SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > SRB2.org > News

Old 01-05-2014   #41
Unknownlight

Actually, what more needs to be done until SRB2 is considered a fully complete game?

After 2.1 is released, the obvious holes in the single player mode will be Arid Canyon Act 2 and Boss, Red Volcano Act 2 and Boss, a new/revised boss for Egg Rock, and possibly, maybe a Super Sonic boss.

Due to how the new special stages work, with each of the seven emeralds corresponding with each of the seven zones, I assume that Dark City and Grand Eggship have been scrapped. This means that Red Volcano will have to be significantly revamped to ease the difficulty curve, which is a good thing because RV1 is too easy right now.

There are also the Super Levels and Hyper Levels that need to be completed. I initially thought that the Super Levels might be cut, meaning that only one more Hyper Level would have to be completed (joining Aerial Garden and Azure Temple) but apparently Sweet Tooth Zone is already being worked on, so there goes that idea. Perhaps instead Sweet Tooth, Dark City, and Grand Eggship could make up the Super Levels?

Finally, the SRB1 remake still has to be completed, and Mario Koopa Blast has to be cut or remade.

...So, am I missing anything, or is that it?
Unknownlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #42
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownlight View Post
Due to how the new special stages work, with each of the seven emeralds corresponding with each of the seven zones, I assume that Dark City and Grand Eggship have been scrapped.
They haven't.

Also, bear in mind that what you described is pretty much a "bare essentials" list of things that SRB2 has to feature in order to be considered finished. If you divide the new content in 2.1 into features that are on such an imaginary list and features that are not, the majority of new content is clearly in the second column. In fact, the only "essential" (by that standard) additions in 2.1 are CEZ3, Azure Temple and the special stages, and for older versions it's even more lopsided. You can expect future versions beyond 2.1 to have a similar ratio of "essential" to "non-essential" additions, so the game might yet take a long time to complete even if the list of absolutely necessary features is comparatively short.

Last edited by MascaraSnake; 01-05-2014 at 09:50 PM.
MascaraSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014   #43
Rob
Administrator

Do also note that people did actually request that I not make ERZS in favor of DCZS or GEZS for the sake of zone order. Obviously that did not happen but the special stages shouldn't be used as a reference for the final lineup.

Last edited by Rob; 01-07-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #44
Iceman404
Tyler52 Forever

I was honestly thinking basing Special Stages on specific SP maps was not a good idea, just because of this.
Old 01-08-2014   #45
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Honestly, I initially was worried about the theming as well, but after playing with the stages I'm really happy with the visual variety it provides. Hell, if we really want to be silly we COULD just have 8 emeralds in whatever future version introduces extra zones =P
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #46
Haruka

Hmmm...Game really looks good, also the graphic config. for low-end hardware is better than the SRB2 2.0.6, also the character selection looks awesome, i will wait untill is out, i can't Wait!!! >_<
Haruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #47
Unknownlight

With regards to special stages, another idea is that the first seven zones reward you with Chaos Emeralds for beating them, and then any special stages after that reward you with emblems.
Unknownlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #48
Trolo Bobo
Get "N" or get out!

Wow everything looks so awesome about 2.1! But, whit the new esc menu, what will happen to the "Network options" menu from 2.0? Some of those things there were really useful in netgames...
Trolo Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #49
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

The pause menu changes accordingly to the situation, those options for netgames won't be gone.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #50
Sigmund_Froid

Please get rid of the Flying Battery mid-boss segment in Egg Rock Zone 2. It's time consuming.
Sigmund_Froid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #51
M.V
Alright!

Will 2.1 have at least ACZ2? Or only CEZ3 and changes in the other levels? I think has many hidden surprises. Am I interested in REDXVI, as it will be that he will be?
Old 01-10-2014   #52
"Lat'"
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Also, maybe my graphic card doesn't render SRB2 as the 2.1 screenshot shows but, was Sonic's color a bit changed? It looks more dark than the Sonic I can see when I play SRB2.
"Lat'" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #53
Trolo Bobo
Get "N" or get out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.V View Post
Will 2.1 have at least ACZ2? Or only CEZ3 and changes in the other levels? I think has many hidden surprises. Am I interested in REDXVI, as it will be that he will be?
I think that the only new level that will be added in 2.1 is CEZ3, but all the other levels have many changes (maybe not GFZ3 but I don't know). On the wiki says that the cannon room has been completely reworked and plays nothing like the original, with the RedXVI secret room being removed.
Trolo Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #54
M.V
Alright!

Quote:
I think that the only new level that will be added in 2.1 is CEZ3, but all the other levels have many changes (maybe not GFZ3 but I don't know). On the wiki says that the cannon room has been completely reworked and plays nothing like the original, with the RedXVI secret room being removed.
Certain, but there is a lot of things that me I already read in other places that I didn't see in the wiki, for that I say that there is many hidden surprises.
Old 01-12-2014   #55
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Have you guys fixed netplay yet? Or at least made it so it's not a stumbling shitosaurus on my 64-bit Win7 machine?

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #56
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

How many times have we said the netcode is just as shit is as it is in 2.0.7? I'll reiterate it: the netcode is shit.
Old 01-12-2014   #57
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Just port in SRB2CS and be done with it :(

It should only take you guys like... another year or two lol

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #58
Bluecore
Cyansonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Warrior View Post
should only take you guys like... another year or two
Back in 1.09.4(a) STJ said that would be the last final Demo.
With means 2.0(Onwards) is the full game.

So if you're going to 2.1, you should only be making changes to things already in game.

As cool as "Dark City" Zone would have been, I agree with Warrior, to change the net code.

*Also, Still waiting for DC update. =P*

BillGates
Bluecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #59
Charybdizs
Excelsior
Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Warrior View Post
Just port in SRB2CS and be done with it :(

It should only take you guys like... another year or two lol
lol why not? Having players' controls be instantaneous is so much more important than exact visuals. You can always account for a particularly laggy player, but no amount of fast reaction or thought can save you from control lag. All your good games out there put player input over visual accuracy.
Charybdizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #60
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Do realize that SRB2CS only works in match/ctf. It doesn't work at all in the modes that would benefit from it the most, such as coop, comp, race, etc.

Yes, we all realize the netcode is abysmal, but unless you're planning on fixing it yourself, there's not a whole lot we have the resources to fix. At least SRB2CS was a solid proof of concept someone actually made instead of just talking about it.