• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Jay's Miscellaneous Makings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to just waltz in here and woh and behold, a GOOD Mario-Mode project. I attempted this way back with D00D under the title Mario Koopa Blast All-Stars, but it never got anywhere. I kinda really hope this does after seeing an actual good fucking fireball.

Would you consider making fireball's speed additive to your current speed by the way? So if you're running and toss one it'll adjust to how fast you're moving and not let you actually RUN ahead of it.

Hey, look! More stuff!

CANNONW1.png
CANNONW3.png

Cannon textures! These are about twice as large as they were in Super Mario 3D World, though. I did this on purpose because the cannonballs will be twice as large too.

checkpoint.gif
checkpoint-sonic.gif
checkpoint-tails.gif
checkpoint-knuckles.gif

Checkpoints! Unlike starposts, the symbol and color will change to tell you who got there first. (The Sonic and Knuckles icons were taken from the CTF flags, but I made the Tails icon.) They also make sounds. I just need to fix up the base of the flagpole a bit and make it so they don't change back to Bowser when the level resets after dying.

amp.gif

Amps! Haven't made the sparks around them yet, but these little guys will fly in circles and can't be defeated unless you're under the effect of a Mega Mushroom or Rainbow Star. They'll probably orbit NiGHTS axes or somethin'.

Decided to just waltz in here and woh and behold, a GOOD Mario-Mode project. I attempted this way back with D00D under the title Mario Koopa Blast All-Stars, but it never got anywhere. I kinda really hope this does after seeing an actual good fucking fireball.

Thanks!

Would you consider making fireball's speed additive to your current speed by the way? So if you're running and toss one it'll adjust to how fast you're moving and not let you actually RUN ahead of it.

Well, they're already faster than the player (and even faster than a player with a Rainbow Star). I might do that, though.

Last edited:
I'm loving all of these anims, specially the flags. Just kind of thinking how that would work with addon characters, so I kinda imagined to have a blank flag with the character's color in there would be nice (at least if they don't have flag sprites for it).

I'm loving all of these anims, specially the flags. Just kind of thinking how that would work with addon characters, so I kinda imagined to have a blank flag with the character's color in there would be nice (at least if they don't have flag sprites for it).

That's the thing I can't decide. If I make character icons for the flag, I'd have to make them for every custom character... On the other hand, a blank flag is a bit bland. I could try to do like a mushroom icon or a question mark or something, but I dunno.

Oh my... Those things are amazing and I'm looking forward to see how it will look ingame!
About Amps, sometimes, it is mostly used as a non-moving obstacle on platforming sections in Mario Games. It could also use waypoints to move left and right and still be anoying.

*6-day late reply because my laptop's charger died 6 days ago*

Those are both good ideas!
Did I actually say something useful? Aw yiss

I'll have to try them.
I wish you luck with that, though you might already be done, seeing this reply is 6 days late. (Also, to anyone it's not obvious for as to why I mentioned Star-sharing for singleplayer, not just co-op, note the Sonic & Tails character option.)

Also, just fixed the super color.
Which one(s)? Player colour when super, non-rainbow-trails when super-invincible, or both?

Being too lazy to quote more messages, I won't quote-quote them.

@Phil the hegi, "How do you anti-alias on/off alpha edges? Look at Chuckles."
The italic in that "quote" is my own text he quoted.
That is what I meant by "darker shades around the edges of the edges" or whatever I said. It looks bad (in my opinion). Plus it's not really anti-aliased, it's still only on/off.

@IcemanErrorNotFound, "Fireballs relative to player speed"
As far as I'm aware, that does not happen in at least New Super Mario Bros., but my memory might be wrong. Fireballs would still be faster than you under any non-hack circumstances, but they aren't relative to your movement speed when launching them. Plus, this Mario thing does slow down everyone quite a bit.

@Jay, " *Gifs* Checkpoints!"
Please tell me you're going to smooth out the shading on the flags. Sure, I do not any moment think you will not do that, but as you didn't mention you were going to, I have to ask. Also, I support the idea of a star for custom characters.

Edit: Also, seeing the release of 2.1.9 (and .10) and its ways of disabling abilities, would it be possible to instead of replacing abilities with none, make an AbilitySpecial hook always return "true" (to disable jump abilities), and then make the run speed boost occur if a character's ability is thok, homing thok or jump thok (instead of skin being Sonic), and the speedless jump boost if a character's ability is fly or swim (instead of skin being Tails)? (You may want to make it so if ability is jump-boost, change the ability to fly, to avoid potentially higher jumps.) That might give a bit more support for a few custom characters, I think.

Last edited:
Which one(s)? Player colour when super, non-rainbow-trails when super-invincible, or both?

Both.

That is what I meant by "darker shades around the edges of the edges" or whatever I said. It looks bad (in my opinion). Plus it's not really anti-aliased, it's still only on/off.
That's not what I was talking about by anti-aliasing. When you anti-alias sprites, opacity/translucency has absolutely nothing to do with it. Let's say you have three shades of green.
G4jOtbR.png

Internal anti-aliasing (which is what you do with sprites that use transparent backgrounds) is when you take colors and blend them a bit by adding a few pixels where these colors are adjacent to one another. A lot of SRB2's sprites do this, and it looks like this.
2o3hpcY.png

It makes the shading look so much smoother, and also drastically improves the appearance of things like jagged edges, curves, and such.

Please tell me you're going to smooth out the shading on the flags. Sure, I do not any moment think you will not do that, but as you didn't mention you were going to, I have to ask. Also, I support the idea of a star for custom characters.

rHsW9fM.gif

Made the flag look better, tweaked the base of the flagpole a bit, and shortened it. Also, I guess I'll go with a star for custom characters, since everyone seems to agree on it.

Edit: Also, seeing the release of 2.1.9 (and .10) and its ways of disabling abilities, would it be possible to instead of replacing abilities with none, make an AbilitySpecial hook always return "true" (to disable jump abilities), and then make the run speed boost occur if a character's ability is thok, homing thok or jump thok (instead of skin being Sonic), and the speedless jump boost if a character's ability is fly or swim (instead of skin being Tails)? (You may want to make it so if ability is jump-boost, change the ability to fly, to avoid potentially higher jumps.) That might give a bit more support for a few custom characters, I think.

Interesting. If this'll make Knuckles able to bust blocks without having his midair ability, it'll be perfect.

I swear I'll get back to frequently updating soon. I've been addicted to TF2 for the past few days, though... Leveling my stranges keeps popping into my mind, aaaaaa

Last edited:
Both.

That's not what I was talking about by anti-aliasing. When you anti-alias sprites, opacity/translucency has absolutely nothing to do with it. Let's say you have three shades of green.
G4jOtbR.png

Internal anti-aliasing (which is what you do with sprites that use transparent backgrounds) is when you take colors and blend them a bit by adding a few pixels where these colors are adjacent to one another. A lot of SRB2's sprites do this, and it looks like this.
2o3hpcY.png

It makes the shading look so much smoother, and also drastically improves the appearance of things like jagged edges, curves, and such.

rHsW9fM.gif

Made the flag look better, tweaked the base of the flagpole a bit, and shortened it. Also, I guess I'll go with a star for custom characters, since everyone seems to agree on it.

Interesting. If this'll make Knuckles able to bust blocks without having his midair ability, it'll be perfect.

I swear I'll get back to frequently updating soon. I've been addicted to TF2 for the past few days, though... Leveling my stranges keeps popping into my mind, aaaaaa
Hey Jay can custom characters make a custom icon instead of star?

G4jOtbR.png

2o3hpcY.png

Well, in that case, I won't mind the star being "anti-aliased". But I still believe alpha has to do with anti-aliasing outside of Sonic Robo Blast 2.

The flag itself in that gif seems to only have 2 shades, though. That my eyes do not like. But I'm glad to see you're going with stars for custom characters.

I highly doubt it won't do that. Thus you now have a "unique ability" for Knuckles, like Sonic being faster and Tails always jumping higher, and custom characters can also have those special ability things.

Last edited:
Hey Jay can custom characters make a custom icon instead of star?

I thought about that, actually. Thing is, look at how many custom characters there are. Brak, Metal Sonic, Rosy, and others, then there are those that haven't even come out yet (Shadow, Jasper, etc). So if I made all those, I'd have to constantly update whenever a new character came out. I'd rather go with one symbol that fits all custom characters, rather than make tons for each seperate one.

The flag itself in that gif seems to only have 2 shades, though. That my eyes do not like. But I'm glad to see you're going with stars for custom characters.

There are actually three shades on the flag itself. It's really not that hard to see, if you look carefully.

I thought about that, actually. Thing is, look at how many custom characters there are. Brak, Metal Sonic, Rosy, and others, then there are those that haven't even come out yet (Shadow, Jasper, etc). So if I made all those, I'd have to constantly update whenever a new character came out. I'd rather go with one symbol that fits all custom characters, rather than make tons for each seperate one.
if player.marioflag==nil
player.marioflag=S_MARIOFLAG_STAR1
end

Would that be a possibility? (You can hopefully see where I'm trying to go with this.)

There are actually three shades on the flag itself. It's really not that hard to see, if you look carefully.
...When I really tried to look for it, I could see a little... weirdness. I had to copy the flag image and paste it in an image editor to see it having 3 shades. It would be easier to see if the middle shade had the colour 47 47 47 instead of 39 39 39, seeing the bright shade is 63, and the dark is 31. But yeah, I'm just really nitpicky about stuff, I guess.

srb20000_by_thezeroteam-d7uvi1f.gif

The fireballs look like that because I don't have your Mario-thing loaded.
Edit: Whoever guesses how I did this knows how I did this.

if player.marioflag==nil
player.marioflag=S_MARIOFLAG_STAR1
end

Would that be a possibility? (You can hopefully see where I'm trying to go with this.)

Or I could just do
Code:
if (toucher and toucher.skin == "sonic") then
    checkpoint.state = S_CHECKPOINTFLAG_SONIC1
if (toucher and toucher.skin == "tails") then
    checkpoint.state = S_CHECKPOINTFLAG_TAILS1
if (toucher and toucher.skin == "knuckles") then
    checkpoint.state = S_CHECKPOINTFLAG_KNUX1
else checkpoint.state = S_CHECKPOINTFLAG_STAR1
end

...When I really tried to look for it, I could see a little... weirdness. I had to copy the flag image and paste it in an image editor to see it having 3 shades. It would be easier to see if the middle shade had the colour 47 47 47 instead of 39 39 39, seeing the bright shade is 63, and the dark is 31. But yeah, I'm just really nitpicky about stuff, I guess.

So it's more of a contrast issue, then? I suppose if anyone else thinks it doesn't have enough contrast, I'll change it, but if nobody says anything then I'll keep it.

srb20000_by_thezeroteam-d7uvi1f.gif

The fireballs look like that because I don't have your Mario-thing loaded.
Edit: Whoever guesses how I did this knows how I did this.

I certainly hope this doesn't sound rude, but you should make your own thread for that. While that looks nice and definitely has potential, showing off your work in others' topics isn't the best way to do things.

I was going to make a spring...

O7YS5TH.png

and actually didn't get trapped in a seven hour game of TF2 today. I'll probably add the footprints to the top of it, and make the inside of it look prettier. It's not even functional yet, as I haven't figured out how it'd work.

Well, you can make the area inside the spring a linedef trigger to a Lua script, and make the script cause the trigger's vertical momentum go upwards and force them into spring states. The only issue is how to make the springboard move, as it uses sidedefs. I don't know if you can mess with those. If you could, you can probably animate the spring by changing the sidedefs to different frames of the spring animation, and lower the fof on the top by the appropriate amount.

In other words, way to complicated to be very practical, unless you make a lot of copypasta.

(I actually really wanna take this for my own mod)

Or I could just do
Code:
if (toucher and toucher.skin == "sonic") then
    checkpoint.state = S_CHECKPOINTFLAG_SONIC1
if (toucher and toucher.skin == "tails") then
    checkpoint.state = S_CHECKPOINTFLAG_TAILS1
if (toucher and toucher.skin == "knuckles") then
    checkpoint.state = S_CHECKPOINTFLAG_KNUX1
else checkpoint.state = S_CHECKPOINTFLAG_STAR1
end
My point was to make it so custom characters can include their own state for checkpoint flags, which gets put onto the checkpoint when passed, unless the variable is nil, in which case it would get the star. So you wouldn't have to update the mod every time a custom character makes a Mario checkpoint flag.

So it's more of a contrast issue, then?
I guess. Again I'm just pretty nitpicky about stuff.

I certainly hope this doesn't sound rude, but you should make your own thread for that. While that looks nice and definitely has potential, showing off your work in others' topics isn't the best way to do things.
Note: Silly excuses ahead.
Well, this topic is Mario-related. I was not going to do it again, and I still won't. But it could maybe even become something you'd like to use later, or something... (I don't really have enough stuff to make my own editing thread yet, that's another reason. Sorry.) And no, it doesn't sound rude to me.

Coins!

COINS.gif

Red and blue variants also exist (and are mostly functional), but weren't shown. If you're wondering why the Ring counter doesn't increase, it's because I'm not collecting rings!

To do:
  • Fix up the sprites a bit
  • Finish the Red Coins entirely
  • Add a way to keep track of coins in-level
Custom HUD soon to come!

ScornfulValuableAiredaleterrier.gif

Here is the very beginning of a custom HUD. It'll be based on New Super Mario Bros. U. I still need to use v.drawPaddedNum to make the score, lives, and coins, because that's how NSMB does it. Aside from that, there will also be a couple other things, but I won't spoil any of that just yet.

I know what you're thinking -- "ugh, a time limit!" It'll be removable, by either level header or console command, but my levels will use them. Time is measured in 0.6-second units, just as most Mario games measure them. When you have one minute left (or 100 units), the jingle plays, and then the music was supposed to speed up, but at the moment I have it playing a different song entirely while I try to figure out how to fix some problems. The timer itself can be adjusted with lua.mariotime in the level header. If this is absent, it defaults to 400 units, or 4 minutes (currently).

As for red coins, my idea is to place 8 of them throughout the map, and collecting all 8 will reward you with an emblem.

While I think the numbers and icon need some fixing up, I'm done for today (Been at this all day, in fact).

Last edited:
I know what you're thinking -- "ugh, a time limit!" It'll be removable, by either level header or console command, - The timer itself can be adjusted with lua.mariotime in the level header. If this is absent, it defaults to 400 units, or 4 minutes (currently).
That's... pretty contradictory or whatever it's called. I'd prefer not setting a time limit gives no time limit. (Also, it may be worth making the console command act as a "cheat", as in "modify the game" so emblems/unlockables and such can't be gotten. Edit: If that's possible with Lua, that is.)

As for red coins, my idea is to place 8 of them throughout the map, and collecting all 8 will reward you with an emblem.
Now that sounds like fun to me.

console command
Speaking of the console, would it be possible to have an "always-run" console variable? Wouldn't act as a cheat. I'd just prefer not holding B to run, up-arrow to move forwards, and pressing Z to jump. It hurts a bit to do so. And my computer can't handle Z (jump), X (spin) and up-arrow (forward) at the same time, so... eh. If I were to use a controller, I'd also prefer not holding left D-Pad button to run while also using the left stick to move. (I have Custom 1 bound to left D-Pad key on DualShock 3's/4's.) I wouldn't like to have to change my key mappings just for a mod. Of course, this suggestion can be ignored, it's nothing major.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back