SRB2Wiki: READ THIS BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Textures and Flats?

supersonicdude211 said:
Can you make topics of asking for textures and flats names?

In SRB2 Doom Builder, click on the texture (not the name, the actual texture), and press "tab".

OK, people. It's annoying. All these posts saying, "How do you do this?" even AFTER THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN MADE. Gosh.

READ THE WIKI FIRST.

If you don't know how to use a certain FOF, find its documentation on the Wiki! This is how I learned so much about many linedef types. If you still can't figure it out, look inside a level that actually uses the technique. This is how I made my first vertically moving platform.

I needed help making my first NiGHTS track (Racing into Dreams), but I checked the Wiki first and looked at Slumber Circuit for examples. THEN I ASKED DIGIKU. After that, since NiGHTS track creation documentation was not well written, I decided to make my own NiGHTS Tutorial.

So, please, people. Do the same.

change topic to all caps. Really helps!

Or install some mod that makes the text Xbox huge. I've seen Saz do it on the CulT forums when he had something important to say.

Hi,

I'm reading SRB2 Doom Builder Tutorial. I started from 1st chapter and now I reached this part (it's about FOFs):

Doing It Manually

Let's make a 32 × 32 control sector. (The size of the control sector for an FOF does not matter, by the way.) Specify the top height of the block as the control sector's ceiling height (we'll choose 512). Specify the bottom height of the block as the control sector's floor height (we'll choose 480).

Now select any linedef in the control sector. In the Properties tab, give it an action of "FOF (Shadowcasting)", which is Linedef Type 25. Now give it Linedef Tag 2, because it is applied to the sector with Sector Tag 2. As for specifying the texture you want for the FOF, we do so for a middle front texture. And we'll choose a different wall texture (for once). Let's set it to THZROCK.
Doing It Manually

Well, I created 1st FOF by using the Wizard, until now ok. After this, tutorial explains how to create a 2nd FOF in same sector (and this must be done manually). I tried to follow the tutorial, but I didn't succeed in making 2nd FOF, it didn't appear when I tested the map.

I think it's lacking some steps in this part I quoted. I made 32 × 32 control sector, I made a 2nd sector inside of 1st sector, then tutorial orders me to "Specify the top height of the block"(?). Isn't it lacking something here?

Thanks

Ezer Arch, I still need to finish that, darnit. I seriously used up WAY too much free time working on my level; this explains the laziness. Now I have time.

Dark Warrior said:
This actually addresses that.

Thanks, that helped me a bit. Even so, I had to hit my head some more to understand it. >.<

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
(...) this explains the laziness. Now I have time.

No rush, don't worry. What serves MB for? ;-D

I tried again to stack FOFs. I'll explain what I did step-by-step:

1) Draw a sector inside level (let's suppose: sector 12)
2) Draw two control sectors out of level (sectors 13 and 14)

3) Select sector 13 and double-click on it
4) In Appearance: Ceiling height=240; Floor height=200; OK

5) Select sector 14 and double-click on it
6) In Appearance: Ceiling height=340; Floor height=300; OK

5) Select sector 12 and double-click on it
6) In Action: Tag=3 (I already used Tag 1 and 2); OK

7) Select a linedef of sector 13 and double-click on it
8) In Properties / Action: Linedef Action=25; Sector Tag=3; OK

9) Select a linedef of sector 14 and double-click on it
10) In Properties / Action: Linedef Action=25; Sector Tag=3; OK

Testing >>> I got multiple FOFs!

But I have the following problems:

1. FOFs got horrendous textures: so I clicked on tagged linedefs and I changed front side middle texture. Worked fine. But FOFs' ceilings got FLOOR0_6 (grass) as texture; and floors got a black floor. Where I set textures I want to?

2. My FOFs aren't casting shadows. I want upper FOF casting shadow on lower FOF, and lower one casting on floor.

3. I'd like to know how I put grass borders in FOFs'.

For kindness, can someone help me with it?

EDIT: Off: May I continue posting doubts about Wiki tutorials here or it'll be better I post a new topic?

The control sectors have to have a floor flat and ceiling flat. The ceiling texture of the FOF control sector is what you see on the top; the floor texture of the FOF control sector is what you see as the bottom.

FOFs cast shadows if you set the brightness of the FOF control sector to a lower light level than the sector inside the map. The brightness value is in the lower left corner of the Sector Edit dialog box. To do what you did, try setting the top FOF control sector to a brightness of 208 and the bottom FOF control sector to a brightness of 176.

Grass borders can be put on FOFs by aligning the Y offsets. See this link. However, with what you described, you can only put one grass border. Choose which FOF is going to have it.

Some years later...

I'm having a lot of fun with DB.

srb2win2008-06-3000-10-56-64.png

srb2win2008-06-3000-15-06-00.png

Thanks for helping me!

God Menu

On SRB2 Wiki, it says stuff about the God Menu. I can't find anything about it in the source code and what versions of SRB2 is it in???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back