Create Zoom Tube without the Tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimate

a scar in time...
EDIT: I found out that the problem was caused by a change in the way zoomtubes work from 1.94 to 2.0. But I have a new question now:
Is there a way to create a zoomtube in an open area, without having a ceiling? Right now, I want the start of the zoomtube to be in an open area, but it seems that I am forced to create an actual tube in 2.0. Is there any way to get around this?
The only thing I could think of was to set the ceiling for the ZoomTubeStart sector to the max ceiling in the level (4096). But then, even if I'm up in the air, as long as I'm over the ZoomTubeStart sector, the zoom tube will trigger. I want the zoom tube to trigger only when I am touching the ground.

-------
Could anyone help me here? I've set up the ZoomTubeStart sector and its control sector. I then added a waypoint, with an angle of zero. However, when I test the map and enter the ZoomTubeStart sector, it says that it cannot find the first waypoint for sequence one.

Here are some screenshots.

ztube1.png

ztube2.png

ztube3.png

ztube4.png

Last edited:
Have you added all the other waypoints?

Yes, I did. I found out that the problem is a change in the way zoomtubes work from 1.94 to 2.0. But I have a new question now:
Is there a way to create a zoomtube in an open area? Without having a ceiling? Right now, I want the start of the zoomtube to be in an open area, but it seems that I am forced to create an actual tube in 2.0. Is there any way to get around this?
The only thing I could think of was to set the ceiling for the ZoomTubeStart sector to the max ceiling in the level (4096). But then, even if I'm up in the air, as long as I'm over the ZoomTubeStart sector, the zoom tube will trigger. I want the zoom tube to trigger only when I am touching the ground.

Last edited:
That may not be possible anymore, as during development of 2.0 we had a lot of issues with the zoom tubes not triggering, and that may have been the workaround involved to fix it.

Is there a way to create a zoomtube in an open area? Without having a ceiling? Right now, I want the start of the zoomtube to be in an open area, but it seems that I am forced to create an actual tube in 2.0. Is there any way to get around this?
My good sir, it's possible.

Instead of triggering an in-map sector, use an intangible, invisible FOF to trigger the zoom-tube.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4799936/SRB2/Files/Ex_ld003_zoomtubeparameters_fof_openair.wad

I used translucent FOFs so you can see the zoom-tube triggers. Just replace them with invisible ones, and you'll get what you want.

EDIT: The sector with GRASSY flat isn't even required; it's there just to "highlight" the path.

Last edited:
Yeah, EggRock even does exactly what you describe.
As for the previous problem you had, I think Zoom Tubes can start with a sequence of zero (and an angle of 0 would indicate sequence 0, waypoint 0. But your linedef was looking for sequence 1.

My good sir, it's possible.

Instead of triggering an in-map sector, use an intangible, invisible FOF to trigger the zoom-tube.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4799936/SRB2/Files/Ex_ld003_zoomtubeparameters_fof_openair.wad

I used translucent FOFs so you can see the zoom-tube triggers. Just replace them with invisible ones, and you'll get what you want.

EDIT: The sector with GRASSY flat isn't even required; it's there just to "highlight" the path.
Wow, thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Yeah, EggRock even does exactly what you describe.
As for the previous problem you had, I think Zoom Tubes can start with a sequence of zero (and an angle of 0 would indicate sequence 0, waypoint 0. But your linedef was looking for sequence 1.
Ahh that makes sense, because to fix the problem I copied the Wiki Zoom Tube example's control sector. And looking back at my original control sector, the Y distance between the two linedef vertices was 1 instead of zero. I accidentally didn't make it a straight line...>.>"

So once the Y distance was altered it must have began to use sequence 0 instead of sequence 1...thanks for clearing that up SSN :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back