• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Playable Sonic by r543

Status
Not open for further replies.
srb20006.gif

Here is a preview of the 3d model version(I'll use the 3d sprites as a base because it takes ages to create all of the sprites I need).
This Sonic plays like the default one but with a homing attack, which is almost as fast as a thok.

Looking quite good! You're quite the amazing spriter here. :P
The .gif isn't a sprited sprite. It's made from a ripped sonic unleashed model, which I animated, and then created sprites of it.(I had to find a good way to convert it to srb2's palette and add all frames into srb2).

Most of the animations look good, but his walking animation is a little awkward-looking.

Thanks, I was thinking about releasing a "sonic clone" version, so everyone can test the sprites and animations and then work on the custom abilities, but I don't know if I can release a demo version here.

I've seen many demo versions of wads released in editing topics before, so I don't see why it should be a problem. I'm sure the rules allow you to release a demo but not a finished version.

It actually kinda looks like a redrawn sceenshot of the model itself. Neat!

It is, sadly.

While the original plan of you redrawing the model as actual sprites was a nice idea and would've been great, you just ripping screenshots of the model isn't as nice in the least bit. At least with the actual sprites, you'd have a nice looking wad that obviously took work and would've been a welcome addition. However, in this situation, it'd just be easier to add an MD2 of Sonic instead of making an entire wad of sprites, the animation wouldn't be nearly as choppy. It just isn't worth it for you to use screenshots of an actual model as sprites, it looks ugly, and the only difference between this and sonic would be the Homing Attack, which isn't interesting or unique enough to arouse interest in wad itself.

I have no idea on how to create that "light effect" on the 45 and 90 degree frames. I've changed the coloring a lot and it isn't pillowshading anymore.

If you're having trouble with shading, I recommend looking at this. It only covers basic lighting though. For shiny things, I recommend just looking at sprites from various games for reference. Also, although it uses limited colors, I think Sonic Advance might be a good place to look for reference, since Sonic's design is very similar.

As for the outline you mentioned in that giant spoiler from a few weeks ago (I was out of town, sorry), that's really just up to personal preference.

I personally don't think an outline should be there unless it blends into the shading when it comes to sprites, and I generally dislike sprites with dark or black outlines. That's just me though, and if you like it like that, keep it.

Also, I brightened the eyes like that to match Unleashed in particular, in which they stand out like that. That's just my personal preference too, though. I think Sonic 06 (inb4) and Sonic Unleashed did eyes the best.

It is, sadly.

While the original plan of you redrawing the model as actual sprites was a nice idea and would've been great, you just ripping screenshots of the model isn't as nice in the least bit. At least with the actual sprites, you'd have a nice looking wad that obviously took work and would've been a welcome addition. However, in this situation, it'd just be easier to add an MD2 of Sonic instead of making an entire wad of sprites, the animation wouldn't be nearly as choppy. It just isn't worth it for you to use screenshots of an actual model as sprites, it looks ugly, and the only difference between this and sonic would be the Homing Attack, which isn't interesting or unique enough to arouse interest in wad itself.
I didn't change the original plan. I'm going to take the 3d model sprites as a base for the sprited sprites, but I'll use the 3d sprites for now because it takes very long to create sprites out of images.
I don't like how the md2 model slowly goes from idle to wait. If I used a md2, it would've created "false" animation frames for the running animation, which made it look bad. I'll probably release a md2 version later, but for now, I'm going to work on the real wad, because this will have extra abilities.

If you're having trouble with shading, I recommend looking at this. It only covers basic lighting though. For shiny things, I recommend just looking at sprites from various games for reference. Also, although it uses limited colors, I think Sonic Advance might be a good place to look for reference, since Sonic's design is very similar.

As for the outline you mentioned in that giant spoiler from a few weeks ago (I was out of town, sorry), that's really just up to personal preference.

I personally don't think an outline should be there unless it blends into the shading when it comes to sprites, and I generally dislike sprites with dark or black outlines. That's just me though, and if you like it like that, keep it.

Also, I brightened the eyes like that to match Unleashed in particular, in which they stand out like that. That's just my personal preference too, though. I think Sonic 06 (inb4) and Sonic Unleashed did eyes the best.
Most of Srb2's sprites have a palette with a lot of colors(6 colors for blue, white......), while "normal" sprites only have 3 for each color. I changed the eyes because it looked too bright(when I first did the sprite), but I like the bright eyes now so I'm going to keep it.

I didn't change the original plan. I'm going to take the 3d model sprites as a base for the sprited sprites, but I'll use the 3d sprites for now because it takes very long to create sprites out of images.
I don't like how the md2 model slowly goes from idle to wait. If I used a md2, it would've created "false" animation frames for the running animation, which made it look bad. I'll probably release a md2 version later, but for now, I'm going to work on the real wad, because this will have extra abilities.

Most of Srb2's sprites have a palette with a lot of colors(6 colors for blue, white......), while "normal" sprites only have 3 for each color. I changed the eyes because it looked too bright(when I first did the sprite), but I like the bright eyes now so I'm going to keep it.
Okay, 2 things I see wrong here. First, It is 12 for each color, And the default used is about 8-12, I'm sure. You want to shade it as much as possible, or else it will be flat and have much color banding. Also, good luck on the transition from model to sprite. Please don't let it look Pre-rendered, There is already a bad example of what happens in UglyKnux. Bleh.
Okay, its 12 most colors, 6 some, 7 & 5 less, and I think there is one instance of 4 & 8. But I hope to god not.

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

It is, sadly.

He did say he planned on giving him abilities, it says somewhere earlier...

Last edited:
Okay, 2 things I see wrong here. First, It is 12 for each color, And the default used is about 8-12, I'm sure. You want to shade it as much as possible, or else it will be flat and have much color banding. Also, good luck on the transition from model to sprite. Please don't let it look Pre-rendered, There is already a bad example of what happens in UglyKnux. Bleh.
Okay, its 12 most colors, 6 some, 7 & 5 less, and I think there is one instance of 4 & 8. But I hope to god not.

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

He did say he planned on giving him abilities, it says somewhere earlier...
Most custom characters don't use that much colors, srb2's use some extra pixels. The problem is that I need to take the sonic advance shading, but with way more palettes, going to try my best on this.
Model to Sprite will be completely redrawn, so I'm only taking the main character wad as a base and for sprites(so I don't have to create 200 frames to only test one wad).

I think that my pre rendner of the unleashed model looks nice, so I'm going to keep a version with that(which is going to be the base for the sprites), uglyknux wasn't rendnered that good, so he had some random pixels and his 3d model didn't look "perfect"(I think it's ok but I understand people that don't like it).

Yes, Unleashed Sonic is going to get abilities, I was thinking about the following ones:

Boost
I have 2 ideas for a Boost, a unleashed wii one, where you get a boost use(which is around 5 seconds and can be cancelled at any time by releasing the button) for 10 rings.
The other idea is that it's like the modern boost, used in every other game.

Waterrun
Like in Unleashed, maybe I'll make it slow the player down if you don't boost.

Homing Attack
I'm trying to fix the srb2 homing attack, so it's way more useful and messes up less times.

Lightdash
Again, different than the released one, so you don't get hit from most lightdashes.

I'll probably make him slower than the normal sonic and reduce the acceleration so it's more balanced.

Most custom characters don't use that much colors, srb2's use some extra pixels. The problem is that I need to take the sonic advance shading, but with way more palettes, going to try my best on this.
Model to Sprite will be completely redrawn, so I'm only taking the main character wad as a base and for sprites(so I don't have to create 200 frames to only test one wad).

I think that my pre rendner of the unleashed model looks nice, so I'm going to keep a version with that(which is going to be the base for the sprites), uglyknux wasn't rendnered that good, so he had some random pixels and his 3d model didn't look "perfect"(I think it's ok but I understand people that don't like it).

Yes, Unleashed Sonic is going to get abilities, I was thinking about the following ones:

Boost
I have 2 ideas for a Boost, a unleashed wii one, where you get a boost use(which is around 5 seconds and can be cancelled at any time by releasing the button) for 10 rings.
The other idea is that it's like the modern boost, used in every other game.

Waterrun
Like in Unleashed, maybe I'll make it slow the player down if you don't boost.

Homing Attack
I'm trying to fix the srb2 homing attack, so it's way more useful and messes up less times.

Lightdash
Again, different than the released one, so you don't get hit from most lightdashes.

I'll probably make him slower than the normal sonic and reduce the acceleration so it's more balanced.
Oh. I meant shades.

Here is a update on sonic, I redid the super sonic animation(took Wii Unleashed as a base) and the hit sprites, for both super and normal:
srb20008.gif

Super Currently has green eyes, that can be fixed for his super frames but not for the jump.
The Flashing Palette destroys some of the shading and the converting removed the back spike, so maybe I'll redo the super sprites.

Here is a update on sonic, I redid the super sonic animation(took Wii Unleashed as a base) and the hit sprites, for both super and normal:
srb20008.gif

Super Currently has green eyes, that can be fixed for his super frames but not for the jump.
The Flashing Palette destroys some of the shading and the converting removed the back spike, so maybe I'll redo the super sprites.

The sprite/model itself looks fine. The flashing however, does not. It's really annoying to see that quick flashing whenever you're super in 2.1. The devs really need to slow that down.

Did you redraw the sprites or is that taken from the model?

The sprite/model itself looks fine. The flashing however, does not. It's really annoying to see that quick flashing whenever you're super in 2.1. The devs really need to slow that down.

Did you redraw the sprites or is that taken from the model?

The flashing destroys the shading. I already fixed Super Tails' palette:

ZSmMcY3.png

I'd like to be able to create more super palettes and select if they flash(for singleplayer), but it doesn't look like it's going to happen soon.

I reanimated the super animations(I have backups of the old ones) then created new sprites from it and conveted it to srb2.

Anyways, release time:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101906379/newunleashedtest.wad
First Test of it, it's called newunleashed because this one uses the 3d sprites.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101906379/newuneashedupdate1.wad
First Update, now has better super frames and hit frames.

This isn't the final release or a real release, this is still in beta, no abilities are added yet so it's still a sonic clone.

Note that this is a demo and not a real release, so no reason to lock or close this post. Looking at you speedwagon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back