• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

(WIP) Green Greens Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

camsPatience

resident ram boy
Hi, everyone! I'm here posting one of my WIPs. It's the Green Greens Zone. (unoriginal name. :| ) These screenshots are from a netgame.

Screenies
k31i6addui1rd4qfg.jpg

This isn't very pleasant to me and I'd like to add more decoration.

npsdwn3qik2ahugfg.jpg

I personally say this needs more enemies. Also, still bland. Please note that this is a first map.
Not much more to say here. I'd like to have help with making this, as scrolling textures aren't working at all. Thanks for viewing this thread!

*shown in screenshots

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope this level becomes something great, but at the moment, it looks like an average Green Hill Zone re-imagined into 3D type of level. Very skinny, short, and surrounded by endless ocean. So far it looks like it has 2-3 textures. I'm not going to bash on you though considering its
1) your first level
2) very early in development.

First levels are always good to get used to the mapping programs, but should still have the basic quality of other levels, ie. good visuals, definite level design, enemy placement etc. I'd recommend first playing around with DooM Builder and seeing what it is you can do, before making a full on stage, or test around in your first stage and see what you learned and use it in your level before showing it publicly (though I did a similar thing with Splash Hill Zone being my first level; making a topic about it with little to show upon).

Try to focus on learning the stuff first, then mixing the stuff together, while keeping in mind the basic qualities that levels need.

Yes, nice map. It needs ONLY to conitnue.
Or this map is so good.
* TailsEgeTC* is me :P
----------------------------
So, why i am renamed form SonicEgeTC* to TailsEgeTC* idk rly :P

Looks pretty good so far. Do you plan on releasing a beta version of the level?
I'll be releasing a beta soon, hopefully.

I hope this level becomes something great, but at the moment, it looks like an average Green Hill Zone re-imagined into 3D type of level. Very skinny, short, and surrounded by endless ocean. So far it looks like it has 2-3 textures. I'm not going to bash on you though considering its
1) your first level
2) very early in development.
Thanks for the support. (and for not bashing, XD)

First levels are always good to get used to the mapping programs, but should still have the basic quality of other levels, ie. good visuals, definite level design, enemy placement etc. I'd recommend first playing around with DooM Builder and seeing what it is you can do, before making a full on stage, or test around in your first stage and see what you learned and use it in your level before showing it publicly (though I did a similar thing with Splash Hill Zone being my first level; making a topic about it with little to show upon).

Try to focus on learning the stuff first, then mixing the stuff together, while keeping in mind the basic qualities that levels need.
Thanks for the help, TheDoctor. I've screwed around with SRB2DB already, but I need to do it more. :D

Yes, nice map. It needs ONLY to continue.
Or this map is so good.
* TailsEgeTC* is me :P
----------------------------
So, why i am renamed form SonicEgeTC* to TailsEgeTC* idk rly :P
Unneeded ending is unneeded. On topic, thanks for the support. Also, corrected. :|

Thank you all for the support. It helps when I'm supported on a project.

Hello!

Hey guys! Me and Hazard have started updating Green Greens Zone (I still like that title) and we've started planning ideas.
Here are some Screenies I took. If you see some fire, that's just hazard playing around! :3

srb20021_zpsf950e5e7.png

srb20023_zpse6563d4c.png

srb20024_zps7ebe51c9.png

srb20025_zps13a7130f.png

srb20026_zpsaeff63a7.png

We're making this into a level pack too. Expect more things in future!

The scenery looks very nice I think. I suggest adding some more sector-based scenery though and use GFZROCK instead of the current wall textures because the squares in these textures are bigger, making large walls nicer to look at.

The scenery looks very nice I think. I suggest adding some more sector-based scenery though and use GFZROCK instead of the current wall textures because the squares in these textures are bigger, making large walls nicer to look at.

Or they could perhaps take this texture, upscale it X4.

This is looking a bit better than it did at the beginning of the thread but
it still suffers from being very linear. imagine the start of GFZ2 without the walls. you end up with this. long story short, expand it outwards and not anymore in length. (if that makes sense)

Last edited:
Update! Finally!

...and you thought this project was dead...

Sonic: The New Age
Made by Tonic and Hazard
randomcopyright

That's the name for our Level Pack! We haven't finished a level yet but we've updated them and they look alright!
The 2nd zone has been planned to be an Ice Castle called Frozen Fortress Zone

Anyway, here are some screenies of Green Greens Zone 1 and 2
srb20082_zps6b5c8e43.png

NEW ENEMY! Motobugs are really the same as crawlas, but they wont stop chasing people when they spawn! Jeez...
srb20083_zpsa7187a7b.png

I think I may of DIMPS'd it.
srb20084_zpse1ea1431.png

OMG CORNERS
srb20085_zpsa6627da7.png

Gateway to Green Hill Zone (not really)

I'll be blunt: Your level is as bland as heck. You need to add more vertical variation and sector based scenery. And by vertical variation, I mean everything shouldn't be flat.

add more vertical variation and sector based scenery.

There are totem poles like GHZ. Also Sonic Adventure got away with it in their GHZ. So I don't know what your complaining about.
Even SRB2 has some flat scenery like CEZ2.
But I accept your requested challenge.

The last thing you should be doing as a point of reference for good level design is Sonic games past S3&K. Not even just because they're Sonic (although, yes, that is a reason) but they're completely different than the way SRB2 plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back