Rate Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virt

Trollerskates
I say an 8/10. The story plot is fine, although the graphics bring my rating down a bit. And also, in one point of the game, Rouge says, "How does Angel Island float?", but they already know; It's because of the Master Emerald. What's your rating?

Story:5/10
Gameplay:5
Audio:4
Graphical:(6)
7 for hand drawn visual style (Good) character models and cutscenes gets a 4(Terrible).
Replay Value:4
Only replayable if you're a perfectionist of subpar games.

Total: 24/50. I'd go into more detail, but I'm too lazy.

I'd say Bioware needs to step in every time Sega thinks they have to use a serious storyline to write. Sure, the writing wasn't great, but it sure is better than some of the plots in modern Sonic games.

Regarding the game itself, what really bugged me, for the small amount I played, was how you HAD to do the little EBA rythm thingies all the way to get any benefit. Why couldn't it work like Shadow Hearts, and just have it so 100% success does more damage/gives a greater effect?

I LOL'd at the final boss. You just do a lame-o POW move and it's a one-hit KO... Heh heh...

Yeah, the final boss was rather anti-climatic. I wish Sonic developers didn't feel obligated to trot out Super Sonic for every final battle.

As for the game, I love the first half and hate the second half. The Twilight Cage has none of the depth, enemy variety, or fairly immersive sidequests of Earth.

Last edited:
4/10

The dialogue is good, and Eggman's portrayal is my favorite in any Sonic game to date. That's about it for the highlights.

The plot involves all of this unwanted otherworldly nonsense, Shade has almost zero depth as a character, the battle system is much too reliant on special moves, the music is largely unforgivable, the cutscenes are extremely chinsy, the overworld is disjointed, the final boss is a joke, the new game + option is completely useless and not fun in the least bit (there's no reward for collecting all the rings, and most battles will end on the first ambush thanks to the characters being ridiculously overpowered), items are largely useless, and the game pretentiously sets itself up for a sequel, even though that will probably never come to be thanks to the game selling poorly and Bioware's handheld department dissolving once EA stepped in (or so I last heard).

It's really quite sad that this game recieved decent-to-great initial reviews- it in no way deserves them. Hell, there are even people who have the gall to call it "a return to form" or "the best Sonic since the Genesis" which is, in a word, blasphemous.

This is perhaps the best review I've read for this game so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back