spin button does something in flight, too.

Not when Tails is panting. Or it does, but I didn't see any difference between Tails panting and Tails panting with spin button pressed.

Last edited:
Yes, but to be consistent we'd need to apply it at all times, not just when he's panting. Therefore it would be problematic.

So I'd suggest an option to set a custom button to activate the shield's ability. But I think that someone suggested this before.

Yes, but to be consistent we'd need to apply it at all times, not just when he's panting. Therefore it would be problematic.
Um.

Right now the whirlwind shield triggers when you press jump while Tails is panting. Does it trigger when he's not panting? No! Is the inconsistency a problem? No!

Um.

Right now the whirlwind shield triggers when you press jump while Tails is panting. Does it trigger when he's not panting? No! Is the inconsistency a problem? No!
Honestly, the whole reason this is such an issue is that the inconsistency IS a problem. You press jump expecting to keep going up by flying, the pant animation kicks in and you trigger the shield without intending to. The core problem here IS that it's inconsistent. Switching it to spin wouldn't solve that problem, just make it a little less common.

Honestly, the whole reason this is such an issue is that the inconsistency IS a problem. You press jump expecting to keep going up by flying, the pant animation kicks in and you trigger the shield without intending to. The core problem here IS that it's inconsistent. Switching it to spin wouldn't solve that problem, just make it a little less common.

I think that Neo's right here. While the character is performing his ability he shouldn't be able to use the shield's ability. Then, when Tails is panting, he actually isn't using his ability at all, and as his last movement was pressing the jump button, Tails is able to use the shield's ability (I don't know if this is really what happens). The same happens with Knuckles and Sonic. Both when Sonic is in his thok boost and when Knuckles is gliding, they aren't able use the shield's ability, but they don't have the right of using it after perform their abilities. So I think this is a Tails only right. Then why not keep this Tails's "inconsistency", but instead of the jump button, change it to the spin button?

Because should the player need to hit the spin button to go down for whatever reason, such as dodging something, and suddenly hit the panting frames, the exact same problem would happen as with mashing jump. Even worse, they'd find themselves suddenly going UP instead of down like they intended because of the accidental Whirlwind Shield trigger. This is the problem of using a key for two different things at once, and no matter how we set it up in this situation, the player will hit one thing and occasionally have the game register it as intent to do something else.

But the accidental whirlwind shield triggering would happen far less than it would be with the jump button, the chances would decrease a lot. Because you don't need to press the spin button a lot of times to go down, just one time. Then, to trigger the double jump ability, a lot of luck is needed, because it'd be necessary to press the spin button right when tails starts panting, and it would be stupid if the player press the spin button when Tails is panting, considering that he knows that he'll trigger the ability if he do it.

Last edited:
Actually, holding spin generates more of an effect than tapping it once, and tapping it multiple times will indeed have an effect. I agree that it's less likely to come up than triggering it on jump does, but it still would come up, and when it did come up it would be absolutely damning because you'd go the opposite direction as you intended.

What about triggering the jump still, but maintaining him in the pant state (and thus lower gravity)?

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. It certainly would be possible to just use the Whirlwind Shield sound and give the player just that bit of extra height without removing them from flight.

Wow, I just noticed I haven't used the Whirlwind Shield lately. It sure changed since the last time I played the game... And when I thought I was understanding the discussion, I replayed the game now, and got everything confused, so I'll just discuss my opinion from scratch.
Pressing jump to use the shield's vertical boost is a bit wrong. It's easier to everyone if it's just "Spin to use the shield" instead of "Spin to use the shield, unless you've fallen of a cliff without jumping, or you're tired as Tails."
As I tested now, I found it's really easy to accidentally use the whirlwind after flying with Tails, even when I don't want to. And I think it's just better for Tails to not be able to use the whirlwind at all after initiating flight. Tails can already fly really high, and if the level designer's not careful, Tails can enter a Knux only path using his huge flight ability + a small boost from the shield.

Wow, I just noticed I haven't used the Whirlwind Shield lately. It sure changed since the last time I played the game... And when I thought I was understanding the discussion, I replayed the game now, and got everything confused, so I'll just discuss my opinion from scratch.
Pressing jump to use the shield's vertical boost is a bit wrong. It's easier to everyone if it's just "Spin to use the shield" instead of "Spin to use the shield, unless you've fallen of a cliff without jumping, or you're tired as Tails."
As I tested now, I found it's really easy to accidentally use the whirlwind after flying with Tails, even when I don't want to. And I think it's just better for Tails to not be able to use the whirlwind at all after initiating flight. Tails can already fly really high, and if the level designer's not careful, Tails can enter a Knux only path using his huge flight ability + a small boost from the shield.
But thats always fun! Don't you remember in Sonic 3, where if done right Knuckles could fight Sonic's Marble Garden boss? I found that so much fun, and even more fun to figure out how to do it. So it's not really a bad thing that Tails can go into Knuckles' path.

Out of curiousity... Will there be a Grand Eggship? Also, I already know CEZ's getting a LFZ makeover and may be extended.

The Wiki also said that it might be scrapped.

I wouldn't be suprised if it does get scrapped, Airship Zones are hard to make.
I should know, I'm working on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back