• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Emerald War

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST218

It has been suggested to me on several occasions that I make a single player level. I thought about that suggestion, and I thought some more. Then, I thought about another thing. What if I made a level pack. Nothing big, no twenty thousand zones, no complete overhaul, no crazy coding. Just a level pack, that would be enjoyable. Then, I thought of another thing. What if I had a Super Sonic exclusive zone. No one else has done that. Whoops, I might have said too much.

Anyway, for the last few days, I have been working on a level pack called Emerald War. What do I have to show for those last few days? No screenshots, but an actual level. Emerald Excavation Act 1 is finished. At this rate, Emerald War will be done before 1.09 comes out.

My new site, and a little blurb on SRB2, and info on Emerald War. Enjoy.

The download is at that page. I really don't know if FreeWebs will allow me to link right to the file, so I'm erring on the side of caution.

So why am I doing this? Because I want feedback. After the catastrophy that IRCers might know as Grass Highway, I realized an overwhelming assault wouldn't work. I want to know how this kind of level will work, with a few secret areas and puzzles and moving floors and the like. If you like it, then expect more fun stuff in the future, like an entire pack built like it. If you don't like it, tell me what you would like, and I'll do my best to accomedate.

EDIT: Link updated. Ignore anything in this post about Freewebs-I'm at Sepwich now.

What happened with Grass Highway? I don't IRC.

Havn't played the level, love the story though. That sounds like me, only without the bump on the head.

Not bad at all, but you desperately need to make those indoor passages bigger. It's hard to play with the SRB2 camera getting stuck everywhere. Also, it would be nice if there was more of a hint where things are going to move, because the moving floors seemed VERY random. Also, put some rings in that opening room. I don't have any trouble killing CCs, but some people do.

Yes. And some people, such as myself, want to disable first person all together. Then we can conquer the world. :x

No, then you have to put up with a stupid camera 24/7 (at least, I think we all agreed it's better "stupid" than "out to kill you"). There are some points even in the official levels where FP mode feels a bit better (like that conveyor belt area in THZ2, at the VERY beginning, where you find one of the Emblems, before heading into either the crusher or turret path... how specific do I have to be?)

Oh, IMO.

Yeah. Just think of how Eggman feels.
Actually, that part isn't so bad in third person, so long as you keep resetting the camera as needed.
I like raceing other people who use Jason through that part (as Jason) and yelling "I AM OF THE ELITE SPECIES OF THE ECHIDNA!" when I get there first. :)

You can't disable no chasecam altogether, Jason. If you did somehow, then you could just hold down the "RESET CAMERA" button. I like doing that when I'm gliding as Jason, it feels bumpy and windish-like.

Holding the cam reset doesn't give you crosshairs and the ability to "hold" it like that can also be fixed.

Bump!!!

Just kidding. Actually, this is not only to show that this project isn't dea, but that more has been done.

The link in the first post has been updated to point to Sepwich. I'll get around to updating the level select section of my site at some point.

As for what has been done so far:

Emerald Excavation 1, all I did was really to add some rings, and enlarge the stage as a whole. I did it rather cheaply, I just used DB's feature to change the size ratio of everything. I might actually add content at some point, but I want to work on more important things in the pack

As for Emerald Excavation 2....hooooo boy. I made a key mistake that I will never make again. I started the level without any idea of what it would look like. I basically went on slicking randomly until something formed. And for what it is, I think it looks good.

Now, for the actual level. Basically, this is to EEZ1 as GFZ2 is to GFZ1-A lot bigger and more fleshed out. I'm not doing anything too evil yet, so basically this is walk to the signpost-Well, almost, you'll see what I mean.

A side note, I might be the first person to use Meadow Match music in a custom map, at least I've never seen it.

Okay, now that that's done with. Comments, suggestions, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back