How to access sprites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're supposed to make your own sprites, not edit the existing sprites.

That's the answer almost everyone has to give to these dumb questions
But just open SLADE and rip the sprite files

facepalm_227785.jpg

...SRB2 does not use sprite sheets, to make one you would have to extract the roughly 200 sprites and put them all into a single file yourself, but since, as I said, SRB2 does not use sprite sheets, it would not be worth the effort.

-snip-

I advise you to not listen to a single thing this guy says.

Hello. I'm new here, and I would like to know how to access character sprites to make character wads.

You can find Sonic's, Tails', and Knuckles' sprites in player.dta. You will need a lump editor to view them. Take a good look at Knuckles' sprites and use them as an example.

As a general rule, stick to SRB2's art style as closely as possible, but please don't just edit the sprites. Your wad will have much more merit if it has completely original sprites.

Honestly, editing existing sprites is probably not a bad place to start if you want to practice and make something for yourself. Making content that is worthy of release is a different story.

What I really advise is that first you practice spriting and drawing in general, before just going into making a full character project. It is important that you prepare yourself for things that take time, such as making a character. Remember to always ask on advice on how to get better at art as well.

By the way, even if it seems unrelated, drawing on a paper for practicing does helps you get a better sense in art generally, including sprites.

Last edited:

He just specifically stated he was new to the forums. You don't have to be an asshole. By the way, that's terrible advice, how about you actually give him some tips and tricks, or maybe even a link to a tutorial, instead of calling his question dumb? Honestly Max.

Actually, even if I'm totally not a spriter and that I can't give you pro tips, for doing a character I would myself base on Sonic, and starting by doing a character without shading at all. Then implenting it slowy.

Also, as MotorRoach said, it is required to have a lot of free time since there 170+ sprites to draw for making a character WAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back