Sparkling Icecap (s_sparklingicecap.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could have sworn I made that cold waterfall super secure, and close to the wall as possible. Oh well. All a simple fix.

This was cool to watch though. Everything you used to your advantage like the whirlwind shield, I'm fine with. But, I'm still not entirely sure how you've gotten up there after activating that lava. I became clueless how you did.

I said that I didn't know what happened. The first time that I gave a thok on the ice and waited for the cutscene to finish, I found myself up there, but when I didn't thok, things were just normal.

Well I just gave this a shot. It still chugged a bit on my machine, but for the most part it was much better. I tried the puzzle path for the first time and got lost a couple of times.

First time in the icicle room, when I'd finally made it to the top I saw a brown bustable block right in front of me and immediately assumed it was the path forward. I then had to backtrack all the way up there and didn't notice the ice block until the second time around.

The second time in the icicle room, I'd noticed those frozen water fountains earlier and figured they were important. Once I got up to the top I saw one in front of me leading to a hole in the wall.
Unfortunately, I messed up trying to thok to the fountain so I jumped out of the melted lake and tried again and again. Then I tried going from the bottom fountains and working my way up. At one point an unlucky framerate drop combined with bad reflexes sent me into a pit while trying to make my way back to the top.
After starting all over, I finally made it to the hole in the wall on the other side only to find out it was a dead end with nothing but a 1up for my trouble. Confused I jumped back down into the melted lake and then accidentally found the way forward.

Lastly, the infinite loop was interesting but I'd gone in and out of the same two dead ends over and over. In the end it turned out that a very solid looking blue wall wasn't quite so solid. It didn't quite make sense.

The first problem is a result of the brown bustable block being far more obvious than the ice block you're supposed to break. The second problem was because you can't see the way forward easily. The third, well I'm not sure I understood it well enough to know what happened.
Besides these things though... as a whole, I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not skilled enough at SRB2 to play this kind of map. Most of my other issues were nonsense stuff that I doubt would be a problem for anyone else.

I can understand the first problem. I thought a trail of rings leading your way to the next area after you melt that section of ice, would avoid the second. Not a result I'd really expect, but I can see how you've thought the cave across from the top would become the path you need to go.

Your third problem is not understandable. Of course, the first dead end is on purpose, forcing you to turn around and keep looking. As the dead end is caused by a column that should be lowered to proceed. Then as you go down the snow slide, you should have come across another cave, which is actually connected to the column. It's the same as those bust-ice-to-lower blocks actually. I've kept the consistency on what you need to do for the gimmick. You've done it in the level before. So, it should have gave you the idea and became logic and obvious to bust the ice and that you have lowered the column. I don't see how this didn't make sense.

Your third problem is not understandable. Of course, the first dead end is on purpose, forcing you to turn around and keep looking. As the dead end is caused by a column that should be lowered to proceed. Then as you go down the snow slide, you should have come across another cave, which is actually connected to the column. It's the same as those bust-ice-to-lower blocks actually. I've kept the consistency on what you need to do for the gimmick. You've done it in the level before. So, it should have gave you the idea and became logic and obvious to bust the ice and that you have lowered the column. I don't see how this didn't make sense.

No no, I broke the ice and then went down to where the column opened up (at least I assumed that's where it opened up) and then couldn't find my way out of the room that it led to. I ran around the room several times and couldn't find away out. I finally thokked into a wall that I figured didn't belong and made it out. I don't altogether understand what happened there.

EDIT: Haha, wow. I think you should put some rings facing downward in that one tunnel. I replayed the level and figured out what happened. And here I thought I'd thokked through the wall through some glitch. Nope! There was a hole there that you can hardly see. I'd also consider doing something with the textures so the player can see it, but rings will probably suffice.

Last edited:
If I may ask, this room?
24x2pvk.png

You got lost here?

EDIT: Haha, wow. I think you should put some rings facing downward in that one tunnel. I replayed the level and figured out what happened. And here I thought I'd thokked through the wall through some glitch. Nope! There was a hole there that you can hardly see. I'd also consider doing something with the textures so the player can see it, but rings will probably suffice.

Ohhh, I understand now. I see. Okay, I think that could work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back