Slopes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virt

Trollerskates
I don't see the big deal of having no "real" slopes in SRB2. Just do what you guys did in GFZ2 in that cave thing! Those stairs were good enough for me. Just alter the textures on the sides a bit and POW! Perfect slope--- I mean illusion.

Slopes =/= Slope Physics

Give me those, and I won't care about 9001 stair slopes like in GFZ2.

Going uphill without having to jump multiple times on stairs or go up an elevator.
Oh, a platformer where you don't have jump, how interesting...

Seriously, these things are called staircases and have not much in common with sloped like Sonic games use them.

I belive we already have that; it's called a ramp sector.

That isn't like a slope at all; Ramp up just increases step up. By slope physics, I mean it makes you go slower upon going higher, makes you faster upon coming down, slides you down slightly before you stop when you don't move, and jumping off a slope at an angle.

Closest we got to that right now is the Ramp sector combined with conveyor belts. I've been experimenting with line def action 520 and the GFZ act 2 imitation slope to try to give it imitation slope physics. I'll be posting a video of the experiment later.

Sonic Team Jr. Says they can't do slopes for on reason or another. But they don't seem to know, they already have the base for slope physics.
Alright, now, where are the vector calculations to make you jump perpendicular to the slope's face? And how about slopes that change their planes irregularly? How about making you fly off a slope if you're running fast enough?
Stop trying to make slopes, guys, it's not possible, and if it is, bad hacks need to be applied to at least fake the feeling of it being a slope.
Virt, as has been pointed out, your suggestion has been suggested million times before, and still have the same failures. I won't question the use of not needing to jump to access different heights, because I know that stuff is useful. Whether or not people consider it "platformer" worthy enough or not.

Exactly what kind of physics are these "slopes" trying to replicate anyway. o.O
IRL if you walk up a slope, you wouldn't really be slipping like that, unless it was ice, your feet would lock you in place. Unless it was a really steep slope.

Yep, you should slip when it's around 45 degrees. As far as fake slopes go, that's a little close. But people seem to mostly care about the angle of your jump, so it won't matter if you can slip or not.

Alright, now, where are the vector calculations to make you jump perpendicular to the slope's face? And how about slopes that change their planes irregularly? How about making you fly off a slope if you're running fast enough?
Stop trying to make slopes, guys, it's not possible, and if it is, bad hacks need to be applied to at least fake the feeling of it being a slope.
Virt, as has been pointed out, your suggestion has been suggested million times before, and still have the same failures. I won't question the use of not needing to jump to access different heights, because I know that stuff is useful. Whether or not people consider it "platformer" worthy enough or not.

Does jump perpendicular to the slope's face mean you jump like this?
floorslopejump.png

I'm just having trouble picturing it at this time of day.

Also, what do you mean by slopes that change their planes irregularly? Something like this?
sonic_3d_blast.gif

Because this is the type of slope I imagine SRB2 to be able to eventually handle.

Or did you mean something more like what Emerald Hill has?

Flying off the slope (taken from what I typed up on my idea for how slopes could work):If the slope were to launch a player, the sector effect should be Slope-Launch. Slope-Launch would be like a spring thing, except it is not a thing type and the strength is determined by the player's speed and the height of the neighboring sector

Alt Slope Launch, another version of the Slope-Launch would be an invisible spring that has it's power affected by the player's speed and would only work when tagged to a sector with the Slope effect.

You know, people have been talking about slopes in SRB2 for almost 10 years now. If 'it's possible', don't you think it would have been done by now?

All of the game code would need to be rewritten to use vectors instead of cartesian coordinates. The game is not designed to work like that AT ALL. The map format isn't even conducive to it. Just give up already.

For a full vector-based system, see Wizard2

Last edited:
You're talking about the rendering of slopes in SRB2, right?

What's a cartesian coordinate anyway?

You're talking about the rendering of slopes in SRB2, right?

What's a cartesian coordinate anyway?
|
|
| X
|
----- |-----
|
|
|
|
The cartesian co-ordinate of X is (03, 03).

Do you understand?

(Sorry, seems VBulletin removed my whitespace, the vertical lines should be at the center of the horizontal lines horizontally).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back