What's a good texture size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkBones

Hi, I'm thinking of making a custom map that needs some custom textures for signs, etc. What is a good size for SRB2 textures? I really don't want to spend tons of time on a texture only to find out its massive or incredibly small on a SRB2 sector...

Most ordinary SRB2 textures are 128x128 or so,but since the custom textures you're looking to make are signs, 512x192 would be a better option. That way, you can fit enough text on there to fulfill the sign's purpose while also making it easy for the player to read. If the sign you're making is very simple and is designed to, say, explain a basic gimmick, though, then around 256x192 might be a good idea.

Texture sizes can be a little sketchy. 742mph is right about sizes for signs - that sort of size seems like a billboard size. If you're looking for a road sign, something like 32x32 or 32x48 might work (Like the sign that says no u-turns) or maybe a street sign is 64x16, something lengthy to fit some text.

It really depends on what you're trying to do. But my main basis is to think of the player as 64x64 and judge sizes from that base size. (yes, the sprites are a different size. But I'm going in accordance to the hit box and the view height of the first person view.) Once you start applying that player size to the rest of the things you want to create it just flows from there. At least that's what I did.

Large enough to fit in the map plausibly.

For your specific task, it really depends on what the sign's supposed to do. Are we talking the billboards you see along major roads in urban areas? Signs on the windows of businesses? Street signs telling you the road name? Either way, map out how large you want the sign in question to be with some other stock texture, like GFZROCK or something, and once you get a feel for that, make the relevant texture. Simple as.

Bear in mind that textures larger than 255 pixels tall need multiple patches to create (ie, it has to be broken up into two parts for the PATCHES lump and pieced together in the TEXTUREx lump), and that the width must be a power of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back