SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing > Editing Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2007   #21
Rob
Administrator
 
Rob's Avatar
Default

Palettes are indexed ACTs, if I recall. You'll have to fix that. Also, while it's a bit of a pain, you can alter the palette's colors manually in XWE. Look around a bit, you'll find it. I'm too lazy to explain how right now. X_X
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007   #22
Torgo
 
Torgo's Avatar
Default

You can also try deapsea and you can get the PLAYPAL lump from a indexed bmp.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #23
on Edge
 
on Edge's Avatar
Default

What's the best way to conserve lag when using massive amounts of FOFs?
on Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #24
Rob
Administrator
 
Rob's Avatar
Default

There really isn't, save hiding them behind sectors. And even then, it's not very effective.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #25
on Edge
 
on Edge's Avatar
Default

So how many FOFs does it take to C-Lag the game into unplayability?
on Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #26
Jazz
 
Jazz's Avatar
Default

I'm assuming that is based on the power of the computer's processor/video card. I doubt there is a preset number that will make the game lag to the point of unplayability.
__________________
Now that's a real game logo.
Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #27
Segmint
Permanently Banned
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by on Edge
What's the best way to conserve lag when using massive amounts of FOFs?
Use the least amount of linedefs for a sector, FOR the control sector (answer is 3 linedefs instead of a square 4).
Segmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #28
Kaysakado
Default

Actually, I'm not sure if this would break the game or not, since it isn't rendered, but try making your control scetor 1 linedef.
__________________
Join the Crashed Cafe!
Kaysakado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #29
Jazz
 
Jazz's Avatar
Default

Never tried that.

Hell, for all we know, it might work.

Though I don't understand why the number of linedefs on the control sector makes a difference. I figured it was just the raw number of FOFs created by the control sectors that mattered.
__________________
Now that's a real game logo.
Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #30
on Edge
 
on Edge's Avatar
Default

How could you set the heights and textures of the floor and ceiling, then?
on Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #31
Kaysakado
Default

Before you delete the extra linedefs, set it. The sector still exists, it's just hard to change its settings: You either need to zoom in really far and put your mouse near the linedef's front side, or manually edit the nodes.
__________________
Join the Crashed Cafe!
Kaysakado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #32
on Edge
 
on Edge's Avatar
Default

NVM but anyway:

Name: MysticRealm
Things: 245-259
States: 1358-1555
Maps: A1-AZ, B1-BZ, and C1-CO


Edit: 'Nother question. Why does A_Skullattack never work properly unless it's used by eggman?
on Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #33
Kaysakado
Default

Because Eggman uses MF_BOSS.
__________________
Join the Crashed Cafe!
Kaysakado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #34
on Edge
 
on Edge's Avatar
Default

I'm not stupid. My egg-clones used MF_Boss, but they still stall in front of the target, not touching, and not hurting Sonic. These were pretty much identiacal clones of eggman, and it failed.
on Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #35
Kaysakado
Default

Then hardcoded properties, I guess.
__________________
Join the Crashed Cafe!
Kaysakado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #36
on Edge
 
on Edge's Avatar
Default

1) When I save in XWE and such, I have to move the directory it saves to over and over again. Is there a way to fix that?

2) Is there a way to make custom names for freeslot sprites?

3) Is there a symbol for obsolete?

4) What is the best music editor?

5) What's the best format for music?

6) How many different colors do you need for realistic shading?

7) Why are all the characters in SRB2 so incredibly happy?

8) What makes the MR popular?
on Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #37
JEV3
There and back again~
 
JEV3's Avatar
Default

5) I think SRB2 uses ogg because it has around the same sort of quality as mp3 (afaik) and takes up far less space. It also has midi as optional, but I'm not entirely sure why.

6) More than you can get in SRB2 palette... =P Actually it really depends on the style you want to go for. Official SRB2 characters only have three to four main shades of one color, while some such as Senku and Nitro seem to try to use four to six shades of the base color. I find that shades need to be enough apart to have at least some different unless you really want a deep gradient. When the colors start to blend in similarity, I usually do every other one, or even skip two or three between shades for the sake of gradients with a good contrast.

7) Because it is a game? I think that if the characters were anything but happy, it would take away the cartoony feel of the game. I don't think Sonic was ever incredibly sad ingame in any of the games I've played. (not including cutscenes)

8) Because it is the MOST complete mod for SRB2 and has some of the best examples of how levels should be executed in SRB2. I personally think that JCZ, TVZ, and FRZ are the best zones even made, even though they didn't rank in my favorites. It does, however, seem to be considered negatively for the overtly familiar Aerial Garden Zone and the frustrating Verdant Forest Zone as far as I know.
__________________
"A man who's a dreamer and never takes leave, who thinks of a world that is just make believe
Will never know passion, will never know pain, who sits by the window will one day see rain..."

~The Greatest Adventure: Ballad of the Hobbit
JEV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #38
Torgo
 
Torgo's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by on Edge
3) Is there a symbol for obsolete?
Does this mean custom textures? I am not sure if there is a standard obsolete symbol.

Quote:
4) What is the best music editor?
I would say Cool edit, but you can't get that anymore. Adobe Audition is supposed to be the same. If you don't feel like spending money, I would say Audacity is good for some basic editing.

Quote:
5) What's the best format for music?
This depends on the situation. If you can, put midis in a wad, they take less space then an ogg or mp3. The problem is making them sound well. OGGs have pretty good quality and take less space then a mp3 of the same quality.

Quote:
6) How many different colors do you need for realistic shading?
I think the issue is the type of shading you choose to use. I think it also depends on the object. Just try to stay away from pillow shading.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #39
on Edge
 
on Edge's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEV3
6) Official SRB2 characters only have three to four main shades of one color, while some such as Senku and Nitro seem to try to use four to six shades of the base color. I find that shades need to be enough apart to have at least some different unless you really want a deep gradient. When the colors start to blend in similarity, I usually do every other one, or even skip two or three between shades for the sake of gradients with a good contrast.
Hmm... Thanks for the input. I'll see what I can do with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEV3
7) Because it is a game? I think that if the characters were anything but happy, it would take away the cartoony feel of the game. I don't think Sonic was ever incredibly sad ingame in any of the games I've played. (not including cutscenes)
Meh. I suppose, but some characters I would think need to be more drawn and sharper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEV3
8) Because it is the MOST complete mod for SRB2 and has some of the best examples of how levels should be executed in SRB2.
I agree with the completion thing, but some of the levels are simply _NOT_ how I want mine to look.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo
Quote:
Originally Posted by on Edge
3) Is there a symbol for obsolete?
Does this mean custom textures? I am not sure if there is a standard obsolete symbol.
I mean some thing like % or the paragraph symbol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo
Quote:
4) What is the best music editor?
I would say Cool edit, but you can't get that anymore. Adobe Audition is supposed to be the same. If you don't feel like spending money, I would say Audacity is good for some basic editing.
I'll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo
Quote:
5) What's the best format for music?
This depends on the situation. If you can, put midis in a wad, they take less space then an ogg or mp3. The problem is making them sound well. OGGs have pretty good quality and take less space then a mp3 of the same quality.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo
Quote:
6) How many different colors do you need for realistic shading?
I think the issue is the type of shading you choose to use. I think it also depends on the object. Just try to stay away from pillow shading.
OK I GET IT NO PILLOW SHADING

I'm past that. (I think.) Are there any other specific types of shading besides pillow shading and not pillow shading?
on Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #40
Kaysakado
Default

Umm... no.
__________________
Join the Crashed Cafe!
Kaysakado is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another MS issue topic by someone too lazy to type a proper topic subject Driftwood X Help 7 03-31-2010 02:27 AM
DashFox's Source Code Question Topic Kalaron Editing Help 33 06-27-2008 01:53 AM
A-star's question Topic A-star Editing Help 38 05-26-2008 08:00 PM
Superusuario´s question topic Superusuario Editing Help 10 04-22-2008 11:28 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.