SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 11-13-2016   #5421
Arcade Gamer
Acts like a mature adult

Castlebot Facestabbers are the easiest enemies in the game, they need bigger hitboxes and need a buff. Like when their charging, you cannot hurt them.
Arcade Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016   #5422
SANICBOOM644
Blue Hedgehog Acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by 742mph View Post
They have some, sure, but most of the time, you can't just hold forward to win. There are obstacles in your path that you have to react to, and reacting to them in a way that lets you keep your speed up requires a level of skill that many players won't have from the get-go. That's exactly what made the well-designed parts of the classic Sonic games well-designed - going fast was a reward for gitting gud.
You cant go fast by simply going forward. The classic sonic usually works is branching paths with the upper path being more risky while still allowing you to go faster
SANICBOOM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016   #5423
Sapheros
That guy that ports

Just about every stage in SRB2 minus GFZ1 has alternate paths at some point that will give you a different challenge when you approach them. What's your point?
Old 11-14-2016   #5424
SANICBOOM644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapheros View Post
Just about every stage in SRB2 minus GFZ1 has alternate paths at some point that will give you a different challenge when you approach them. What's your point?
Shortcuts. There are ways to get to the goal faster such as the upper paths in GfZ2 just like classic sonic does
Old 11-16-2016   #5425
Ritz
cornstar

I don't have time to check, but it isn't currently possible to offset a middle texture to make it overlap the upper or lower textures of the sector, is it? I know you can do it with FOFs, but I want it for sectors. It'll be cool, promise.
Old 11-20-2016   #5426
Jorklenis2
Owner of EminenceGaming

It would be cool to add the weather station system again, as in the old versions, the theme of Halloween and Christmas, something that I have never even understood because they have removed it.
Old 11-20-2016   #5427
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

...weather station system? Do you mean the holiday themes?

That said SRB2 never changed for Halloween, that was an SRB2JTE thing. Though apart from Christmas some changes did happen for Easter and April Fools Day.

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016   #5428
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

If I remember right, the system was removed because of what it did to multiplayer when active
glaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016   #5429
XleederTH
íReremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorklenis2 View Post
It would be cool to add the weather station system again, as in the old versions, the theme of Halloween and Christmas, something that I have never even understood because they have removed it.
For what? Somebody can make a mod with these things. (obviusly, experienced.)

Last edited by XleederTH; 11-20-2016 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Correcting things :vadawd
XleederTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016   #5430
SANICBOOM644

Quote:
Originally Posted by XleederTH View Post
For what? Somebody can make a mod with these things. (obviusly, experienced.)
So if they removed running from SRB2 "someone can make running in a mod" is not a viable excuse.
Old 11-21-2016   #5431
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

Wanna know the real reason it was removed? Cost-benefit analysis.
  • During Final Demo, there were only three singleplayer zones worth of textures to consider. The larger the game gets, the more complex it becomes to set up all of the texture replacements, and the larger the bonus file that provides the Christmas textures gets. AJ did actually want Christmas mode in 2.0, but this was issue was the thing that stopped him from being able to port it forward, and that's a goddamn shame beyond all measure.
  • Because of the fact time zones (and broken system clocks) exist, it's possible for someone in one time zone/system clock setting to load SRB2 with the Christmas file, and someone in another time zone/system clock setting to load SRB2 without it. This causes netgame desynchronisation. Add in that was possible to turn off the Christmas functionality with a command line setting, or manually add it in whilst playing normally if you knew which file to add, and things got very messy very quickly.
  • Meanwhile, with Easter, we DID actually keep it in the game - the emblem hunt system from 2.0 that was later refined for 2.1 was directly based on the Easter Egg Hunt system, with the benefit of being all year around to avoid messing around with the time zone issue mentioned above.
  • The SRB2TGF intro was removed because at this point of having vacated the everything, it wasn't worth keeping the date/time checking system in the game's code just for one gag.
  • Mystic hates date/time secrets with a firey passion, and it's honestly easier to shut him up so he stops complaining about stuff when it takes this amount of work to make happen. ;p
I hope this post was informative.
<MonsterIestyn> watch porm to keep warm

Last edited by toaster; 03-24-2017 at 10:29 AM.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016   #5432
TheCreeperDemon

Maybe after you beat Ariel Garden Zone in the extras you could unlock Classic Or Modern Sonic, or maybe even Shadow or Silver.
TheCreeperDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016   #5433
Sapheros
That guy that ports

...What? That makes no sense. When you beat Aerial Garden Zone, you unlock Azure Temple Zone. There is no need for extra characters in SRB2.
Old 11-22-2016   #5434
MotorRoach
Top Cock
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreeperDemon View Post
Maybe after you beat Ariel Garden Zone in the extras you could unlock Classic Or Modern Sonic, or maybe even Shadow or Silver.
Don't worry, fam, I got you covered:

MotorRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016   #5435
XleederTH
íReremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANICBOOM644 View Post
So if they removed running from SRB2 "someone can make running in a mod" is not a viable excuse.
I was saying is useless put these things in the game. But, everybody experienced can make a mod. (anyways. it takes time)

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorRoach View Post
Don't worry, fam, I got you covered:

I think it's a joke. (It would change so much the game)

Last edited by XleederTH; 11-22-2016 at 03:32 AM. Reason: improving the post
XleederTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016   #5436
RomioTheBadass
PK3 Fetishist

You guys going to change the main menu Sonic sprite to look similar to the Playable character ?
RomioTheBadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016   #5437
SANICBOOM644

[QUOTE=XleederTH;787013]I was saying is useless put these things in the game. But, everybody experienced can make a mod. (anyways. it takes time)

I was saying that once it was an actual feature. You can't just remove features because other people can make mods for the game. Toaster justified the removal of them with her statements earlier. None of them had anything to with mods

That picture made me laugh. I hope it gets in as an easter egg or something.
Old 11-22-2016   #5438
"Lat'"
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomioTheBadass View Post
You guys going to change the main menu Sonic sprite to look similar to the Playable character ?

The almighty has spoken, here is an accruate design of how Sonic is actually gonna look in 2.2

No in all seriousness the title screen is gonna be replaced as whole.
"Lat'" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016   #5439
TheCreeperDemon

REALLY! Classic Sonic is my one of my favorite characters. I have plans for a level pack that I may make where Classic Sonic has discovered new zones and has to explore them!
Sneak peak of zone names.
Jungle Safari Zone
Blazing Mine Shaft Zone
Boss 1 Name: Mechanical Moto Bug a Moto Bug but it has spikes on its sides back and top of its shell and it can fly.
;]
TheCreeperDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016   #5440
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANICBOOM644 View Post
I was saying that once it was an actual feature. You can't just remove features because other people can make mods for the game. Toaster justified the removal of them with her statements earlier. None of them had anything to with mods
The point here is more that a mod handles all the negative aspects of the original implementation. There's nothing stopping anyone here from making a huge mod that properly retextures the entire game and edits sprites and other things to actually make it work in stages other than GFZ and THZ. It's just real effort and nobody wants to do it.

Also, this gets brought up literally every year. For a more detailed look at why Christmas mode is never coming back, check out this thread from five years ago: http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=36606
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote