Confirmed Polyobjects got worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritz

Subhedgehog
Sonic Team Junior
RadiantAlarmedAmericanshorthair.gif

Good: You guys fixed the teleport-to-ground bug when dropping off the back edges! Bad: My polyobjects now have texture ghosts clinging to the ceiling. Worse: They now negate all forward velocity, so it's impossible to actually run forward on these things. The sector they occupy contains a custom FOF water block (upper texture 1021).

Was an attempt made to improve player traction? On rare instances where I can get the player to stand perfectly still on the platform, it takes way longer for me to slip off. Rare enough that I couldn't record it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I think the problem is with how the water forces you to move at a slow pace, thus you can't keep up with the momentum the polyobject is going at.

I don't know exactly, just speculating...

Slightly of track

In relation to poly-objects. There is a glitch on silver cascade [the CTF map] where you can get the flag trapped in the moving piston-thing in the base. I thought it would of been fixed in 2.1.15 but it isn't

It can be retrieved with a Whirlwind shield, but it's invisible and can ruin the flow of the game.

Oh, this?
srb20100.gif

That's not a polyobject, it's a sector with Continuous Floor\Ceiling Mover.

Last edited:
So, I think the problem is with how the water forces you to move at a slow pace, thus you can't keep up with the momentum the polyobject is going at.
If that's the case, it's still contingent on a physics tweak that wasn't present in 2.1.14. The scene hasn't been modified and this wasn't a problem before, so I wanna know what's up.

Last edited:
Quick question to Ritz: do those PolyObjects have back side midtextures by any chance? We at the dev team recently noticed the same problem happens with the PolyObject rope lift in ACZ1, and I'm just asking to make sure I'm on the right track.

Incidentally, I blame all the new changes relating to midtexture effects added to 2.1.15, an exe I have around with slopes not compiled doesn't appear to display the bug for ACZ1's lift at least. =V

So wait, PolyObjects in SRB2 are walkable ?
Yeah. That "sideways-lift" thingie in ACZ1 is a PolyObject (well, several, I think), and I think it has been there since at least 2.1.0 (although the top and bottom textures/Flats only started rendering in 2.1.something), and was walkable from then 'til now.

Quick question to Ritz: do those PolyObjects have back side midtextures by any chance?
Yep, removing them fixed the ceiling garbage. You're definitely on the right track about the solid midtextures flag being the culprit- just noticed the ceiling textures are solid, but only when hit from the side opposite whatever direction the object is traveling in (sounds familiar).

And while I'm at it, turns out the speed of the character has no bearing on the player's traction here. Tails can stay on the platform about as long as Sonic can.

Oh, is that so? The Solid Midtexture flag should only affect collision though, not rendering ...still, that is a useful find.

Just an update, the "texture ghosts" I reckon should be fixed in next now. The physics issues haven't been touched yet, on the other hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back