• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 -- Expansion Pack or whatever

eWLlanp.png

Looking at these blocks of ice, it may be a wise idea to have more irregular blocks, as well as make said blocks FOF's, as it would increase it immensly.

Also, does the water here deal damage? It may be a wise idea to lower the depth of the water here.

Looking at these blocks of ice, it may be a wise idea to have more irregular blocks, as well as make said blocks FOF's, as it would increase it immensly.

Also, does the water here deal damage? It may be a wise idea to lower the depth of the water here.

Yes, the water is having the sector effect "Damage (Water)" so, it is having damage, I have tested it too.

Ok, lets make water's depth less...(later)

ice cap zone screenshots

Okay yeah, I'll have to openly say these are bad. I think you should easily be able to notice what exactly is the problem with these : They are ABSOLUTELY gigantic and utterly devoid of content. You should be able to notice that any good level for SRB2 didn't have such empty and flat zones (and if it DID, it was kept away from player access and was probably well decorated, you know, used as scenery).

How can you remedy this? Simple, add more content! I don't mean that in a MAKE MORE AREAS way, hell no, you've got a a goddamn parking lot as a canvas for your paintbrush, don't try to invade the shopping mall tied to it.

Add content to what you already have, make it feel less empty. You might want to shrink some of the stuff you've done to accomplish this easier, but that's not to say that the official levels didn't have well done wide and tall areas, take a look at ACZ1:

srb20178.png

Remember that area? It's absolutely GIGANTIC, but it doesn't feel empty, because it has vertical climbing, sector scenery and multiple paths. Not only do you use the upper rocks to get to the new area, you can also come here from the right path at the start, giving the whole area a much more "accessible" feel. You know, instead of being a wide and tall room, it's a wide and tall room CLEARLY connected to other paths.

srb20179.png

This one's a beauty too. You don't just drop down and continue on; you can either drop down and enter one of the two split paths, OR go above and enter the OTHER two split paths, which can be used with a little quicksteps as Sonic (Or just flying as Tails, loltails). All of these choices are presented in one big room. But you don't FEEL that, because it's got a few rocks to distract you, a few decorations to the sides, a nice little waterfall, and the gates to all 4 areas. It's LIVELY.

srb20180.png

This one's a doozy, since I remember some people not being happy with this area, but it gets my point across so oh well

It's one giant pit at first glance right? But it presents you with a gimmick previously introduced, and uses it in a difficult setting. It's also got a few backup platforms in case you mess up.

It's got twists and turns, rocks coming up from the ground, rocks coming down from the CEILING(which is in its separate area, remember, you can have the same floor but have different ceilings, this can be very useful to exploit), platforms with DIFFERENT heights so it's not just flat. Basically it's a challenge with many approaches and many strategies. It's not a wide large pit, it's a wide large pit with GAMEPLAY.

That's all I gotta say on this matter. You can do more stuff with what you have, keep going. I'm not content with what you have RIGHT NOW, but I believe you can improve and make good stuff by looking at other levels and see what THEY did right. That's when good stuff happens.

also when anyone copies an image post while keeping all the images in the quote, a puppy dies from terminal 7 , think of the puppies

Okay yeah, I'll have to openly say these are bad. I think you should easily be able to notice what exactly is the problem with these : They are ABSOLUTELY gigantic and utterly devoid of content. You should be able to notice that any good level for SRB2 didn't have such empty and flat zones (and if it DID, it was kept away from player access and was probably well decorated, you know, used as scenery).

How can you remedy this? Simple, add more content! I don't mean that in a MAKE MORE AREAS way, hell no, you've got a a goddamn parking lot as a canvas for your paintbrush, don't try to invade the shopping mall tied to it.

Add content to what you already have, make it feel less empty. You might want to shrink some of the stuff you've done to accomplish this easier, but that's not to say that the official levels didn't have well done wide and tall areas, take a look at ACZ1:

srb20178.png

Remember that area? It's absolutely GIGANTIC, but it doesn't feel empty, because it has vertical climbing, sector scenery and multiple paths. Not only do you use the upper rocks to get to the new area, you can also come here from the right path at the start, giving the whole area a much more "accessible" feel. You know, instead of being a wide and tall room, it's a wide and tall room CLEARLY connected to other paths.

srb20179.png

This one's a beauty too. You don't just drop down and continue on; you can either drop down and enter one of the two split paths, OR go above and enter the OTHER two split paths, which can be used with a little quicksteps as Sonic (Or just flying as Tails, loltails). All of these choices are presented in one big room. But you don't FEEL that, because it's got a few rocks to distract you, a few decorations to the sides, a nice little waterfall, and the gates to all 4 areas. It's LIVELY.

srb20180.png

This one's a doozy, since I remember some people not being happy with this area, but it gets my point across so oh well

It's one giant pit at first glance right? But it presents you with a gimmick previously introduced, and uses it in a difficult setting. It's also got a few backup platforms in case you mess up.

It's got twists and turns, rocks coming up from the ground, rocks coming down from the CEILING(which is in its separate area, remember, you can have the same floor but have different ceilings, this can be very useful to exploit), platforms with DIFFERENT heights so it's not just flat. Basically it's a challenge with many approaches and many strategies. It's not a wide large pit, it's a wide large pit with GAMEPLAY.

That's all I gotta say on this matter. You can do more stuff with what you have, keep going. I'm not content with what you have RIGHT NOW, but I believe you can improve and make good stuff by looking at other levels and see what THEY did right. That's when good stuff happens.

also when anyone copies an image post while keeping all the images in the quote, a puppy dies from terminal 7 , think of the puppies

OK...
Let me edit more.
Thanks for the suggestions =).

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Maybe, I will also put Lat's AMT Crawla in my wad, but the textures of my Super Crawla will be there.

Ok, here's the thing: these levels aren't exactly bad, they're actually pretty good for a beginner, but the problem is how boring they look.

They would probably look better if you used a wider variety of textures and put in a few enemies, ring boxes, and background objects. Also, as many people have already said, the wide open spaces may need to be fixed.

I'll also add edit and add some animated textures from SRB2.SRB included textures (if this is not allowed then I'll not do...).

One of them is this for Robotnik's Revenge's centre texture-

lfy22.gif

This is for the Disco Theme-

lgavg.gif
Yes, this is bad.. But this is the one that can fit in SRB2's palette...

This one is for Magmic Goop Zone -

lfymw.gif

Last edited:
Not meaning to be rude, but I think I'm gonna get epileptic if I watch that Disco texture for too long. Make it flash slower, you might want to shade it a bit as well, like the official srb2 disco texture does. Speaking of which, why are you not just simply using it?

The magmic goop one looks good, but I think it should gradually glow from dark to light instead of almost instantly. But those are just pointless advices from a pointless guy, so feel free to fellow them or ... Ugh... *falls*

Not meaning to be rude, but I think I'm gonna get epileptic if I watch that Disco texture for too long. Make it flash slower, you might want to shade it a bit as well, like the official srb2 disco texture does. Speaking of which, why are you not just simply using it?

The magmic goop one looks good, but I think it should gradually glow from dark to light instead of almost instantly. But those are just pointless advices from a pointless guy, so feel free to fellow them or ... Ugh... *falls*

Ok, now the flash is slower...

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

And, lets shade the disco theme =)

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

I have shaded the disco flat.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Now, time for truth, tommorow Robotnik's Revenge's screenshots will come.

Last edited:
The first texture doesn't even seems to fit the SRB2 palette either. You should try converting it to the game's palette first to have a better look of how it would look. Same goes for the second texture.

The first texture doesn't even seems to fit the SRB2 palette either. You should try converting it to the game's palette first to have a better look of how it would look. Same goes for the second texture.

No, 2nd texture supports SRB2's palette, I have tested it.

Oh wait! I forgot to tell I have made my own palette like Color-PalPlus.wad

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Or maybe, still, it does'nt fit in SRB2 palette and my palette...

Are those textures, screen recordings?

they look like they were edited from a picture from a digital camera.

Well, no.
They were just repeated in a gif image form.
And, these are not from a picture from a camera, I used photoshop.

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

The disco image that fits the Pal-ColorPlus.wad has been uploaded

Maybe i could help with the levels, and we can work on them together? I'm pretty good at FOFs, things on FOFs and FOFs over FOFs, so i could be a HUGE help with the level design.

Super Update -

Match Levels = 2

Green Ruins Zone-
GIF Image

Download Link- (Because some of you were requesting me for puting a link so its here.)

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/489389/srb20006.gif

Red Caverns Zone-
GIF Image

Download Link-

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/489392/srb20007.gif

The copy-pasted TITLESKY.LMP is now fixed, (the neo metal sonic spirits are not mine)

Download Link-

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/489396/srb20009.gif

Greeny Arenas Zone video on my Worst channel-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyQ7CmIJSvQ

Tech Trap Zone Act 2 Done-
ScreenShots-

http://i.imgur.com/9WEJvZH.png

http://i.imgur.com/4hUdCm4.png

Robotnik's Revenge (Yup, I was banned so I could not post them...)

http://i.imgur.com/Ag9kCRz.png

http://i.imgur.com/vpbneXf.png

And, that's all...

Last edited:
Red Caverns Zone-
GIF Image
uh

I can tell you're getting better at visual design, but you might want to reconsider a few of your choices. First of all, this looks like a clone of THZ. Not just because it's a factory, but because almost all of the flats/textures (besides those awfully simplistic wall textures you used on the thok barrier) and gimmicks are from THZ. The least you could do is introduce a new type of liquid to use instead of THZ's purple slime.

Remember, the whole reason for creating custom maps is to provide the player with a different experience from the original game. What's the fun in playing a custom level that already looks and plays like a level from the original game? My suggestion is to get out a scrap sheet of paper or something, jot down ideas for unique maps, and then build upon those ideas until you get exactly what you want out of them. It'll make the creation process a lot funner, as opposed to just recreating what you've already seen before.

Second of all, the enemy placement looks a bit ridiculous. I understand the mentality that enemies are the main form of obstacles, but really having a big clump of crawlas in one area that a player could easily jump/spindash through doesn't serve up much of a challenge. If anything, it makes the map more annoying to play. Try having a regular amount of enemies, and make most of the challenge come from sector-based obstacles. It'll be more interesting, and it leaves you more room to be creative.

To add to that:
Enemies placed poorly are basically free points in SRB2, with the exception of the more annoying ones. Lots of enemies clumped together is basically free extra lives. The main form of challenge in SRB2 comes from sector design and environmental hazards. Enemies play off the environment drawing the player to a specific location, or slowing the player so that the player can be attacked.

Greeny Arenas and Egg Mobile config are updated.
I don't know even how fast I have updated the Greeny Arenas page but now (maybe) it is the last one.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back