• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

[WIP]Zhire El.wad

Status
Not open for further replies.

STCPhoton

Locked User
PLAYA1.png

So yeah, I'm going to work on this wad for a bit, I won't push myself too hard though, I don't want to overwork and screw up.

I'm getting constructive criticism from SpeedGod as well, so it's obviously going to be highly detailed and look amazing.

I haven't thought of an ability yet, some sort of swift dash a target or other player if there is one in the vicinity, and it'll function as a thok of some sorts, but I'm not sure yet.

Any ideas, and thanks for looking at this thread, it'll really help if you could give me some Constructive C. by the way.

I haven't thought of an ability yet, some sort of swift dash a target or other player if there is one in the vicinity, and it'll function as a thok of some sorts, but I'm not sure yet.
Isn't that basically just a homing attack? The only difference seems to be the whole hitting another player thing which if you're going to do that I assume you're going to want it to damage the other player which you're going to have to be careful not to make overpowered. Probably the best way to do that would be to make it slow.

Now as for the sprite.
The only thing I really notice is that his wrist cuff things look assymetrical. I don't know if they're supposed to be but they look kind of off. Also his feet might be pointing a bit too far out to the sides considering we're looking at him from the front.
I like his hairdo though. XD But I gotta ask what species he is.

Response to klinx

Isn't that basically just a homing attack? The only difference seems to be the whole hitting another player thing which if you're going to do that I assume you're going to want it to damage the other player which you're going to have to be careful not to make overpowered. Probably the best way to do that would be to make it slow.

Well actually, I wanted to make it some sort of "sling" mechanic as in if you jump and hold Space, you'd be able to swing from place to place, and if you tap Space 2 times, you'd be launched into the air, now the only way for this to work is if there's objects high or low enough to sling onto. I'm guessing if there's nothing insight, Zhire boosts through the air in a stationary position ( Like in Sonic Unleashed or in Generations) whereas he fastly glides then drops after 2 or 3 seconds, I'm guessing this would be a cakewalk but still hard work when 2.1 comes out with LUA scripting. But I digress.

The only thing I really notice is that his wrist cuff things look assymetrical. I don't know if they're supposed to be but they look kind of off. Also his feet might be pointing a bit too far out to the sides considering we're looking at him from the front.
I like his hairdo though. XD But I gotta ask what species he is.

Well his cuffs are very different, one is shaped like a boat, the other one is shaped like a curved rhombus, if you're saying I need to position them right( as in gridlines) then I'd be happy to do so.

I will also work on the feet as well, but should I make them completely in the front pretty much hiding most of his shoe but only the toe side is visible?

His species? oh that's right, I want to give you some history before I tell you, When my unoriginal design was made back in 2010, he was a hedgehog, to cat, to god knows what, until I actually began redesigning and giving him a better look.
Rest assured he is NOT a cat, he is actually a marsupial, most preferably, a Tasmanian Wolf, when I give full rotations, he DOES have those stripes on his back as like a real one would, and thank you, I like his hairdo too.

Well actually, I wanted to make it some sort of "sling" mechanic as in if you jump and hold Space, you'd be able to swing from place to place, and if you tap Space 2 times, you'd be launched into the air, now the only way for this to work is if there's objects high or low enough to sling onto. I'm guessing if there's nothing insight, Zhire boosts through the air in a stationary position ( Like in Sonic Unleashed or in Generations) whereas he fastly glides then drops after 2 or 3 seconds, I'm guessing this would be a cakewalk but still hard work when 2.1 comes out with LUA scripting. But I digress.

Kind of reminds me of the guy in your icon. ;)
But in all seriousness, it sounds pretty complicated but if you could pull it off it'd be a very interesting ability.

Well his cuffs are very different, one is shaped like a boat, the other one is shaped like a curved rhombus, if you're saying I need to position them right( as in gridlines) then I'd be happy to do so.

I will also work on the feet as well, but should I make them completely in the front pretty much hiding most of his shoe but only the toe side is visible?
Oh well as long as they're supposed to be like that. As for his feet they probably shouldn't be completely from the front, maybe a slight angle. Try looking at some other sprites and seeing how they did it.

Rest assured he is NOT a cat, he is actually a marsupial, most preferably, a Tasmanian Wolf, when I give full rotations, he DOES have those stripes on his back as like a real one would, and thank you, I like his hairdo too.
And congratulations, you made him my favorite animal. XD

Kind of reminds me of the guy in your icon. ;)
But in all seriousness, it sounds pretty complicated but if you could pull it off it'd be a very interesting ability.
Yeah, it's sort of like Spider- or as I like to call him, Spoderman, but yeah I'd be awesome if this could be made.

Oh well as long as they're supposed to be like that. As for his feet they probably shouldn't be completely from the front, maybe a slight angle. Try looking at some other sprites and seeing how they did it.
PLAYA1.png

I didn't want to put it at an angle, since these are literally high tops, if the slight angle is for the illusion that their actually on the ground, then I might reconsider, I also made use of those side shoes as well:
PLAYA2_A8.png

And congratulations, you made him my favorite animal. XD
-offtopic- Did you know scientists are actually trying to clone this animal back into existence? they have a body of a baby Tasmanian Wolf suspended in alcohol, I hope they can bring back these cool creatures.

PLAYA1.png

I didn't want to put it at an angle, since these are literally high tops, if the slight angle is for the illusion that their actually on the ground, then I might reconsider, I also made use of those side shoes as well:
PLAYA2_A8.png
You're right, the front shoes actually do look fine. However, I wouldn't use the side shoes for the 2/8 frames, those definitely need to be at an angle. You're better off using the side shoes for the 3/7 frames.

-offtopic- Did you know scientists are actually trying to clone this animal back into existence? they have a body of a baby Tasmanian Wolf suspended in alcohol, I hope they can bring back these cool creatures.
And off-topic, I heard about that. If they did it it would be the coolest thing ever.

Wow, literally the last post on this thread was a week ago, okay I have some stuff I want to show for now:

These sprites are great. They look awesome. This WAD should use fallswitch or Telekinesis, since they are both new abilities. But that's my opinion :3

I WON'T LET THIS THREAD DIE JUST YET!

I've decided to change how Zhire looks, instead of:
PLAYA1.png

I've came up with this:
c1t0Ect.png
( As you can see, he's missing his shoes, and I'm not really done with his arms yet either)

Me and a friend were talking about how I messed up the light source on Zhire in this shot, I'm not going to pillow shade, which is shown here

I'm going to gradient shade

He says I have no light source in this, even though the light source I'm looking for here is straight up, I know which parts are not going to be hit by the light and I know which are.
What do you guys think?

The shading is so flat and the sprite is literally banded to hell. You should probably look at how to convey depth of round objects before retrying this. The lineart is also extremely wonky man, just look at his hands. There is absolutely no anti ailising on this, and the design itself has unnecessary details that just don't look good in small size.

Did you really copy-paste the shoes on the front-diagonal frame?

The shading is so flat and the sprite is literally banded to hell. You should probably look at how to convey depth of round objects before retrying this. The lineart is also extremely wonky man, just look at his hands. There is absolutely no anti ailising on this, and the design itself has unnecessary details that just don't look good in small size.

Did you really copy-paste the shoes on the front-diagonal frame?

Thanks for your comment.

Which sprites are you talking about? the old ones that were on the OP or the new one that I just posted?

In case you're talking about the old one, yes it looks shitty, I can't argue with that, but keep in mind that this is a WIP and it is subject to change at any given time.

The new sprite I just posted a while back wasn't even completely done yet, I just wanted to give everyone a heads-up that I haven't ended the project like so many other wad makers have.

Actually, you should pillow shade. But only a little. Use it to create depth, as shown here (No PS):
ApeMXeh.png

Compared to this redo (With PS):
3W4V5gb.png

Actually, you should pillow shade. But only a little. Use it to create depth, as shown here (No PS):
ApeMXeh.png

Compared to this redo (With PS):
3W4V5gb.png

>should pillow shade
My sides.
Those examples you posted are also the reason why you should not pillow shade.

NdfOyXi.png

Hey I'm back, with a new look too.

I already know about the messed up AA on the head of the first one, Speed told me how to do it, Also, those shoes are not his final shoes, he has high heels ( sexy , I know) and he's supposed to be in that position.

Feet are on the 3rd and 4th one is off too.

Speedwagon actually figured out what pose I'm trying to do as well.
448.gif
448.gif

I know my sprite is sort've off, and yes, he is gigantic, I'm going to scale him down a few or let MAINCFG do it for me.

Incase you don't see how:

ViWqMoX.png

Any critics so far?

fix his shoes asap pls :V

Inconsistencies everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back