Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2eeg5yg.png
The outer edge of the level looks boring because everything is the same height. Try making the rock walls taller than the castle walls, maybe adding a little room over the wall with some items.

I'm really looking forward to the first contest entry that makes use of a custom palette.

Just throwing that out there.

That happens when I forget to list what isn't finished yet. The outer wall, as well as the castle are more or less placeholders right now. We'll have some Tails/Knux stuff on that outer wall, and it will not be as flat as it is now.

Also, the ceiling of the castle will not be used. It has some stuff attached to it that is used in the inside of the castle, and we would need to transform all of that into FOFs, thus severely hurting framerate. We originally did consider using it, but for practical reason, it doesn't work.

And before anybody comments on the sky: We don't have a level header yet, that's why. Heck, we don't even have a name.

Last edited:
Well it looks dark to me...maybe it would work with a night sky.

EDIT: Then again, maybe not. It looks dark with the current sky, but when I did some Photoshopping (made the sky black) it looked too bright compared with the sky. A stormy sky and rain would likely be better. And I would then call it, "Rainy Royalty Zone".
Actually, never mind on the new name, that sounds stupid. Or maybe it's just me.
I think I'll stop rambling now.

EDIT 2: Or as another alternative, keep this sky and use brighter textures and flats.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really looking forward to the first contest entry that makes use of a custom palette.

Just throwing that out there.
You mean a per-level palette? Unless there's also a way to have a per-level colormap lump, then there's no way you can use any brightness level under 255 without breaking distance lighting, not to mention the transtables and the whole paraphernalia of issues you would have with players changing colors in netgames. And if you're making a single player entry, you might as well just change the global palette, along with the colormap and transtables.

Just throwing that out there. (the fact that per-level palettes seem senseless to me)

You mean a per-level palette? Unless there's also a way to have a per-level colormap lump, then there's no way you can use any brightness level under 255 without breaking distance lighting, not to mention the transtables and the whole paraphernalia of issues you would have with players changing colors in netgames. And if you're making a single player entry, you might as well just change the global palette, along with the colormap and transtables.

Just throwing that out there. (the fact that per-level palettes seem senseless to me)

We can't even use any custom lumps for any maps beside SP mode so it's not relevant:

5. Custom textures, music, SOCs, and other lumps other than a header and the map itself are not allowed in the Match, Circuit and Capture the Flag contests.

We'd also need new textures to take advantage of the lump so yeah.

Were it allowed I would make a map with a custom palette.

I could imagine a nice sepia-tone pallette going along wonderfully if done right, or using the pallette as a substitute for a level-wide colormap.

You guys seem to forget that lumps of all kinds are allowed in the single player division. This includes custom palettes, should you choose to.

Well, i'm drawing up SP level concepts based around the iMushroom song from Project Chaos.

I've got some objects and textures already drawn up, but I don't have my flash drive with me.

If we had support for changing custom palettes on the fly via linedef executors, it would be tons more useful.

(wait, do we actually have that already? I can't remember.)

Due to lack of interest in my previous project (for now), I continued a DIFFERENT abandoned project:

xsrb0107.png

Yes, another sky level. It's not based off NAGZ or anything though. I lack a name for it as of right now.

dadada.png

Unlike Cloud Cradle, paths will branch off. I'm also going for more sector scenery.
I really need to do something with that bland wall in the back :/

xsrb0109.png

The white water is different than normal water. Submerging yourself in it will shoot you straight up.

I plan to have some more gimmicks too, but this level shouldn't be too frustrating to complete. This should be a lot more elaborate (and fair) than Cloud Cradle was.

D00D, do you have to use teleporters so much?

Sunset Town had them, that coast level had them, cloud cradle had them, and the last beta of that zone I played had them...

There are much better ways to move a player around.

D00D, do you have to use teleporters so much?

Sunset Town had them, that coast level had them, cloud cradle had them, and the last beta of that zone I played had them...

There are much better ways to move a player around.

It helps me keep things organised better, and reduces the amount of things onscreen at once. Sunset Town didn't need them at all honestly (but I made that when I was a newbie, and thus, didn't know much about zoom tubes and other axis-changing things for 2D mode. Hell, that first Zoom Tube is actually broken, IIRC), but Cloud Cradle probably wouldn't work right without them, nor would this level.

犬夜叉;676063 said:
If we had support for changing custom palettes on the fly via linedef executors, it would be tons more useful.

(wait, do we actually have that already? I can't remember.)

Execute Script -> addfile NewPalette.wad -> ??? -> PROFIT

So it is possible right now, and it wouldn't be hard to allow it on the fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back