Country Dream Zone version 1.4 (s_countrydream.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that effect is usually caused by a missing texture, I just usually have trouble finding said missing texture.

I gotta start investigating every linedef I make individually instead of in sectors.

You could even more easily search for the missing textures if you looked at it in 3D mode, you know.

Unfortunately, 3D mode doesn't work for some reason. I believe I need a recent version of DirectX which apparently my Windows 7 doesn't have.

Then I have no idea what the problem is.

The error doesn't say DirectX isnt present. It says it can't run it and suggests it might not be present as a possible explanation why.

Ewwwwww

Mmmmkay, so let's give this map a try...

Holy shit, what the hell is this? Sheilds being easily in the open, not to mention there's also an easy extra life. The layout was confusing as shit, and it took me a good few minutes to figure out where I was going. The texture choice is kinda suckish for a zone with the word "Country" in it. Last, but not least, this just looks like you made one large sector, and filled it with other crap.

Now, getting down to the nitty-gritty...

- Rings are undeafed, you should really check on that
- The items that should be more rare (A.K.A. Extra Life monitors) are just out in the open.
- The layout was horrible, and I couldn't find my way around at all.
- Enemies in groups of 2 or more, ESPECIALLY when they aren't spread out very much, is a no-no.
- Water portions were not colormapped, go to the wiki for that.
- Lastly, you need to REALLY improve on your mapping, and I wouldn't reccomend stuff like Tortured Planet (Not saying it's bad, though). Look at the official levels, or ones that have high ratings.

Anyways, this level gets a 2/10 from me, almost in the range of "So bad it's funny", but not quite there.

Wow, thanks Scizor. Everyone is doing good with helping the author get set to making some good maps, and you set off on a rampage that's far away from constructive as ever. If you read through the topic, we've been gone through most of those flaws already and are working at ironing them out.

But thanks for the negativity anyway, better you than D00D64!

Well I found this part hillariously funny
attachment.php

If you havent got anything better than filling an open space with enemies
then try shrinking the sector a little and then rethink your enemy placement
or add some secret places (or both).

P.S If you didn't find that IWAD you would have never been able to start eh?

Wow Scizor, that was a bit harsh.

Haha don't worry I take no offence. I think its almost as bad as you do. Believe me, I have talked with the experts about how I could have done this better, and my second level is turning out much more interesting and workable. By the way, what do you mean the rings are "undeafed" I have no idea what that term means.

Ashtheman, I can't see your screenie for some reason, but I assume it is of the room near the end with approximately 50 enemies in it. That part is rather funny.

And finally, people keep talking about these colormaps for the water, which I've never heard of. I better go look into that.
Since I have many bodies of water in the next zone I'm building, it's sure to complicate things there too...

Ashtheman, I can't see your screenie for some reason, but I assume it is of the room near the end with approximately 50 enemies in it. That part is rather funny.
Yes that was the part where the enemies have a parade. I put the screenshot as an attachment then clicked the link to show on the preview post screen and copied the link to the image and then removed the attachment and it still shown up. When I look at it now it hasn't shown up for me either so i'm going to upload the attachments the proper way. Just click'em to view. I also found your armaggeddon shield.
srb20000.jpg
Here there should be a 1-up or something else
srb20001.jpg
meep.
Blazefan1 said:
I believe I need a recent version of DirectX which apparently my Windows 7 doesn't have.
here ya go

Last edited:
Ashtheman, the enemy parade actually was kind of a joke, (and yet ANOTHER space filler...) Don't worry, you won't be seeing that again in my future creations.

I want to see some screenshots before I download it.

I'd love to post screenshots.

Unfortunately, when I take screenshots in SRB2, they come out so that the score info at the top is visible in a dark green color, and anything else white comes out green too. The rest of the screen is totally black, making the screenshot totally unintelligible.

If anyone knows why that is, please let me know.

Ashtheman, the enemy parade actually was kind of a joke, (and yet ANOTHER space filler...) Don't worry, you won't be seeing that again in my future creations.
It was a pretty funny joke.
I have a nack for filling up space in levels with enemies and stuff too. what I try to do to avoid that is mix in some things from the "Decoration" thing category - but don't go into overmode with the stuff. If you are thinking of doing floating platforms then you're in luck. They work just about the same way water does exept you don't have to make the tagged sector a pit

Ashtheman, as soon as my second level (Mount Crumble Zone) hits the releases section, you will see that I have begun using FOF platforms.

I'll try to figure out how to get working screenies up, too.

EDIT: I made working screenshots, but how do I put them in a post? Do I really have to put them on a website first? That would be a pain.

Last edited:
If you can attach them like I have in my screenshot post then you should have no problem.
How to attach a file? While editing your post you will see a paperclip icon, click that and a window will pop up then just upload your image and go back to the post editor. click the paper clip once more and click one of the files to put it in your post. Not sure how you do it via a releases thread though :/

I don't know...put them with the download, only in a second ZIP file? I don't make levels much, I have no idea how to do such things as posting screenshots.

EDIT: Where can you get a 2.0 config file for Doom Builder? The one I have doesn't work, none of the things show up, only the sectors and stuff.

Sorry Andyman, I had trouble finding it myself back when I started, and I had to get some seperate file or something for it.

Just make a thread about it on the editing help page, I'm sure someone will tell you what to do.

Those rings seem a bit...well on the floor. To solve this select them all and then give them the float flag and see if it looks better.
By the way is that version of direct X helping at all?
Also I don't know why but a lot of people when starting off use the GFZ theme - including me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back