SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > SRB2.org > News

Old 12-15-2011   #41
Rob
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 犬夜叉 View Post
Lava and lasers hurt. Nothing else does.
For now...
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011   #42
Autosaver

I think those falling rocks from ACZ should appear as a hazard in the ACZ special stage. (They were falling rocks.. right? Not sure if my memory is fuzzy, they could just be tumbleweeds for all I know)

Just in case no one knows what I'm talking about, go to 1:40
Autosaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011   #43
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

I don't think they would make for a very good hazard. You need a certain degree of maneuverability to avoid them, and NiGHTS only lets you move on a 2D axis.
MascaraSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011   #44
Sergeant Brown
An Eggman Fan

Well instead of shooting many rocks at one time we could make it shoot only one at a time.
Sergeant Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #45
Mystery Cheese
Mystyc Cheez

Oh no... I thought that Nights was going to be taken out of Srb2, NOT added into it... D:
This will make me stop playing Srb2 forever... I hate Nights. I have never played the original game, nor will I ever, not in the near future at least... D:
First rail rings, now more Nights, what next?
Edit:
Okay, maybe I am being a little too retarded here... :/

Last edited by Mystery Cheese; 12-20-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Mystery Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #46
D00D64
Worst Ranked 'Kart Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery Cheese View Post
Oh no... I thought that Nights was going to be taken out of Srb2, NOT added into it... D:
This will make me stop playing Srb2 forever... I hate Nights. I have never played the original game, nor will I ever, not in the near future at least... D:
First rail rings, now more Nights, what next?
Edit:
Okay, maybe I am being a little too retarded here... :/
If you honestly think NiGHTS special stages, which were planned near the start, and were generally anticipated, with the NiGHTS unlockable actually being quite well liked, is enough to stop playing forever... Then I doubt you will be missed.

My awful Twitter account

My also awful YouTube channel
D00D64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #47
I'll Begin
💪🐑

I never really had an issue with the current special stages and its music, but okay.
I'll Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #48
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Personally, as the guy who designed them, I think they're kinda boring. For the most part they just consist of running around grabbing rings in patterns. For the later ones I put in a few interesting gimmicks, but the basic repetition is still there.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #49
Fred
Retired

I'm surprised nobody actually thought about making a linear special stage, like a standard single player level where you keep moving forward, except you have to collect rings and be quick on your feet. The most anyone's ever explored a special stage scenario different from the standard symmetrical box with rings was FuriousFox's progressively-expanding arenas in Acid Missile.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #50
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Chaotikal View Post
I'm surprised nobody actually thought about making a linear special stage, like a standard single player level where you keep moving forward, except you have to collect rings and be quick on your feet. The most anyone's ever explored a special stage scenario different from the standard symmetrical box with rings was FuriousFox's progressively-expanding arenas in Acid Missile.
Sure nobody has thought about it?
Old 12-21-2011   #51
Fred
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritCrusher View Post
Jesus Christ, I just knew some asshole would mention that. As far as I know, that never saw a public release, did it?

Legal disclaimer for SRB2MB's moderators: I'm obviously not flaming SpiritCrusher, it's just a joke. Calm down.
Old 12-21-2011   #52
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

No, it was never released. I vaguely remember some comments from Inuyasha that he scrapped them but no guarantees on that. ZarroTsu is currently making something similar to that though, except without any coding.

Last edited by MascaraSnake; 12-21-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-21-2011   #53
Fred
Retired

Going back to the Nights special stages for a minute, starting from Sonic 2, the special thing about special stages was that it put you in a 3D perspective that contrasted the sidescrolling nature of the main game. How fitting that in a 3D adaptation of the classic series, the special stages contrast the main gameplay by being in 2D.

If you go even further, remember those one-off moments in Sonic 2 and 3 where Sonic is rotating around a 3D tunnel or ramp of some sort just for graphical flair? Well the 2D sections in Egg Rock are just about as pointless, so SRB2 is definitely on the same page!
Old 12-21-2011   #54
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

I played Inuyasha's version a while back, and it's really quite obvious why it was scrapped: the controls just didn't feel right, and anything longer than the demonstrated video causes huge renderer problems, even despite the fact that it's pulling an ERZ3 and the entire thing is shrunken down.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #55
Steel Titanium
Developer

That explains why i couldn't find it in XSRB2 X-010.
Old 12-21-2011   #56
Kiairi The Black Mage
FF&NiponIchi lover

Omg this looks AWESHUM i can't wait!
Old 12-23-2011   #57
Jayoshi
Younger than SRB2

Default special stages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Chaotikal View Post
I'm surprised nobody actually thought about making a linear special stage, like a standard single player level where you keep moving forward, except you have to collect rings and be quick on your feet.
Hmm, this gave me an idea that you could make it to where you collect rings like you said in regular 3-D, then at one point, you switch to 2-D and collect rings in a pattern similar to project cyan, you jump on platforms for rings, and if you fall, you get on lower platforms with less rings to collect.

Anyways, NiGHTS special stages are coming. This will definitely make special stages less monotonous and more unique and exciting. I have a question, will the last few stages be relatively longer than the previous ones?

Last edited by Jayoshi; 12-23-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Jayoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011   #58
Zongalito
Great Sonic-Ideas

omg, this is so exciting, i really love nights, and i'm really happy with this, but i have a question, if slumber track and spring hill will be special stages, what will happen with sonic into dreams in the unlocable list?
Zongalito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011   #59
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

Mystic has hinted on numerous occasions that Spring Hill will be staying and that there will be "more", whatever "more" is. Make of that what you will, maybe Sonic Into Dreams will become a pack of several levels.
Old 12-24-2011   #60
Zongalito
Great Sonic-Ideas

A pack of several levels? if that is true, i will blow up of happyness, anyways this is a very cool update for the normal special stages, they are very hard and very dizzy, because every thing is with the same colour @.@

Last edited by Zongalito; 12-25-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Zongalito is offline   Reply With Quote