[Solved] Has SRB2's CPU Requirements Gone Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilly

Seriously, this game is a massive hog now. I have tried running it under WINE, the SDL version through WINE, the Linux ports, you name it, and it takes up far more than 50% of my CPU usage most of the time, sometimes peeking at 75-90%. Is every version of the game taking advantage of my dual-core CPU?

I don't remember 2.0 doing this. While my laptop's backend is raised by a PS3 game case now, (Don't have to worry about overheating with most games, besides Minetest.) that is a concerning amount of resources being used for a game built on top of DOOM. Not even the brush tools in Krita or GIMP need that much for themselves.

Last edited:
Seriously, this game is a massive hog now. I have tried running it under WINE, the SDL version through WINE, the Linux ports, you name it, and it takes up far more than 50% of my CPU usage most of the time, sometimes peeking at 75-90%. Is every version of the game taking advantage of my dual-core CPU?

I don't remember 2.0 doing this. While my laptop's backend is raised by a PS3 game case now, (Don't have to worry about overheating with most games, besides Minetest.) that is a concerning amount of resources being used for a game built on top of DOOM. Not even the brush tools in Krita or GIMP need that much for themselves.

DOOM runs a tight loop, but you can use CPUSLEEP make it yield to other processes when it runs to end of loops.

I haven't noticed any difference and I'm playing on a 13 year old desktop with a single core 1.3 GHz processor which is usually pretty sensitive to CPU peaking but SRB2 has never caused a problem.

So it is kind of weird that it's using so much of your resources.

Thankfully, it wasn't RAM usage or anything else spiking out of control, just the CPU usage being unusually high. I don't like leaving a game running at full throttle like that while switching over to Skype or Pidgin momentarily.

DOOM runs a tight loop, but you can use CPUSLEEP make it yield to other processes when it runs to end of loops.

Wow, I only turned CPUSLEEP to 5, and CPU usage is down to 10-20% average in-game on the Linux native port! It kinda reminds me of Regen's Quiet Mode.

That's a huge difference, so I feel a lot better about playing SRB2 now. Thanks Alam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back