Post your Desktop

I have updated my KDE4 desktop! Beware of image overload!

Basically, what happens now is I have an Activity Switcher in the top-left, which switches between three different widget/wallpaper configurations. Also, I swear, I'm probably going to change my desktop around again for the next month or two. Maybe I'll do it for KDE 4.3.

KDE4Desk-6-2009-a.png

Standard display, which has both a view of the root of my external drive and a selection of common programs I use so that I can quickly launch something once I've shown the desktop or moved to a blank virtual desktop. Has a slideshow of various elegant wallpapers from Windows Vista/7, KDE4, and a few taken from kde-look.org and gnome-look.org. No cross-fading yet, but that will be in KDE 4.3, which will be out in late July (hey, at least it's free and open source).

KDE4Desk-6-2009-b.png

Dashboard with a few extra widgets, showing disk usage, CPU usage, shutdown buttons, a binary clock, and a drag-n-drop area for pastebin stuff. Also sports a cleverly placed Eyes widget. Har har. Also cycles through several Yoshi images, so beware!

http://chaos.foxmage.com/AkuKitsune/KDE4Desk-6-2009-c.png

Super basic desktop for when I don't want any distractions. Plain color, nothing else but the switch bar, as simple as that.

Honestly, how can you stand KDE? It's so clunky to use, and it's crashed on me more times than I can remember while GNOME has been completely stable.

I had that problem with KDE4 before, but it is still in development. I just turned off most of the extra effects like using passive cursor waiting and other effects I forgot. It hasn't crashed since I turned those effects off. I am sure they will fix those issues soon, but if you still have problems with KDE4 after doing that, then KDE3 would be fine if you are looking for a KDE desktop that is more stable.

Callum said:
Honestly, how can you stand KDE?

Perhaps the fact that it isn't GNOME? Seriously, everything about GNOME is decrepit, dumbed down, and works against my intuition as an experienced computer user. It treats me like an idiot and a disabled person, and its toolkit, GTK, has quite possibly the worst common file dialog I have ever seen in my entire life, bar Windows 3.1. Only two options: show hidden files, and show 'size' column. No way to change the view to something more desirable. KDE has this capability, as does Windows. Why, then, must GTK be so incompetent?

Besides, KDE4 is emerging technology (just like Linux on the desktop, and, you know, sound). Give it a chance. It's definitely more future-proof than GNOME and GTK are in their current state. As for GNOME, I'm done with that environment. It's not going to be changing any time soon. There is, however, the upcoming version 3, which doesn't even have a huge wealth of information surrounding it yet, and will likely be just as bad as version 2, since their project goals revolve around having "accessibility" over practicality.

[/rant]

a bee said:
I run ubuntu because I'm a bee and I have a hive mind.

Seriously though, why's your ubuntu look all ghetty, bro. I get the distinct impression your either running a really old distro or a Pentium II.

If its the later I got a couple MMX instruction sets off my boy that I'm trying to get rid of cheap. Since you're a first time customer we'll even install it for you for free. If you're interested, that is.

foxblitz said:
KDE is the best lover I've ever had in my life. Everytime we're together I just get that feeling, you know. It's like being a little schoolgirl again... Oh god, I'm blushing... and the best part is KDE really pays attention MY needs, its not just caught up in what it wants to do all the time like GNOME. I've never been happier.

I never even bothered to try KDE because I never heard one good thing about it. I figured gnome gave me enough problems and I've got better things to do then learn the intricacies of linux desktop environments. That serious bomb you just dropped, friend, that's inspired me. I'm going to try it, in the privacy of my own home, so I can really get comfortable and nobody needs to know if I don't like it. 'Cept you guys of course. I'll report in when I've formed my own opinion.

F11.png

Fresh Fedora 11 Leonidas install, looking like that while I get everything working. Loving it so far, it's seriously nice. =)

I'd probably shoot myself if I ever saw Sonic Heroes textures in ME, nevermind GFZ1. :P

EDIT: You forgot to edit the title on the taskbar :P

I got sick of Gnome's lack of versatility, so I switched to Xfce. It's even closer to Windows now and I am happy.

desktopxfcejune.png

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back