Invalid Goofy spike job in DSZ2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmint

‫‬‭‮‪‫‬‭‮
0fC4p.png

What's up with these spikes? They don't hurt you, kinda look like they are floating, and are just pointless in general.

This is what's up with these spikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's kinda hard to get hurt by ceiling spikes since only their tips are hurtful; and there's water current to make everything harder. Anyway, it's possible if you climb the wall to touch the outermost spikes. Good luck.

Hmmm... I think there's something more nasty with ceiling spikes. Look at this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4799936/SRB2/BugReports/Detaching_spikes.wmv

(one other detail: if you stand on a detached ceiling spike, you're forced into spinning state)

Last edited:
Ceiling variants of objects shouldn't even exist, everything should be done using the object flip flag.

I don't remember that I'm forced into spinning state when I stand on, for example, a gargoyle or decorative cannonball. ^_~

Could you please say which other solid objects that behave like that?

Custom SOCed solids, such as KO.T.E.'s cameo characters in The Chaos Domain.

I once tried to make a solid Red XVI, but I always spinned whenever I jumped on it.

Custom SOCed solids, such as KO.T.E.'s cameo characters in The Chaos Domain.
Because KO.T.E. intended to do so. Ceiling spikes were not.

Just because a custom object does that doesn't mean that others should do.

Last edited:
Whether they actually work or not, the spikes still just kinda jump out as awkward to me.

You can't see from that screenshot, but there's a set of Knuckles only breakable pillars in the same spot as the spikes, and the spikes look even more out of place when the pillars aren't broken. They actually look okay from the correct side of the pillars. :P

Last edited:
Really? I'm pretty sure... *checks SOC editor* that isn't a function.
MF2_STANDONME isn't a function because it's a mobj flag, silly. Hence the MF.

I knew what it was called and what its function was, but I wasn't sure if it was a primary or secondary attribute and honestly couldn't be arsed to check. It doesn't help that SRB2 Wiki returns no results for "standonme", but does return the relevant article for "mf2_standonme".

If they don't hurt you that's an issue, but the reason for those spikes is the weird coop situation where one player playing as Knuckles opens the Knuckles path and another player playing as another character goes onto it. Since only Knuckles can break out that way, the spikes were added as a suicide switch to prevent the player from becoming completely trapped.

Since only Knuckles can break out that way, the spikes were added as a suicide switch to prevent the player from becoming completely trapped.
Oh, that makes sense as to why they are there, now I feel stupid for not thinking of this. >_<

Anyway, I just tested it with the scenario you said, I got Sonic stuck in the pillars and the spikes did work for suicide. I just never got them to hurt me before for some reason, probably because of the current.

So thanks, now that the purpose of the spikes is cleared up I guess someone can trash this bug. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back