Sonic Unleashed

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://kotaku.com/assets/images/gallery/9/2008/03/medium_2352553494_c538718654_o.jpg

Somehow, this just seems so oldschool to me... I like it.

As far as the video goes, the sensational loop-de-loop madness looks nice, but it's nothing that we haven't seen before. The graphics are really nice (in fact, I think this is the most I've liked how Sonic looks since his "classic" appearance became outdated), but with so little information given, it's not even worth the rumor-conjuring of whether or not the game will be a sidescroller, free-roamer, on-rail, or a combination of the three, so frankly, I'm not going to even bother. From what I've collected, though, it's apparent that even though Sonic Team keeps ****ing things up, it's not just them working on this game, but a large majority of Sega. I'm sure we've learned from SSBB and SMG that November 2008 isn't a long time, but with how clean the video makes this game look so far, this just might be worth buying.

I've regained a little confidence over Sega with the creation of SatSR, but Sonic's hit/miss ratio is still pretty menacing. So, I would quite simply wait till we actually get some solid information on the title rather than judge the game as it is now. But just seeing the screenshot I linked above gives me a good feeling about this...

Maybe they should make some sort of MMORPG with Sonic with a huge world like they showed in that first Sonic Next Gen trailer. If the battles would not be turn-based and the speed would at least be mach-speed zone style,(come on, we'd all like to see a huge world you can travel along at those speeds) it would be pretty awesome.

Of course, I'm saying this to a bunch of classic-whores, so I'd better take that idea somewhere else. Then again, its not like its gonna happen.

People, did you notice that we're getting so angry Sega isn't going back to the old school thing that we're saying completely stupid things? And not only here, but every place I go to. And you want Sega to make good games that way :/ No MMORPG, no on-rail, just the stupid normal platformer with loops from the old school but in 3D, please >_>

That's what I've been saying all along Sik. The issue is that Sonic is at a position where it's unclear where it should move. Hence all these experimental games. Clearly they're working from the SatSR basis, but making minute changes. If the game is well-received, they'll work from there. Otherwise, they'll go back to SatSR and see what else they could change.

At least, I hope that's what's going on here.

sasuketo uzuchihamaki said:
Wthef, how the crap would that happen?
I think I know what happens so far in the beginning. Sonic infiltrates Eggman's base. He goes Super and just as he does, Eggman uses a device inflicting Sonic with a virus to transform him into a werewolf, and he must find and use the Chaos Emeralds again in a certain amount of time, or it will eventually control him. Not very creative.

No, they don't think that much :P Eggman'll just use a device to separate the evil part of Sonic (the werewolf) from his body for use of his own purposes.

As long as it isn't Darkspine all over again... I'll endure whatever monster Sonic turns into.

I like the style of SatSR and it looks like they are adding ways to make platforming a bit smoother (2.5d areas), personally I don't want to see another Sonic-Adventure style game because this set-up has so much potential.

I'm sure there are people that are going to like the free-roaming style better, or people that would rather see it in some other iteration. I like the idea of Sonic having his own unique genre (sub-genre, whatever). We may never see a really great 3D platformer, but Mario seems to have the field pretty well covered anyways (as well as racing and fighting). If you can't compete, try a different sport, I guess that is what Sonic is doing.

There should be the multiple paths thing from Sonic 3K. It could be cool, because the upper path can take you to the front of the screen, the middle in the middle, and the lower in the back. Awesome for a 3D effect.

This needs Sonic and Tails gameplay, with MORE than just seven Zones. Sonic 3K had 13.

Whoa, are they really gonna make Sonic into some kinda of Werehog thing? That seems more like something that would be in a "The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" episode instead of a game. But other than that this game looks really promising. I just hope they keep it like this.

The game looks good.I wonder if this game will be succesful.
Also Supersonics energy getting depleted by something is not new to me.
S3
Werewolf?Ring energy?Ill probally need more info before I can base
anything about this.Wii and ps3 you say?Why not Xbox?Oh well.

Draykon said:
That's what I've been saying all along Sik. The issue is that Sonic is at a position where it's unclear where it should move. Hence all these experimental games. Clearly they're working from the SatSR basis, but making minute changes. If the game is well-received, they'll work from there. Otherwise, they'll go back to SatSR and see what else they could change.

At least, I hope that's what's going on here.

That FAILS. SatSR was good, and I liked the gimmick. But I don't want ANOTHER one; that gimmick just feels like a one-time thing. You mean, even after this Sonic Unleashed is out, they'll still make another SatSR-style game? Just no. Just no.

Sega already has proven what works. Now the developers need to apply it. Otherwise they'll keep committing Sega Syndrome.

Yay 2d ^_^ and why does he turn into a were wolf >.<wasn't that done in Zelda first?
I hope Elise isn't in it. Since they said it's following the Iblis disaster story so she might T.T
That Sonic pic of him screaming is creepy >.<

You're all assuming that Sonic turns into a werewolf. You guys have no idea what's actually supposed to happen. We simply do not have enough information to start speculating on anything in this at all yet.

Guys most people said "Uhh, I think it's going to be good" in the Sonic Next Gen topic back in 2006. How do you know it's going to be good?

My point is don't judge a game by it's looks.

Ashura The Hedgehog said:
Guys most people said "Uhh, I think it's going to be good" in the Sonic Next Gen topic back in 2006. How do you know it's going to be good?

My point is don't judge a game by it's looks.

Thank you. And the whole werewolfhog, even if it's not Sonic, just sounds stupid as far as plot goes. A bad plot hurts. This may be good. This may not be good. But if it's going to be SatSR-style, I don't want it, for reasons I have already explained.

Also, this reminds me of when BZ4 thought Glaber's Endless Mine was going to be good. It wasn't. I saw something fishy when I saw the screenshot of two NiGHTS Bumpers pointing into the floor.

Dark Warrior said:
You're all assuming that Sonic turns into a werewolf. You guys have no idea what's actually supposed to happen. We simply do not have enough information to start speculating on anything in this at all yet.
Not me. And in fact all the time I was trying to explain it would be just too good for new-school Sega's quality, meaning that Sega is most likely to do something even worse with it.

Dark Warrior said:

But what's wrong with speculating? Even if you don't have a ton of information about it, speculation is actually useful; it acts as a foundation to build upon, regardless of the amount of info behind it. It looks cool, and it's new, so I don't see anything wrong with assuming things. It's fun once you get into it, and you more or less dig deeper into the subject learning more about the subject of speculation than you once did. I had never heard of "Sonic Unleashed" until some person was roaming around the internet and found a news article about it, and now I'm interested. Speculation is awesome, really. =D

Besides, people do it all the time with pretty much everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back