Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the time I've found this most cramped and not fun, recently I have found that the levels have gotten better, I loved every aspect of the levels up to Drowned Downtown Act 2 which was horrible to play through, the rest was filled with small platforms and cramped jumps alongside horrible tiny, dark areas.
Summary: All levels until DD2, was WIN and the levels were brilliant, the rest was just kinda annoying.

Well, there's certainly some truth to that. But please do know that Tortured Planet is still a WIP, and I've got more to add to most of the levels.

Well, there's certainly some truth to that. But please do know that Tortured Planet is still a WIP, and I've got more to add to most of the levels.

As I've said, your levels are slowly improving and some levels which I didn't like before hand (Eruption Conduit Zone and Drowned Downtown zone), have improved and obtained my interest and liking. There are still parts such as Sunshine Atoll where like the level greatly, but get lost at one or two points, going in circles until finding a small path that was oblivious at first.

Not dark, but annoying at points, it seems most of the levels are filled with platform jumps rather than being able to freely explore.
Isn't this kinda normal for a level that you are forced to do platforming? I give you that especially later levels (Fume Shaft and onward) have more or less nothing to explore, but you can't really say that about Snowcap Nimbus and Gritty Columns.

Here's a bit of an update on what I've done so far. You can expect to see these things and more in v5.0.

1. Bugfixes. Just about every problem that has been reported since the release of v4.0, as well as some that I found on my own, have been solved.
2. Improvements to Fume Shaft Zone. Primarily, FSZ1. There's a minor path split now. It's fairly basic and doesn't really offer that much more, but it's there. I'm also planning to add a few areas to both acts which will attempt to encourage more exploration, but that may not pan out too well.
3. Improvements to Spacewalk Zone. Those of you who have been following Tortured Planet from day 1 know the drill. Each time I make a new version, I improve Spacewalk Zone, but the improvements fall far short of what would officially make SZ an okay level. Unfortunately, v5.0 is no exception. But there are definitely some improvements to watch out for. In SZ1, at least two of the generic space junk rooms now contain significant and somewhat unique obstacles to dodge, some of the more cramped areas have been widened, and there has been a universal scenery change that I won't yet reveal. In SZ2, more cramped areas got widened, some nasty bugs were corrected, a couple of gimmicks were modified slightly, and one of the space junk areas was completely scrapped and recreated so that you're jumping along the surface of a large, jagged asteroid instead. Also, there have been some scenery updates.
4. Improvements to Alien Armageddon Zone. I only just started this. But I'm focusing primarily on AAZ1, which needs an overhauling far more desperately than AAZ2.

Sometimes when I am playing Netgame in SpaceWalk Zone gravflip are stopping working for players (not for host)

srb20030.png

well but if you want make here impasable you need add here invibisile wall. Because we can pass it by thok. (Snowcap Nimbus Zone 1)

Okay, here's a bit of a surprise announcement about Tortured Planet v5.0.

This morning, I had a sudden, blinding realization. I hate Eruption Conduit Zone Act 1. I just hate it. More than you guys, I think. So I'm scrapping it and replacing it.

The new version will be based on the layout of the old one, but it's not going to be cramped and sucky.

I dare say that ECZ1 was definitely not the worst level in this pack. But sure, if you wanna remake it, go ahead. Consider my opinion on the outside texturing, though.

I dare say that ECZ1 was definitely not the worst level in this pack. But sure, if you wanna remake it, go ahead. Consider my opinion on the outside texturing, though.

Funnily enough, I actually don't hate it because the level plays bad...I hate it because I constructed it haphazardly, and as a result, trying to edit and improve it is an unbelievable headache.

As a result, I'm modeling the new version on the old one, but with some major differences. It's going to be more open and better looking, and designed in a way more consistent with the style of some of the other levels in Tortured Planet.

Here's a few things about it: The outside texturing is going to be a bit more varied. Also, the grass is not being done away with entirely, but it will be used more intelligently. Instead of covering every part of the ground, it is spread around in patches, to emphasize how the landscape is burning away.

Here's a few things about it: The outside texturing is going to be a bit more varied. Also, the grass is not being done away with entirely, but it will be used more intelligently. Instead of covering every part of the ground, it is spread around in patches, to emphasize how the landscape is burning away.
I quite like that idea, not only does it give the landscape more variation, but it also looks better than having the texture everywhere.

On an unrelated note, I think I finally got a bit of a grasp of why Snowcap Nimbus looks a bit unnatural, and why the new section with the river and the trees look so much better. It's not necessarily only the trees (though they look really good, and you need to find some way to implement them elsewhere, even if that means you must tone them down in complexity), but also the floor texture. The main problem with the other areas is that this glacier-like blue texture (ICEFLRA and similar intense blue textures) dominates everything. You need a less intense texture to balance it, and ICEFLR0 is perfect for that. I also love that river, but I doubt you want to have more of it.

EDIT: Oh, and as promised, what I had done of the Gritty Columns review (which talks about V3.0, so some parts might be outdated):

Act 1:
I can't quite remember if I was the one who suggested water, but I see you listened. Also, I can't quite remember if the sector-based cacti are new, but they make the room seem less empty. I also can see that the thing-based cacti are now grouped more naturally. Still, I find the sand textures to be extraordinarily ugly, especially when used on large walls. I don't really know what to do against it, but it really hurt an otherwise nice-looking room. I also like th idea of the pillars beyond the thok barrier, but again, the textures make them an eyesore.

Something that puzzles me is why you didn't use the textures from Act 2 anywhere in Act 1. I also found that most of the real actiion happens in the indoors sections. Since the outdoors sections won't return in Act 2, you should do something with them here. Currently, they feel like short intermission before we get to the next gimmick-packed inside room. You did try with the falling rocks, but they can be very easily avoided. Look at ACZ1, the one spot where they show up actually requires careful dodging but still isn't impossible to do.

The next thing that needs addressing is the rising sand room. First off, thanks for making button mashing impossible. It could make the room very boring if you fell into the sand and removed all the challenge. But there's a much more fundamental problem with this room: It feels too basic. Currently, I only have to jump over some square platforms to continue. Actually, the whole room only consists of those square platforms. What would be really cool is a carefully decorated room that actually looks like a sand temple (Sandy Shrine from XSRB2 comes to mind) and that features some variation in how you get across. What instantly springs to mind are ropes hanging from the ceiling (with static rope hang effects, of course) that you have to jump across. Of course, there should also be regular platforming, but all of this should be somehow integrated into the room architecture. I know I expect a lot, but things like that are exactly what keep your pack from being perfect.

In the next outside section, you have this railing bridge that contains a secret on each side. I think you're wasting a bit of potential here. This should be part of an alternate path (and not just a Coop-only one either) that leads along an old train track. I do think there are several things that you can do with this setting without making the player actually ride a train.

I see you took care of the crusher rows. I suggested making them have two rows, but you decided to make them faster, which is also a viable option, since they now pose a threat. The path that requires you to push the gargoyles off the pyramid is weirdly placed. I don't think players would search for a path like that. You should rather hide a secret there and move the path itself to another location (probably integrate it into another alternate path, one that's less short-lived). I do like the room that it hosts though, even if it looks a bit too plain and the spikes can be walked in. I think you've noticed by now that decoration is a weak point in the indoor parts of this zone.

The outside part after that feels completely useless. You walk out, run a bit and walk in again. Do something with that section. Actually, that goes on until the end. The cave part is still an empty maze, although I do like that opening in the ceiling. The button at the end reminds me of something that annoys me frequently in this pack: You use the same ERZ door opening sound for every button in this mod. It doesn't fit in city or canyon/sand environments. Think of some other sounds or don't use sounds at all. All in all, this level is too low on path splits, and needs decoration in the inside parts and gameplay in the outside parts.

Act 2:
OK, I'll give you that the texturing is improved. What puzzles me though is that there are no DSZ textures to be found. They fit a "sand temple" theme perfectly, much better than castle textures. As I said before, Sandy Shrine shows how to do it, and the next-to-last part of Oceanic Cove is also a great example. In short, pay attention to detail, even when texturing.

Last edited:
Interesting idea about SNZ. I'll bear that in mind, and try to increase the frequency of ICEFLR0.

EDIT: I'm almost done with the new version of ECZ1. It's way better than the original. In fact, I personally think it is now one of the best levels in Tortured Planet.

SON OF EDIT: Also, I'm not revealing details, but Star Showdown Zone is also getting a revamp. It's no longer just going to be a simple copy/past from an outdated version of ERZ3. It'll start out more or less the same as it was, but things will start to get interesting at the pinch point...

Last edited:
let me review this

Sunshine Atoll - a pretty good starting zone.... and good detail too
Eruption Conduit - Tricky, but good not the less
Drowned Downtowen - This is the only zone i dont like, its so dark underwater i cant see... and rather difficult for its place in the game.
Snowcap nimbus - Ok... i like the odd use of Acz Belts
Gritty Columns - this zone was LONG.... Especially the boss which took me 10 mins alone
Fume Shaft - this is my fav zone, but laggy
Liftoff G - Pretty Cool zone my 2nd fav... and its mildy tricky like drown downtown oh and LAZER BOSS FTW!
Space Walk: ok now things get Eggrock hard, i haven't beat it... still a interesting zone better then the next one
Alien Armeggedon: TOO HARD... TOO HARD CANT BEAT. AGH. HARDEST FINAL LEVEL EVER.
Star Showdown: Just a boss fight...

well overall i would of liked it more if it wasn't so hard for me... i don't know maybe i just suck. i give it a 7 outta 10

let me review this

Sunshine Atoll - a pretty good starting zone.... and good detail too
Eruption Conduit - Tricky, but good not the less
Drowned Downtowen - This is the only zone i dont like, its so dark underwater i cant see... and rather difficult for its place in the game.
Snowcap nimbus - Ok... i like the odd use of Acz Belts
Gritty Columns - this zone was LONG.... Especially the boss which took me 10 mins alone
Fume Shaft - this is my fav zone, but laggy
Liftoff G - Pretty Cool zone my 2nd fav... and its mildy tricky like drown downtown oh and LAZER BOSS FTW!
Space Walk: ok now things get Eggrock hard, i haven't beat it... still a interesting zone better then the next one
Alien Armeggedon: TOO HARD... TOO HARD CANT BEAT. AGH. HARDEST FINAL LEVEL EVER.
Star Showdown: Just a boss fight...

well overall i would of liked it more if it wasn't so hard for me... i don't know maybe i just suck. i give it a 7 outta 10

Yes, the stages can get slightly hard early, Alien Armageddon did seem impossibly hard from the start.

@Spirit Crusher
I agree with this, I found that Gritty Collums had very cramped outdoor areas, the inside was no less different.

Drowned Downtown is actually so much harder and longer than Snowcap Nimbus and probably also Gritty Columns that you should probably consider moving its spot.

You know, that's an interesting idea...I'll have to think about it, though.

Oh hey, SpiritCrusher, just so you know, as I'm editing Drowned Downtown, I have the log from our netgame open in front of me, and I'm acting on what you said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back