SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion > Bug Reports

Old 04-12-2017   #1
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Default Angles can make you run faster than your normalspeed

Now granted this is a 1-3 Fracunit difference, but when coding in lua and you're trying to pull the player's speed for certain things this can be huge.

It seems that the closer your character is to pointing towards a 45-degree angle, the more they can pass their normalspeed as demonstrated with the attached Lua script (this script disables the Speedcap, yes the speed cap was never intended to be disabled but it should still count as a bug), the Lua script works with any character and is also reproducable with any character.

Spoiler: large gif! (sorry, the attatchment system hates me...)

Attached Files
File Type: lua speedcapremover.lua (393 Bytes, 81 views)
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017   #2
Zwip-Zwap Zapony
Please just call me Zappy.

I'd like to say that that GIF is a pretty bad example of the issue due to the speed-unlimiting (but still a somewhat valid example). As you said, though, in completely vanilla gameplay there does occur a 1-3 FracUnit speed difference. (I just want to make sure people understand this is also a (very, very minor) issue in vanilla SRB2.)
Zwip-Zwap Zapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017   #3
GreenKnight9000

Wow, those could act like speed boosters and (perhaps if pulled off correctly) be used for MACH SPEED SECTIONS
man, i'm mesmerised by how sonic blasts off into the distance, I just can't help but go "WEEEEEEEEE"

A rare occasion where a bug may not only be useful, but absolutely FUN (but a bug nonetheless)

P.S: may we have a download for the speedcap removal? sounds like fun
GreenKnight9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017   #4
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKnight9000 View Post
P.S: may we have a download for the speedcap removal? sounds like fun
The Lua script is attached.
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017   #5
RedEnchilada
happy, pretty, lovely!
Developer

The player itself doesn't move any faster diagonally; however, the calculation for player->speed uses P_AproxDistance, which is not completely precise. Whether or not it matters enough to fix is debatable (it's a one-line change, but also doesn't affect anything in the vanilla game) but if you need a way now to get the precise speed value, just use R_PointToDist2(0, 0, player.rmomx, player.rmomy)
RedEnchilada is offline   Reply With Quote