Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a question for everyone: would you rather that the new version of Tortured Planet be one massive WAD, or split it into one for music and one for everything else? I am heavily leaning towards one big WAD, because I personally hate the inconvenience of downloading or inputting multiple resources. A single WAD will mean easier use, but it might make for a tougher download. What does everyone think?
Both, quite definitely. Provide a full download and a split one.

Speaking of which, Liftoff Gantry Act 2 just needs a little bit, and then it's done.

Both, quite definitely. Provide a full download and a split one.
No, I will definitely not do both. That would mean that if anyone wanted to join a Tortured Planet server, they would have to have both the full and split versions to guarantee that they could get in. As I intend v9.0 to be the most netgame-friendly version yet, that is the absolute last thing I need.

On a separate note, SpiritCrusher, I just did something that embodies the kind of thing you want--I totally scrapped and replaced the worst room in Snowcap Nimbus Zone Act 1 (you know, the right path split with the cramped passage and the bizarre falling icicles).

And Charybdizs, when exactly can I expect your latest track to be done?

Last edited:
What's REALLY optimal is you get someone to make a MIDI version of the tracks, include that with the pack and have a separate wad with all the OGG music. Mystic Realm's soundtrack was actually originally intended to be MIDI-only before AJ put the soundtrack in SRB2 proper because I knew that it wouldn't be reasonable to have people download a giant 20-30 MB file to play.

The other benefit here is that your level pack itself will fit in the upload restriction without making it a split RAR which I highly doubt half of our users would even understand.

Well, that means more that we probably need to increase the limit a bit, and has nothing to do with the music itself. He also may want to do some optimization to lower the filesize somewhat, because that's a little absurd there.

Here's the way I see it. Whether or not the music is included, the file will be too big to upload here and must be stored on a separate host site. If the file will be huge either way, why further inconvenience people by giving them two different WADs to download? The file will be more annoying to download, but once you do, it will be more convenient in just about any other way you care to name.

Well, you see, I have power over that number. I just upped the limit to 32 MB. If you can't fit the WAD into that, zipped, then you clearly have some wasteful lumps in there and need to optimize a bit =P

As far as optimization goes, I've actually been doing that for weeks. I recently ran a cleanup in XWE. More than that, I brought down the filesize from 76 MB to 73 MB through all kinds of sector merging and vertex deletion. Unfortunately, that's pretty insignificant compared to the 30+ MB that'll be tacked on by the music. Just adding all the music that has been made so far has brought the WAD up to 83 MB (though some of it was in MP3 format, so it can be compressed a lot more).

No one can say that the problem with Tortured Planet is waste. I've diligently purged any useless fat from the thing, to the point where there is actually far less waste in Tortured Planet than in vanilla SRB2. The simple fact of the matter is that this is a huge pack full of huge levels. It isn't like Mystic Realm, where the true content is less than 25 MB; even without music, its size is colossal.

Tortured Planet has 73 maps (v9.0 has a new one), and many of the Single Player levels boast several minutes of gameplay even if you breeze through them quickly. In addition to all that, there are oodles and oodles of custom textures, flats, sprites, and other graphics resources jammed in there. I don't know if this is unprecedented in the history of addons, but I'm pretty sure that even with 34 OGGs (the 32 Charybdizs is making plus Midnight Freeze and Fire Flight), music will only account for about one third of the filesize. Therefore, I really think that in the grand scheme of things, the benefit of splitting the file doesn't outweigh the inconveniences. It means the difference between downloading one huge file and downloading two huge files. I think I'll opt for the former.

Last edited:
I don't mean uncompressed. I mean the compressed filesize, as that's what matters here. Your current download is 16.8 MB compressed, which is way under 32 MB.

I understand that...but maybe I didn't realize how much of a difference that would make. Perhaps it will fit now. As I don't yet have all the music, I can't be sure. Thank you very much for doing this, though.

No, it won't, unless you're using MIDI. Hence the point of using a separate file for the music (which should probably remain under 32 MB itself assuming you don't have too much of it, but I'd honestly prefer you Mediafire that)

Well my ulterior motive is to try to get you to use attachments because that way we don't end up with the problem we had in 1.X where people would all use Rapidshit to host their stuff and by this point practically every link in Outdated Releases is broken. However, we really can't afford the bandwidth for every addon author to use digital music and stay online. If you must do that, at least get someone to host you that's not a free file host, because those links die really quickly.

I understand the problem--that was pretty frustrating for me as well. But I don't know if that will be possible in my financial situation. It might be possible to provide multiple mirrors to sites that keep files for longer, and refresh broken links should that prove necessary.

Even then, a year after you quit you're going to lose all the links and the topic will look like Outdated Releases with broken links everywhere. This is why I highly encourage splitting the file so you can actually host it here and as long as the SRB2 MB still exists the file will be available. If you're concerned about convenience you could do the old routine I used to with Mystic Realm ages ago and include a bat file for those who wouldn't ordinarily get it. Hell, you could even try a split RAR but I think Cue would look at you kinda funny. Hopefully in the future bandwidth will be irrelevant again and we can make the filesize limit irrelevant as well.

The method I am considering is to upload a split RAR to the MB and then have two contiguous Mediafire mirrors: one RAR and one ZIP (for the ever-present group of SRB2 players who refuse to learn what a RAR file is).

Last edited:
Okay, how about this:

TP_Assets.wad
scr_TorturedPlanetSP.wad
mt_TorturedPlanetMP.wad
TP_Mus.wad

This way, you can update just the single player stuff and people wont have to redownload the other parts every time, or opt out parts they won't use.

Fawfulfan, it has been a judge guideline for many moons now that we only accept things if they have been uploaded as an attachment providing they can be. You can split this off and have it fit into two attachments quite easily, so please do. When I first setup releases I set that rule into motion so that people would always be able to access wads, and so that when I eventually get round to it the MS will be able to refer to wads, you're inconveniencing everyone but yourself here by avoiding this.

Why on Earth I never set this down in text form in the Submissions Guidelines I don't know, apologies for that.

Please don't use a split rar though, split the wad itself, a split rar will cause me all hell when it comes to analysing it at a later date.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back