SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 05-20-2015   #4821
Iceman404
Tyler52 Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudkipYeah! View Post
Well it all depends if the game registers Knuckles as "On the ground" and not in the air. While yes it looks like he is on the ground, Im not sure exactly how this game reads if a character in the air or not. Otherwise though I like that idea. Doesn't look too akward, allows for a better way to conserve momentum, and it is efficient in terms of what has to be written. But that does beg the question of how you're gonna go about programming this, since you can't really go by frames and sprites, because I'm pretty sure you use the glide sprites and frames during a slide.
Pretty sure the reason you enter a slide to begin with is because the game knows you're not in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyfaic View Post
Knuckles being forced to stop moving after a glide? Not one of Sonic Team's finest ideas.
Completely disagree. Knuckles in Sonic 3 felt like an extremely different character because of this, it changed his gameplay flow completely. Levels were designed around how he moved, and his get-up/landing animation could be canceled entirely with a spindash. Having him not lose any momentum from a glide would have been really awkward to play with in that game.

Can't say the same for srb2, and its a shame that any SP change ruins match, but oh well

Last edited by Iceman404; 05-20-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Iceman404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015   #4822
RedEnchilada
happy, pretty, lovely!
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudkipYeah! View Post
But that does beg the question of how you're gonna go about programming this
Bitch please. I added slopes to the software renderer. Do you really think an on-ground check is going to thwart me?

Not to mention toaster's right
Old 05-20-2015   #4823
StarmakerJasper
Hey, that's my pudding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubat View Post
Sure, SRB2's spindash method is different from the classics (holding a spin button vs mashing the jump button while crouching), but you still get that speed in about the same amount of time.
Not particularily. I can rev up a spindash very quickly and gain an immense amount of speed if I mash the jump button quicker while charging one up in the classics. In SRB2, it usually takes awhile to reach ludicrous speeds with the spindash since all you can do is hold the button, and the fact you have to go to a standstill and wait roughly three seconds to reach that speed is easily the most prominent reason why a character like Sonic would never need to use it. Even Tails and Knuckles struggle to use it in Match, which is important because it is their only source of speed outside of Super Sneaks. Which is also why I am secretly hinting at a 'please buff spindashing' suggestion.

Quote:
but maybe we should take into account that he's a powerhouse and needs to stick his landings ingame.
what does that mean

I can stick landings very easily as Knuckles in SRB2 without the added lag found in the classics. In fact, it's easier to land in SRB2 and not get punished for it since the removal of the crouching animation allows you to react to ring fire/badniks more effectively (unless you spindash from a landing in the classics; didn't know you could do that). If you're talking visually, I guess I understand that. At the same time, we're still missing Tails swimming sprites so I wouldn't really expect too much.

Last edited by StarmakerJasper; 05-20-2015 at 04:24 PM.
StarmakerJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015   #4824
"Lat'"
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(are we seriously doing all of this for knakles' glide)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEnchilada View Post
What if we just let Knuckles jump out of a slide? Fully, as though it were a normal jump.
Looks like the best idea if you do really plan to make Knuckles lose all his momentum after a glide. I still disagree about implenting it, Knuckles is already too much disadvantaged compared to Tails and Sonic, because of his jump height and the fact that he's painfully slow on climbing walls, making it an easy target, and making glide&climb a perfectly useless ability in gametypes other than Hide and Seek (and maybe Tag.) And no one ever play those! ...Okay maybe few servers running Tag on.

Anyway, another thing I saw...
Mashing the jump button to Spindash would actually make the player unable to cancel it by jumping (Which is the only way to do it in SRB2) and would also require crouching frames (2 if we want an accruate animation)
Would allow to charge the spindash faster tough.
"Lat'" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015   #4825
YevaEA
Christmas is no longer here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper the Fox View Post
what does that mean
I meant that I think Knuckles should feel heavier since he's considered a strong character. I see everybody's point now. It really would change things a lot and not in the best of ways (especially considering match). On the other hand, being able to jump out of a slide sounds great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lat'" View Post
Mashing the jump button to Spindash would actually make the player unable to cancel it by jumping
Then maybe you could press spin again while moving to go into a spindash. Hold spin to crouch, mash jump to charge the spindash, and let go of spin to zoom off. Then while moving, press spin again to go back into running frames (I think I may have suggested this before, but it might not have been on this thread). EDIT: Found it!

Last edited by YevaEA; 05-20-2015 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Added a response to "Lat".
YevaEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #4826
StarmakerJasper
Hey, that's my pudding!

Quote:
Mashing the jump button to Spindash would actually make the player unable to cancel it by jumping (Which is the only way to do it in SRB2) and would also require crouching frames (2 if we want an accruate animation)
Perhaps if the jump button wasn't mashed after intiating a spindash, the spindash itself would slow down (like it normally does in the classics) and will eventually bring the player back to crouching sprites once it gets too slow? I guess the main problem would be that it's not an instantaneous stop, but you could always try to release the spindash earlier for a much slower speed that would be easier to recover from by using abilities.

Quote:
I meant that I think Knuckles should feel heavier since he's considered a strong character. I see everybody's point now.
I still think there's merit to making a character more unique in how they handle and play based on their physique and whatnot, but there has to be some sort of happy medium between what would be considered effective gameplay wise as well. If there was some way to make Knuckles feel heavier and bulky without having it cripple him in every competitive gametype in the game I'd be all for that. ;-;
StarmakerJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015   #4827
Tokyo

I think having a "music soundtrack" as a unlockable would be good.
Tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015   #4828
Sapheros
That guy that ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo View Post
I think having a "music soundtrack" as a unlockable would be good.
Actually I like that idea, maybe I can catch zero ring zone and make a 30 minute extension like Brawlbrstms3... Or I could just use the tunes commands....
Old 05-30-2015   #4829
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

Objects with MF_BOSS don't tend to use extrainfo, right? What if their extrainfo were used to shift the linedef executor tags they use? Of course, this would require some shifting of the tags triggered since they're already up against 65535. This would allow for multiple bosses in the same map, like some sort of gauntlet.

A potential new system would work like this. Their death would be 1000+extrainfo*4, their pinch phase would be 1001+extrainfo*4, their "additional action" would be 1002+extrainfo*4 (drop cage for Eggscalibur, raise pop-up barriers for 2.1 Brak, break middle section for 2.0 Brak), and rising an egg capsule would possibly work at 1003 + extrainfo*4. (That sounds stupid when considered purely as egg capsules, but when you think about opening doors with that tag instead...)

The tag used for all bosses dead does not need to be put into this system but considering the pinch phase tag has changed it would probably be good to shift it along to replace LE_PINCHPHASE.

An additional suggestion would be that boss waypoints are ignored if they don't have the same parameter as the boss attempting to access them, but that's not specifically related to linedef tags.
<MonsterIestyn> watch porm to keep warm

Last edited by toaster; 05-30-2015 at 12:57 PM.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #4830
Learning Lua right now.

Default Additional sprites for looking up and down

Yeah, as the title says, I think it would be pretty cool if there were sprites for when you look up and down. I really don't know if this would be a feature, but 1 use I could come up with was that in Co-op mode online or local, if there was something dangerous over you that someone finds out, other people near would see that person looking up and would look up too to then run away or find out you need to attack. Still though, I highly doubt that this will be a feature. Maybe, just maybe it will, but most likely not. ...I'm also worried that this would be removed as well...or maybe that is a good thing...? ...I'm done.
481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015   #4831
choalover
チャオノコイビト

I think UPNP support should be added.
Old 06-06-2015   #4832
"Lat'"
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I don't know if this is possible but;
would there be a way to make the invincibility / supersneaker music restart from where it should be if it gets interrupted?
If I badly explained this,
I mean that if I get an extra life, it would be good to restart the sneaker music from where it should be instead of the begining, as the music is the primary way to know when the power will end (aside of going to chasecam 0)
"Lat'" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015   #4833
Nekoishi
Is actually

List RedEnchilada and Nev3r in the credits under 'Official Wizards'.

edit
[16:04:53] <MonsterIestyn> https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?p=769270#4834 <-- needs more JTE
http://puu.sh/mtIMI.png

Last edited by Nekoishi; 06-06-2015 at 08:34 PM. Reason: yes
Nekoishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015   #4834
videogamer1014
Playing games since 6
Default Saving After An Act, Not a Zone

Whenever I decide to play good 'ol SRB2, I always see a kink in the saving system that should be improved on. Instead of saving the game at the end of every zone, I would love to see the game save after every act. That way, say you die at ERZ3 right at the end. You are booted back to the title screen, and you go back in. If this was put in, we wouldn't have to start all the way back at ERZ1, and we could start at the beginning of the level we left off in. This would not only make playing that hellish zone more manageable, but it would create less frustrating moments overall.

I have no idea if this can even be done or not because of the way SRB2 is programmed, but if it can be done, it would be a very nice addition to 2.2! If not, It would be completely understood.

Thanks in advance.
videogamer1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015   #4835
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

It's totally possible, sure. That used to be the case for all versions of SRB2 before Version 2.0 even.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015   #4836
Trolo Bobo
Get "N" or get out!

Quote:
I don't know if this is possible but;
would there be a way to make the invincibility / supersneaker music restart from where it should be if it gets interrupted?
If I badly explained this,
I mean that if I get an extra life, it would be good to restart the sneaker music from where it should be instead of the begining, as the music is the primary way to know when the power will end (aside of going to chasecam 0)
That's something I would really like to see too, but I don't think it's possible.
Old 06-07-2015   #4837
Fred
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolo Bobo View Post
That's something I would really like to see too, but I don't think it's possible.
Several ways of doing it, the easiest being making the 1-up jingle a sound effect and temporarily muting the music while it plays. But then again you can still ruin the timing by hitting Escape, which pauses the game in Single Player but doesn't stop the music.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015   #4838
choalover
チャオノコイビト
Default Masterserver Update and NetSynch Lua Hook

I made a merge request that updates the masterserver code. I think the masterserver should get updated to have a better versioning system which is what I've done. Also, I think a lua hook should be added for synching.

Last edited by choalover; 06-09-2015 at 10:17 PM.
choalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015   #4839
Sapheros
That guy that ports

That sounds majorly complicated, and damn near impossible with the current netcode, I'd rather wait for the devs to recreate the netcode for SRB2.
Old 06-09-2015   #4840
choalover
チャオノコイビト

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duon the Adventurer View Post
That sounds majorly complicated, and damn near impossible with the current netcode, I'd rather wait for the devs to recreate the netcode for SRB2.
Yah, the netcode is already broken enough.