Sonic FreeRunner

Status
Not open for further replies.

LongcrierCat

Down In It
Led by Azukara, this is being made in the BlitzEngine.

Gameplay video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyCeHJOeETA&feature=player_embedded

Design Work:

Azukara said:
POZLeveldesignpartone.png

Part one to some level design for Sonic FreeRunner.

I just received this just now from the modeler.

8-Bit Dragon said:
Greg the Cat said:
002.jpg

I have a feeling that Azukara wants me to show you my prop designs for Splashing Springs Zone.

And if he hasn't told you already, I named the Zone.
Nice concepts. Here is a model I created today based on your design.
GregTree_render.jpg

Discuss.

It's another mod for that terrible Blitz engine. What more to say is there? The Blitz engine just feels so weird and doesn't feel all that Sonic-like at all. Why it got so popular is beyond me.

I watched some Sonic FreeRunner videos, and it seems awesome. I can't wait 'til I get to play it! :D Also, are you going to make your own music for it or are you only going to use songs from other games?

I've been keeping my eye on this for some time, I like the thought of this game and saw one of the videos with Sonic on Wing Fortress * it was testing roll physics*

I can't wait to see enemies in the game. :D

It's another mod for that terrible Blitz engine. What more to say is there? The Blitz engine just feels so weird and doesn't feel all that Sonic-like at all. Why it got so popular is beyond me.

Sonic in 3D with speed instantly makes something popular, apparently.
I never understood what's so great about it -- I don't like the controls and it doesn't feel like Sonic to me, either.

Actually, that reminds me of a convo that I had with Azu.

One of guys, Jeztac was hacking Sonic Adventure and placed a loop in the middle of a stage at a speed that wouldn't get him up the loop. Instead of being a scripted event, Sonic came to a momentous stop and slid back down.

So he's thinking of building the game as a mod for Adventure. But there's a problem there since we don't know the code well enough and the bosses would have to be in the realm of the same bosses but with a new coat of paint.

And on the topic of music, it's all original.

http://sonicfreerunner.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=musac&action=display&thread=103&page=1

I had this to say on this musician's work.

"Hmm....

I really like this stuff. But if I had anything to say, make sure to make more music with a harder edge of groove and funk. If anything, the music I remember best from a Sonic game is the stuff that smacks you across the face with a hard drum beat, a groovy rhythm, and a driving pulse of everything working in harmony.

When I was thinking of Splash Hill Zone I was actually thinking Game Gear Jungle Zone, and Strawberry Fields. Something quaint and serene, but very exotic and funky.

Let's see Maxie da Man give a shot at this. And for future reference of Sonic Sonic music, listen to the soundtracks of Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles, Spinball, and the American CD. Jap CD has a good soundtrack, but in my opinion, it has nothing on the american soundtrack. The american soundtrack just sounded... so right. In so many ways. Plus you can't help but admit that Robotnik's theme stroke terror into your heart.

Oh and possibly listen to 3D Blast Saturn Edition. That one also has good music. I want you to really study what's in a beat and rhythm and what makes Sonic sound like Sonic.

But as a musician, you are a great person to have on the team. Just study the best Sonic soundtracks and let them inspire you. While I'm not the project leader, I do want to let everyone know that I want this to have more in common with the classics than Sonic Adventure onward in pretty much everything. That's not to say that later Sonic games had terrible music. I still find music from Unleashed very catchy, and goddamn whoever is doing the soundtrack of Colours is really fucking spectacular. Sounds the most like Sonic I've heard in years.

But yeah. Study. Study what makes Sonic music Sonic. Good job on the Robotnik and Beach levels though. Work on them both, but make sure that Robotnik's music still sounds sinister."

So you DO have original music. In the vids all I heard was classic Sonic songs (The exception is that one song from Eggman's Ship from Adventure).

Sonic in 3D with speed instantly makes something popular, apparently.
I never understood what's so great about it -- I don't like the controls and it doesn't feel like Sonic to me, either.

Your worries are not too unfounded. That's why in this game, we are focusing on the platforming and spinball physics of the classic games in this.

As for enemies.....

SonicART003-1.jpg

Not final designs (haven't even passed them onto Azu) and I might scrap it.

If Sonic 4 did anything right, it's the nice details in the enemies.

I couldn't care less about spinning and ramping.
All I want is something that's a solid and enjoyable platformer with decent controls.

Our coders are tweaking the controls to be tighter last I checked. I'm also testing the builds to see if this game will play well and challenge players.

It looks clearly to be in its alpha stages still, but I'd like to see where it goes.

http://sonicfreerunner.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=musac&action=display&thread=103&page=1

This link doesn't work for guests, by the way.

Christ, do you ever have anything positive to say?

It looks clearly to be in its alpha stages still, but I'd like to see where it goes.

This link doesn't work for guests, by the way.

Ah damn... Well here is the music he has so far.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/314219

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/307924

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/342938

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/343567

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/343652

As I said I really want him to study what makes Sonic music sound like Sonic because while it's pretty good, some stuff needs much more work to fit in as a Sonic tune.

Oh, by the way, we happen to have this guy as a musician as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MaxieDaMan?blend=2&ob=1

INCOMING.

Here is Molten Crystal, straight from Maxie. I'd give you guys Robotropolis, but that seems to be missing... Yes.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/u6gtuw

Last edited:
As I said I really want him to study what makes Sonic music sound like Sonic because while it's pretty good, some stuff needs much more work to fit in as a Sonic tune.

Taking a quick look at them, I agree. In terms of general music, it works, but if he wants the music to resonate classic Sonic, he needs the tracks to be more similar to the structure of Sonic 1/3&K's compositions (melody, possible counter-melody, no unnecessary repetition and empty spots, etc.). Adding backing instruments would add to the depth of the songs, giving the melody instruments more flare would help make it more lively.... There's a lot of things I could touch upon, but yeah, the tracks in their current state wouldn't quite do for a classic Sonic game.

You guys have Maxie doing the music!? :O

I keep liking this more and more...

EDIT: AH! Blue Warrior, you REALLY are a ninja!

Last edited:
Taking a quick look at them, I agree. In terms of general music, it works, but if he wants the music to resonate classic Sonic, he needs the tracks to be more similar to the structure of Sonic 1/3&K's compositions (melody, possible counter-melody, no unnecessary repetition and empty spots, etc.). Adding backing instruments would add to the depth of the songs, giving the melody instruments more flare would help make it more lively.... There's a lot of things I could touch upon, but yeah, the tracks in their current state wouldn't quite do for a classic Sonic game.

Exactly. At the current state they sound more fitted to the Adventure series and Sonic 06 to an extent.

You guys have Maxie doing the music!? :O

I keep liking this more and more...

EDIT: AH! Blue Warrior, you REALLY are a ninja!

Hell yeah, we are. Thing is if recall correctly, he approached US. Yeah. That's right. Maxie wanted to work with us.

Here is Molten Crystal, straight from Maxie. I'd give you guys Robotropolis, but that seems to be missing... Yes.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/u6gtuw
This is more on the mark of what I'm expecting. There's not a whole lot of motion until a change kicks at about 2 minutes in, but it's got the depth and necessary instrument roles to make a good Sonic tune. Just a little more genre and mood variation in the soundtrack, and I think the music will be covered just fine.

Hey guys, it's me, Azukara; leader of the project Sonic FreeRunner.

So yeah, I'm seeing alot of negative feedback on the fact that it's being built with the Blitzsonic engine. Well I have to admit it wasn't the engine I had in mind when starting to put together the game, but it's good for what it is and will get the job done.

Now, I know by what I've seen that the engine gets alot of flak for being "unplayable, non-Sonic like and press-button-to-go-fast". Listen here; the engine was never built for that. You can thank Youtube noobs for ruining the engine in such ways as the engine 'Sonic Blitz 3D Unleashed'. The original coders Damizean and MarktheEchidna never intended it to become this way as the engine was originally being built as Sonic's 2D gameplay from the Genesis titles translated into 3D. This means easy and accessible playability, fun fast gameplay that required gaining your momentum, using rolling/ball physics to obtain high speeds, and have a game with solid platforming, puzzle solving, gimmick using and badnik busting.

To list more about the Blitzsonic engine (that is, if you still hate it anyways), we are highly modifying it to the point that soon enough you will barely be able to notice it's that engine. The physics have been tightened, acceleration has been improved, more animations and fluidity have been implemented, and most importantly the roll ability has been fully brought into 3D space, with it's array of physics, functions and so forth. It's really a much more solid engine than before and actually doesn't feel broken for a change.

Now, most importantly, the point of this game is basically seperated into two pointers: (1) to finish the Genesis-based 3D Sonic Dami and Mark never got to completing, and (2) to create an all-new experience behind Sonic gameplay. Honestly, I always thought that the aspect that while Mario is able to have open worlds and sandbox levels while Sonic remains as "point A to point B" is ridiculous. So, the point of this game to have a freerunning (hence the name) experience. Sure, the world isn't exactly endless and you don't have everything in full access at the very start; but you still are in a world not constrained by time limit, and not constrained by a linear path. Worlds are more open, filled with side-missions, and are built like half skate parks, half Mario 64 stages.

----

I hope that covered alot of things for people and let people know more of what this is about, and I hope you guys will support our project. I wanna keep this running strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back