3d models in srb2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianv

I know theres bipeds you can download for Bungie's old game, Marathon, so I am wondering if its possible to make 3d models for srb2.

I put this in off topic because I didn't know if it was a stupid question. :P

Doomsday also allows you to relace the sprites with 3D models... meaning it is certainly possible. However, if you do make a 3D model pack for SRB2, be sure to make it an addon. Some of us like the original sprites.

SRB2 DOES have model support, including 1.08. However, it works only in OpenGL and doesn't support animation. So if you want to have a model of Tails standing with no animation whatsoever as your character, feel free to use it.

The bottom line is that the model code just isn't worth the effort.

Moved to General Discussion. Learn to post topics where they belong, dammit. X_X

I'd probably make a character if you could actually animate the models..
Making characters out of models is probably a hell of alot easier than making each individual sprite.. we'd have soo many more character wads if they wouldn't just stand there floating around. >_>

I disagree. I think having model support for characters wouldn't show any increase in available character wads, because it would be just as hard, if not harder, to make a 3d model and animate it than to scribble out some sprites in MSPaint.

Unless, of course, we had some pre-defined animations that you would just use for the models. If that's even possible to do.

And besides, I don't even like custom character wads.

From my experience, they screw up the stability of netgames. I guess I'm biased against them, but I always like to avoid using them.

Yeah, because the game on the other computers is requesting a skin for a character they don't have, and SRB2 goes "OMG WTF".

I quite like them, honestly, and don't like how infrequently they get used. But, eh, thems the breaks...

...or was it "thems the brakes"? Meh, I dunno.

I think that there is only a problem with models: optimization. First, think that the animations will take a lot of space, unless you separate it in different bones (each one with a predefined function). And however, think about frame-rate now...

Bad...

There was only 1 thing I've wanted to do if I ever got a hold of a model: sprite it. Move his head, arms, and legs, and then put them on Paint so I can wad it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back