• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Single Player Collab submission thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MellowJacket

The unreliable judge
Use this thread to submit work, discussion about submitted work or about the project in general belongs in the discussion thread.

Information for level designers
If you want to make a claim on a particular level, send me a PM asking for it. But if multiple people ask to work on the same level, priority will go to people who originally suggested the idea and mappers with a good reputation.

The order zones are presented in here is also a suggested order for the final game. If there is a problem with this order, bring it up in the discussion thread.

Gravity Garden Zone act 1: Zap610

Gravity Garden Zone act 2: Whackjood

Gravity Garden Zone act 3: Badnik

(Gravity Garden now has custom badniks, find them in the 'information for soccers' section)

Cloudy Domain/Heavenly Tower act 1: Blade

Cloudy Domain/Heavenly Tower act 2: Spherallic

Cloudy Domain/Heavenly Tower act 3: free

Cryonic City/Frost Factory act 1: free

Cryonic City/Frost Factory act 2: free

Cryonic City/Frost Factory act 3: free

Honeyhive Zone act 1: Coatrack

Honeyhive Zone act 2: free

Honeyhive Zone act 3: free

Zany Ziggurat act 1: free

Zany Ziggurat act 2: free

Zany Ziggurat act 3: 742mph

Eerie Fortress Zone act 1: free

Eerie Fortress Zone act 2: free

Eerie Fortress Zone act 3: free

Steam Engine Zone act 1: free

Steam Engine Zone act 2: free

Steam Engine Zone act 3: free

Remember, you will be asked to report what you have finished so far of your map at the end of the month. If you don’t provide evidence that you have been working on the map by the end of that week, then your claim on the level will be lost and someone else will be able to take your space.

Only claim act 3 if you intend on creating a custom boss. I may let people create boss levels using new arenas for old bosses in future if nobody steps up and tries to create a custom boss, but for now only try to claim act 3 on any zone if you intend on creating a new boss battle.

Even if you didn't get a claim on the level you wanted to work on, or you just have one or two great ideas for a level, you can still help out by explaining your idea in the discussion topic. Or, if you're submittion a new and original gimmick, an example wad in the submission topic would be ideal as well.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]Information for artists
Feel free to create textures and sprites for any level you choose, but keep in mind the following priority list

Gravity Garden - high priority: Both acts are currently being worked on and custom sprites are needed for the enemies and boss

cloudy domain/heavenly tower - high priority: Will need new textures to support the roman theme, the level is currently being made

Cryonic City/Frost Factory - low priority: As far as I know, this level works fine with the default texture set.

Honeyhive Zone - High priority: Not currently in production, but will need a lot of new textures to support the gimmicks and bee hive theme.

Blue Lagoon/Zany Ziggurat - Low priority: Not currently in production, but should work fine with default texture set.

Eerie Fortress Zone - low priority: Not currently in production, should work fine with default texture set.

Steam Engine Zone - medium priority: Not currently in production, but will need new textures to support the steampunk theme when production begins.

Please post any finished art assets in the topic so I can update the appropriate level in the opening post.

Information for soccers
Feel free to create socs for any level that happens to need it, but bosses are going to need some intensive soccing and therefore have a higher priority to make sure they actually get finished. Levels that are currently being made also have a higher priority for socs

Socs that need to be made
Gravity Garden Zone: Enemy that functions like a turret, shoots a laser at the player which reverse gravity on contact.
dl.dropbox.com/u/27962790/turret.wad - WIP Turret, needs new art to reflect that it's a plant badnik and sometimes damages the player.

Enemy that works like coconuts from Sonic 2, throws a coconut which functions like a grenade ring
http://www.sendspace.com/file/yfaquq - WIP coconuts, needs new sprites and grenade rings need to explode after a short while instead of remaining forever.

SDURFs that jump in arcs, crossing the players path. Instead of jumping up and down on the spot.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39649613/SoDURFTEST2.wad - Fully functional, but could use sprites for more than 2 angles.

When you have made a soc, you will need to post it in the suggestion thread for others to use. But just as importantly, it needs to be posted in the suggestion thread so other soccers won’t use the same slots as you.

Information for musicians
An original soundtrack would be fantastic, but it isn’t essential. If you want to make a specific tune for a level and the designer already has a custom song in mind, remember that you will be competing against whatever custom song the designer has already picked.

Levels with original music
Cloudy Domain Act 1: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10501263/Heavenly%20Tower%20v3.ogg
Eerie Fortress Act 1: -MIDI -MP3
Eerie Fortress Act 2: -MIDI -MP3
Honeyhive Zone Act 1: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60544369/Honeyhive.mp3
Steam Engine Zone Act 1: http://midishrine.com/midi/45976.mid

Levels that currently use non-original songs

Gravity Garden act 1: www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYCpC1f9gsg
Gravity Garden act 2: www.youtube.com/watch?v=BodnZ-tzyPE
Steam Engine Act 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyisJ1f9BNA

Last edited:
I'm currently making the gravity flip turret. Here's what I have so far. Beware, the SOC is unorganized and uncommented.

A few observations/questions:

• Ideally, the missile would flip the player to reverse gravity if he's in normal gravity and to normal gravity if he's in reverse. I don't think that's possible, so my turret only flips the player to reverse, not back. So I used two copies of the turret: One shoots reverse-gravity lasers, the other shoots normal-gravity lasers. It's up to the level designer to use the correct turret in the correct situation.
  • I used a pop-up turret as the basis. Was that the plan or did you envision a stationary turret that doesn't pop up and down?
  • The projectile is modeled after the projectile of the normal (rapid-fire) turret. If you want to use different sprites or different sounds for the projectile, that's all possible.
  • You can adjust the interval at which a pop-up turret shoots projectiles with the Thing's Angle value. That's not possible with my custom turret, so it defaults to about two seconds. I can change that interval in the SOC, but that would also affect regular pop-up turrets. It's possible to work around this, but I don't really want to do that unless it becomes necessary.
  • The speed of the projectile can be easily adjusted. Just change the "Speed" value of "Thing 319".
  • Occasionally, the projectile will kill the player. I'm not sure why that happens.
  • The SOC uses Object slots 318-321, State slots 1792-1797 and the map Thing numbers 122 and 123 for the turrets.

Last edited:
I've completed Coconuts, although it currently uses Snailer sprites since I don't have any 3D Coconuts sprites avalible. If you move within 1024 fracunits of its front side, it throws a grenade at you, then checks back 5 seconds later to see if you're still there. If you are, it throws another one, etc. If you aren't, it just goes back to its searching mode. It uses Thing slot 322, map thing slot 150, state slots 1815-1823, and sprite slot F011 (A is for searching, B-H is for the throwing animation, with E at the point where it actually throws the grenade. It all looks the same at this point, though, since the enemy doesn't have its proper sprites yet.) Also note that it uses a Boss Waypoint placed directly in front of it to reset its angle after throwing, so that should be included whenever it is placed on a map.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij0en4jcmszv98v/CoconutsEnemy-v02.wad

(EDIT: Coconuts enemy updated to version 2. Grenades now explode by themselves after a certain period of time.)

Last edited:
Here's my (unfinished) original compositions for Haunted House Zone, which I've also posted back in the suggestions thread:

Haunted House Zone Act 1: -MIDI -MP3
Haunted House Zone Act 2: -MIDI -MP3

(Haven't got anything for Act 3 yet)

Haven't a clue what could be used instead if I don't ever get round to finishing these though. =S

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39649613/SoDURFTEST2.wad

I thought I'd contribute by bringing the SDURF that jumps in arcs, the "Somewhat Dumb Unnamed Robo Fish". It must be used carefully, however, it's very floor sensitive and will get out of pattern if floor difference it too much.

It replaces the original SDURF Object, but the states are 1792-1796.

Updated with "custom" textures.

Edit: Welp, these things are even MORE delicate than I thought. It always de-syncs eventually if the flooring is changed. Either we have to rework it or it MUST be used in single-floor areas only.

Last edited:
Here's a song I just whipped up for Steam Engine Zone Act 1.

http://midishrine.com/midi/45976.mid
It reminds me of Metropolis Zone somewhat, but you'll be the judge on that. The "helicopter" midi sound at about halfway through is supposed to sound like some kind of machinery running.

Here is the link to a prototype final or near-final boss that Whackjood requested I post here. Be warned, it's rather difficult and confusing at first, but most of his behavior that seems random at first has a pattern behind it. You just need to figure it out. As for the arena name and theme, well... that's a long story that doesn't need to be told here.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rgazbv

I was working on whatever-the-level-is-going-to-be-called-that-I-suggested to give an image to my description of act 1, but I stopped since the one was pretty much taking over the other.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62708972/Scr_BlueLagoon.wad

It's just the first room of the first act, keep in mind this was made before the merge was even suggested, but it should give you a good idea of what I was planning for this theme.

Here's an example wad for a gravity gimmick possibly for Gravity Gardens or something. When you go through the holes in the acid, gravity swaps until you either touch acid or go through another hole (it makes more sense when you play it). Navigate to the end platform using this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25549798/srb2/showcase1.wad

(this is identical to the version I'd posted in IRC a couple weeks ago)

Last edited:
More muzak!

http://midishrine.com/midi/45993.mid
Bee Vomit Bog I MEAN HONEYHIVE Zone, Act 1

A nice, upbeat song perfect for the area outside the robot beehive. Inspired a teensy bit by this other bee-related song from a game about, oh, I don't know, chimps and crocodiles?

http://midishrine.com/midi/45995.mid
Music - Heavenly Tower Zone, Act 1

Feel free to do whatever you need to with this song.

Also, for those who think that Honeyhive needs a new name:

me said:
Iron Hive Zone
Honey Terraces Zone
Golden Woodland Zone
Beehive Brush Zone
Bee Vomit Bog Zone (ignore this one, heh)

I'd just like to make this clear. I created two seperate threads for this project because by the time 7 zones are finished, there will be a lot of submitted material and it will be much easier for map makers to find the resources they need if the thread is kept clean of discussion.

If you have anything to say about the project, or material submitted for it, then please use the discussion thread. This thread is intended to be used for submitting resources only, thank you.

Last edited:
Well, after a week of SOCing away, I've finally completed the first version of Zany Ziggurat's boss, which I claimed. For more detailed information, screenshots, and a WAD download link, take a look at the spoiler below.

This boss resembles the Sea Egg in that it moves around below the surface of a liquid and occasionally pops up to attack. Unlike the Sea Egg, however, it requires an Elemental Shield to protect itself from the lava it is submerged in a lot of the time. That shield must be lowered in order for the Egg Blazer to attack. After the attack finishes, but before the shield is raised and Eggman dives back down, is your chance to counterattack. Or you can be brave and try to hit him while he's attacking, but that requires a considerable amount of skill to accomplish without getting hurt. Beware of his bombs that cause the platforms to temporarily collapse into the lava, though. They can be a bit tough to avoid.

(NOTE: The lava in the arena is opaque for a reason: the player shouldn't be able to see how Eggman really moves around between the waypoints. Please don't change it, mappers.)

9GfCm.png

This is not going to end well.

Object Slots: 410-429
State Slots: 2126-2271
Sprite Slot: F026

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2cvqatdp0h2vb9/ZanyZiggurat3-v06.wad
Also note that the Egg Blazer could use custom sprites, as it is a recolor at the moment. This isn't really necessary, but it might make it seem more polished.

Criticism, suggestions, glitch reports, and feedback in general is appreciated. I'll be interested to hear what you make of the concept and execution of ZZZ3's boss. Thanks for replying, if you decide to.

(CURRENT: Egg Blazer version 6.2 released. Compatability with other bosses fixed.)

Last edited:
So, I've been working on a few things related to this project.

Gravity Garden
If you frequent IRC, you probably know I was working on a concept room for Gravity Garden. Well, I'm glad to say it's finished. Take a look at it here: Gravity Garden Concept Room
It's exactly what it says it is, a concept room. It's not meant in any way to be the first room or anything. Just something for people to look at and get a grasp on theme and such. An example of how gravity gimmicks might be used. From the hoop gimmick inspired by Simsmagic's Showcase1.wad, to the level taking place on both the floor and the ceiling. Perhaps even some of the foliage can take advantage of the dual gravity?

I did have a problem in making it though. As you will probably notice, the color bands in the hoops (thank you for the gimmick, Simsmagic) stretch all the way down to the floor. I have absolutely no clue why this is, the ceiling and floor change heights seem to all be aligned right. If anyone can puzzle that one out, it would be a mercy.

And before anyone points out the obvious, I know there is a pit Sonic and Knuckles can get stuck in. Obviously this is not a complete level, and that will be the entrance to a lower path, through the maintenance passages of Gravity Garden.

I plan on doing this with a few of the levels. I know that a few of the designers, (Chrome comes to mind first) expressed that they wished to start on levels but weren't quite sure where to take them. I'll likely make a starter, if you will, for Zany Ziggurat, and maybe Honeyhive. Though really, I plan on designing Honeyhive, but as of now I am sort of co-designing Gravity Garden 1&2 with Zap610 and Whackjood. Each of us has a different forte we can bring to the table, which allows us to make a spectacular end product.

Co-designing, that brings me to my second point.

Dropbox
I've created one. Why? So that we as a community can readily access each other's work and collaboratively work on the same source files. Currently we already have a few treasures stashed in it, including some Gravity Garden and some Cloudy Domain. And something else the got rejected. See for yourself. I think it will make it a lot more real if you can actively take a peek at what people have been doing as of late, especially if you're collaborating with someone. As I know Blade and Spherallic are doing on Cloudy Domain Zone.

Ideally, we could get everyone in on this. If you want access to it, just give a PM with your e-mail address and I'll link you up with permissions.

One final note on this, since anyone linked can edit the things in it, it's probably best to keep a backup, just in case of the worst possible event, when someone gets pissed and deletes it all. :p

Heavenly Tower

Need a song? This one I composed recently was for just such a theme. Though, for the level, I'd have to do something about the boring opening. That would actually be really easy, it begs for some more rhythm.

Just one more thing...
A few people have posted screenshots in #srb2fun. I just have to ask, why haven't they been posted here? I think things like that should be publicly shared here, for the general encouragement and morale.

Speaking of morale

WE CAN DO THIS! WE CAN MAKE IT GREAT! POWAAAA!!!

Three more possible textures for Steam Engine:

BIGOTFLR.png
RUSTRIVT.png
WOODPANEL.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back