Microsoft to distrubute Xbox 360 Dev kit over Xbox live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexmonk0

Got a blistering game idea burning its way through your cerebral cortex? Got a bunch o' million pounds under your bed, ready to make it a reality? Well, thanks to Microsoft, that financial burden just got a lot lighter with the announcement of its XNA Game Studio Express, a new set of Xbox 360 game tools based on the XNA platform.

As Microsoft puts it, XNA Game Studio Express "will democratize game development by delivering the necessary tools to hobbyists, students, indie developers and studios alike to help them bring their creative game ideas to life while nurturing game development talent, collaboration and sharing that will benefit the entire industry". Or, as the ever sound bite-orientated Peter Moore would have it, "It's our first step of creating a YouTube for videogames." Moore noted that while anyone is free to publish their games via 360, content will be screened for appropriateness and any potential legal infringements.

Anyone using a Windows XP-based PC will be eligible to receive the XNA Game Studio Express tools for free, while a mere $99 ensures membership to Microsoft's "creators club", enabling subscribers to build, test and share their games on Xbox 360. According to Moore, the tools are basic compared to their professionally-orientated counterparts, with only "rudimentary" games possible - a second set of XNA tools, Game Studio Professional, is set for release early next year, designed specifically with the needs of professional developers in mind.

Speaking at Gamefest 2006, Chris Satchell, general manager of Microsoft's Game Developer Group, enthused, "XNA Game Studio Express will ignite innovation and accelerate prototyping, forever changing the way games are developed. By unlocking retail Xbox 360 consoles for community-created games, we are ushering in a new era of cross-platform games based on the XNA platform. We are looking forward to the day when all the resulting talent-sharing and creativity transforms into a thriving community of user-created games on Xbox 360."

A beta version of XNA Game Studio Express will be available from August 30, with the final version releasing by the end of the year.

Source : http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/725/725422p1.html

From what I've read, it apears the software development tools will be free, but to upload and share the games over Xbox Live and stuff will cost $99 (I assume they'll probably be some more prenium bonuses as well for that price) a year.

I've heard of this some days ago.
Basically, Microsoft releases the XNA Studio Express for free, but if you want to upload or share the games, you'll have to pay $99.
Really, that is just pure marketing, aimed to programmers.
Microsoft wants programmers to believe the Xbox 360 is more 'open' than the others, so they'll buy it and develop for it.
Then, when the PS3 and Wii will be released, nobody will develop for them.
Result = $$$ in 360 sales and subscriptions for Microsoft, further tieing to DirectX of developers, and first place in the console market.
And remember, that when Vista will be released next year, Microsoft wants DX10 to be the 'big one'.

shadow the fox said:
or if it crashes thain the 360 will blow in sales, and the PS3 may overturn the wii or vice versa

I can't really see any way this can have a negative effect on sales, releasing a cut down version of XNA for newbie developers is all their doing, If anything, it'll encourage indie developers and newbie programmers to buy a 360, not the opposite effect.

Even if it did fail and no one used it, I doubt it would effect sales of the console itself alot.

Apparently colleges will be buying 360s for their game design courses, because of how cheap they are compared to high-end computers. I just hope that people don't start making FPS games for the 360. That would be a baaaaad thing.

AA41's project fungame would probably be a better idea, though :P

Unless you could find a way to distribute the file without using Live that is :wink:

Heh, this is kinda neat. Still not gonna get me to fork over money for a 360, though. ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back