SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 01-28-2016   #5021
StarmakerJasper
Hey, that's my pudding!

I believe blue springs in general are considered to be mostly useless, since jumping essentially gives you the same height a blue spring will give you but with tons more control. Like you said, it could be useful in water since it would take you a tad higher than your regular jump, but that's pretty much the only instance where I could ever see it being remotely interesting.

The only positive thing I can think about it is that there would be a lot less flailing around to line yourself up to use it, since you're shot in the direction it is facing instead of directly upward. I guess if your level needs it for whatever reason, you could always assemble the spring yourself by editing the already made diagonal springs.
StarmakerJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016   #5022
Zwip-Zwap Zapony
Please just call me Zappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
I believe blue springs in general are considered to be mostly useless,
While that is probably true, there are sprites available for diagonal blue springs, so why not add a diagonal blue spring Thing? An extra Thing won't really do much bad.

Also consider up-side-down springs, especially in Techno Hill Zone-style goop. A yellow spring might be too powerful and send you down too far in a case where a blue spring would be just right, while you can't jump yourself.

(But your argument is still valid, blue springs are pretty useless outside water and such.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
I guess if your level needs it for whatever reason, you could always assemble the spring yourself by editing the already made diagonal springs.
That's true, and I could also make a completely new Thing for it if I wanted (the Map Thing type both right before and right after the diagonal yellow/red springs is un-used), but it'd still be nice to have it vanilla (so I won't have to edit map editor configuration myself for it or look at "missing objects" in the map editor).
Zwip-Zwap Zapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016   #5023
RomioTheBadass
PK3 Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Your objects, by the way, are definitely redundant. Learn to use Linedef Executor sector and Linedef types, there's plenty of resources out there and experimenting won't hurt you.
Not if you wanted to make your maps faster rather than having to deal with each Linedef tag and Sector tag, it's seriously Confusing and tiring , Only making a teleport takes about 4 Minutes or so .

These objects would reduce the time needed to do so , and for several other stuff .
RomioTheBadass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016   #5024
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

To do things that way would require reimplementing the map format, and we're not doing that any time soon. I will repeat my earlier statement: You need to learn to do things the way they are currently implemented, not beg for things to change to be like other source ports.
<MonsterIestyn> watch porm to keep warm
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016   #5025
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

The Elemental Shield protects from damaging slime and lava (which is technically also a special type of water). It also does other things on top of that. What purpose would such a thing have?
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016   #5026
MK.exe
Lazy, Lazy and lazy?

But what about the acid? Can't you just add some resistance to elemental shield so that its able to protect against acid?
MK.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016   #5027
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK.exe View Post
But what about the acid? Can't you just add some resistance to elemental shield so that its able to protect against acid?
Why add resistance to something that is basically water with the instant kill (or perhaps death pit) effect?

Why make a shield significantly more powerful than it is already? (and also capable of breaking maps with Emerald Coast style watery "death pits" if they were made the same way as acid)

Why add resistance to something that isn't even in SRB2's own levels anymore? Mystic himself had acid removed from ERZ2 for a reason. =V

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016   #5028
*icefox*avp*
Or call me Revan

2.2 needs to support 2.1 maps, luas, characters, etc. Really! Porting everytime could be a pain.

Click this link!

THE RICE FIELDS!
*icefox*avp* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016   #5029
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

Too bad, because we've already revamped the character sprite system, the palette, how Lua handles angles, and how polyobjects are set up.

Unless you want these changes to be undone..?
Old 02-08-2016   #5030
*icefox*avp*
Or call me Revan

Quote:
Too bad, because we've already revamped the character sprite system, the palette, how Lua handles angles, and how polyobjects are set up.

Unless you want these changes to be undone..?
no, but it will be boring to port and report for other versions. I don't want to undone new settings but, at least 2.1 luas, maps and others to be supported.

Click this link!

THE RICE FIELDS!
*icefox*avp* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016   #5031
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Turns out that's WAY harder than just changing it. Porting sucks, yes, but there's just no practical way around it unless we don't want to change or add things, ever.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016   #5032
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Frankly it's asking a lot to support 2.1 maps in 2.2, when we've already how polyobjects are set up (as already mentioned), and made setting up the No More Enemies special actually make sense. Both those things alone make it utterly impractical, perhaps impossible, to support 2.1 maps with those features entirely in 2.2 without some changes.

EDIT: oh right, the changes to NME are actually in the "next" branch up on GitLab/GitHub already.

Last edited by Monster Iestyn; 02-08-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2016   #5033
"Lat'"
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

May I ask in what way the character sprite system was changed?
"Lat'" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016   #5034
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

Not pictured: A character's sprite set must end with an S_END marker, even when being followed immediately by another S_SKIN.

(also, sonic is no longer without an S_SKIN, this isn't a perfectly direct comparison so i probably should've picked the sprite ranges for tails or knuckles)

Last edited by toaster; 02-08-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-08-2016   #5035
Zwip-Zwap Zapony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Iestyn View Post
- made setting up the No More Enemies special actually make sense.
...Oh. I was wondering why that special wasn't working for me. :P

Quote:
-Image-
...Wait... Are the sprite frame range thingies now customizable on a per-skin basis without SOCs nor Lua (except S_Skin?), in a similar way to how was once planned (and scrapped) for some old mod? If so... My, that's really something I look forward to (even though I don't even make characters). (So, is it, or did I misinterpret something?)
Old 02-08-2016   #5036
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

You'll need SOC or Lua to add additional animations, but each animation can be any length and animations of zero length will default to other animations. This allows you to test a character with a single STNDA0 frame in your WAD, which will probably lead to a slight surge in rejected sprite rip submissions, but whatever. It's worth it.

(this has been talked about in 'fun before, even before i became a dev - so here's its first mb mention i guess)

Last edited by toaster; 02-08-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2016   #5037
frozenLake

So, does it break netplay this time, like in SRB2RP, or have you managed to find a fix for that?

All joking aside, this seems like a fairly interesting concept... one that will end up giving me multiple headaches in the near future, but if I can use this same method to apply overlays to the characters, it won't really be that way.

Given the expansion on frames, will we be getting ZDoom's extended rotations (9-G) sometime in the "near" future?
frozenLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016   #5038
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomekop View Post
Given the expansion on frames, will we be getting ZDoom's extended rotations (9-G) sometime in the "near" future?
Probably not, to my knowledge. Goodness knows who would even want to sprite all those extra angles if we did add them, lol.

Old 02-08-2016   #5039
Zwip-Zwap Zapony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Iestyn View Post
Goodness knows who would even want to sprite all those extra angles if we did add them, lol.
Well, for big angled scenery (for example the big Eggman statue, sprite ESTA in srb2.srb), especially if rendered in a 3D program (either as the sprite or as a base to make the sprite from), it might be nice. Not for general gameplay objects, though.
Old 02-09-2016   #5040
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Could someone make it so that if player 2's analog mode is set to be on, when they pick the other person up in single player as AI Tails they retain analog control rather than switching to default?
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote