• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Tyrannic's thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrannic

I was too lazy to come up with alliterations for the title that weren't already taken.

So yeah, I have only been sporadically active on these forums for quite some time due to school and other stuff, but in some of the spare time I had I actually worked on some SRB2-related things after last year's OLDC map (Egg Outposts). I can't say that my texturing skills have vastly improved, but eh, I'm not making the mistake again showing next to nothing before releasing a map to the public. So obviously feedback is appreciated as always.

Now, for the actual content:
This a new ACZ-themed Axis2D stage, named "Lands of Sorrow".
j9zUB72.png

sWotzPP.png

zO0bcsS.gifv
zO0bcsS.gif

This is my first skybox. There's room for improvement, but I quite like it.
16mq4QJ.png

This one's not an actual stage I'm working on, at least not for now. It's an experiment to get used to PolyObjects. The inspiration might be quite obvious.
zExajLD.gif

zExajLD.gifv

This is a space-themed level I'm working on called "Submerged Station Zone".
5gUm76j.png

This a mechanic with the new slime that unfortunately was posted before here. I hope my word is proof enough that I started working on this before seeing something similar on the MB.
hATD0du.gif

hATD0du.gifv

Textures are likely to change.
zkqEvf4.gif
zkqEvf4.gifv

Another small experiment.
uHEZ21i.gifv
uHEZ21i.gif

This a neat little secret I put in.
1zKxEuI.gifv
1zKxEuI.gif

A view into the room from the images above, but from outer space.
yRBZ0RF.png

That's it for now.

Last edited:
This stuff looks excellent! Now I'm really looking forward to seeing another full map from you.

Holy shit, you mean people didn't completely forget about Axis2D after Clock Towers came out?

The first couple of screenshots look like the areas could use a bit of work (the first one is empty, and the second doesn't have an obvious path taken), but the third is a really cool use of the effect and I'm hoping to see more stuff like it. The fourth looks pretty cool too, although you might wanna consider building up more canyon behind it so it looks better. The map as a whole reminds me of an old 2D map I never finished back in 2.0 days, so I'm looking forward to seeing how you use the rope hangs.

I hate to come off as a backseat mapper, but it'd be really cool to see the map have some trick secrets like Clock Towers did, with clever usage of path crossing to access secret areas just out of the player's normal reach. It's one of the big benefits of having Axis2D over normal 2D, and rope hangs give you a fantastic method to pull it off, to boot. Speaking of, I need to finish that updated script and push it out at some point...

The other map looks pretty neat too. You should've kept the secret a surprise for when people play the map, though. :V

Last edited:
This stuff looks excellent! Now I'm really looking forward to seeing another full map from you.

Thank you. I'm looking forward to actually be able to release something someday, Lands of Sorrow is currently about 30 seconds long, while Submerged Station is a bit longer, but nowhere near finished...

Holy shit, you mean people didn't completely forget about Axis2D after Clock Towers came out?

Apparently not...

The first couple of screenshots look like the areas could use a bit of work (the first one is empty, and the second doesn't have an obvious path taken)
The first one's actually done that way on purpose since this is the starting room which I wanted to be simple in design. The second one is just a bad screenshot, the path actually becomes obvious pretty quickly.

The fourth looks pretty cool too, although you might wanna consider building up more canyon behind it so it looks better. The map as a whole reminds me of an old 2D map I never finished back in 2.0 days, so I'm looking forward to seeing how you use the rope hangs.
The skybox will definitely improved in the future. The rope hangs are already going to be difficult because you'll always have a short path split with them. In the screenshot above, if you don't jump off the rope you'll rotate around and back to the beginning of the rope. If you jump though, you'll land in an invisible trigger sector that changes the axis path so it makes you go to the right.

I hate to come off as a backseat mapper, but it'd be really cool to see the map have some trick secrets like Clock Towers did, with clever usage of path crossing to access secret areas just out of the player's normal reach. It's one of the big benefits of having Axis2D over normal 2D, and rope hangs give you a fantastic method to pull it off, to boot.
I'll try, but I already know it's going to be difficult. Also, could you maybe post an example regarding hiding secrets via path crossing? I'm not quite sure I get that...

Speaking of, I need to finish that updated script and push it out at some point...
That'd be useful since I also did a little Axis2D stuff in the second level, Submerged Station, and that little GFZ flower spawning in outer space is a little strange :P

The other map looks pretty neat too. You should've kept the secret a surprise for when people play the map, though. :V
There'll hopefully be more than enough secrets in the final level to make up for that^^

Tell me how in the actual fuck I didn't click this earlier.
This looks amazing! Keep it up!

Lands of Sorrow looks awesome, but I feel like some areas need some more decorations, like that cave in the first screenshot, it looks pretty bland.
However, I love the thing you did in the first gif, but I do see the sky height suddently changing, if you know what I mean.

The other level looks even better, and well, I can't blame you for implenting this kind of gimmick if you weren't aware of it being used at the same time as you, it's interresting anyway. I also like that secret area you show in the third gif.

Good luck completing this, you'll need some!

Pretty damn incredible, and I can't wait to play what you're making. I feel bad for giving you such a bad grade last OLDC.

On the other hand, maybe you wouldn't have improved so much if you hadn't gotten that motivation as a challenge. ;)

I'll try, but I already know it's going to be difficult. Also, could you maybe post an example regarding hiding secrets via path crossing? I'm not quite sure I get that...
You know the extra life you see if you take the lower path at the start of Clock Towers? And how you jump back around the spiral to get it, and then (sorry for spoilers lol) if you jump further you can reach a later section of level going the wrong way and get an emblem? Stuff like that. Cool little ways to hide secrets that take ingenuity to reach.

but I do see the sky height suddently changing, if you know what I mean.

If you look closely, every gif , at least from Lands of Sorrow, has some really strange things with the sky/skybox going on. I'm aware of that but I want to fix that later when more important level design parts are done.

Pretty damn incredible, and I can't wait to play what you're making. I feel bad for giving you such a bad grade last OLDC.

Have you played the updated Egg Outposts in the "Releases"-section? It didn't fix big flaws but some things like light levels and unclear pathways were adjusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back