SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 12-04-2014   #4621
Iceman404
Tyler52 Forever

You're not using the idea to the best of its ability. What if everyone in the server skips a particular starpost, but then one guy decides to go back and hit the first one when you join? What if the gaps between posts are ridiculously huge? What if there ARE no starposts in a map??

An idea D00D64 came up with in #srb2fun years ago was that dead players would immidietely get the "press F12 to view another player" prompt. Upon pressing respawn, they'd spawn by whoever they were spectating. To make this work for joiners, have them immidietely join the server and get forced into the F12ing state rather than spawn their player object. This all would only work in coop of course.

Upon pressing the respawn button, the game would first check to see if your F12 subject is touching the floor. It'd receive your input but wait on taking you there until its safe to do so; or at least... relatively 'safe'. Not spawning into painful situations like a jackass is really up to the player.

Last edited by Iceman404; 12-04-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Iceman404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014   #4622
TheDoctor

The problem with that is that the player could then simply spectate towards the goal post and spawn right in front of it.
Old 12-04-2014   #4623
Zipper
Soulja boy I tell 'em
Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
The problem with that is that the player could then simply spectate towards the goal post and spawn right in front of it.
Obviously freemoving during spectating would be disabled.
Old 12-04-2014   #4624
Larztard
Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman404 View Post
You're not using the idea to the best of its ability. What if everyone in the server skips a particular starpost, but then one guy decides to go back and hit the first one when you join?
Well the way it could possibly determine this is by looking at the angle of the star post. If a star post has an angle of 720 and one goofball decides to go back and hit the previous star post with an angle of 360, the game could look for a star post with the highest angle that's activated to avoid that problem.
Old 12-04-2014   #4625
Goldenhog
Wandering Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRB2 Wiki
In gametypes other than Race, touching a Star Post will activate all previous Star Posts that were not touched, e.g. touching one with an Angle of 1080 will activate the Star Posts with Angles 0, 360 and 720 as well. In Race, the Star Posts must be touched in order to complete a lap.
So yeah, nobody wouldn't be able to hit any previous checkpoint because the game would already have them as activated.
Goldenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014   #4626
Larztard
Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenhog View Post
So yeah, nobody wouldn't be able to hit any previous checkpoint because the game would already have them as activated.
I totally looked that over. Then I guess there's no problem with the suggestion. The only problem I think now would be the execution.
Old 12-04-2014   #4627
Emi-RoboBlast
Yo, Sonic Is in DaHouse.

Default A Random Suggestion

Can anyone of you make a tutorial about the usage of .cmd?

(PD: I'm new in SRB2).
Emi-RoboBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014   #4628
golteam

Default Mouselook problem in v2.1.12:

I have problems using the mouselook in SRB2win.exe in Software mode my mouse goes left and right not up and down plus the left and right.
Please fix this error.
golteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014   #4629
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by golteam View Post
I have problems using the mouselook in SRB2win.exe in Software mode my mouse goes left and right not up and down plus the left and right.
Please fix this error.
This is a bug report, which you post to this forum here: http://mb.srb2.org/forumdisplay.php?f=97

As it happens this issue may have been reported already, I *think* this may be it?: http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=40040
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014   #4630
Metal96
spaghetti coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi-RoboBlast View Post
Can anyone of you make a tutorial about the usage of .cmd?

(PD: I'm new in SRB2).
  1. I think you're looking for the Help forum.
  2. Always, always check the Wiki first.
Metal96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014   #4631
Jay
I'm lazy, let's face it

How about a variant of the v.drawFill function that fills an area with a tiled texture or patch instead of a solid color? Perhaps scale could be possible with it, too.
acativision shoves out another yearly release for Cape CoD
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014   #4632
Tokyo

Another suggestion: The srb1 bosses should return on the remake. It doesn't feel right without them.
Tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014   #4633
TehRealSalt
Ya Gal Sal Here (σᴥσ)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo View Post
Another suggestion: The srb1 bosses should return on the remake. It doesn't feel right without them.
IIRC, those are planned but no one wants to code them.
Old 12-27-2014   #4634
baba_944

Add a "toggle bwtween Special Stage" options. I never played "Nights Into Dreams" so I can never get use to the new "Special Stages". I much prefer the older "Special Stages" in "Sonic Robo Blast 2".
baba_944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014   #4635
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

The old special stages were merely placeholders. Think about how the special stages worked in the classic games, where they were always a dramatic gameplay change from the main game, often faking 3D and doing as much as possible to be different. The NiGHTS special stages are exactly along those lines, and while I've never played NiGHTS either, eventually I learned how to be good at them just like how it took practice to get good at the special stages in the classics. It's intentional that it takes an entirely different skill set to get good at the special stages.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014   #4636
baba_944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
The old special stages were merely placeholders. Think about how the special stages worked in the classic games, where they were always a dramatic gameplay change from the main game, often faking 3D and doing as much as possible to be different. The NiGHTS special stages are exactly along those lines, and while I've never played NiGHTS either, eventually I learned how to be good at them just like how it took practice to get good at the special stages in the classics. It's intentional that it takes an entirely different skill set to get good at the special stages.
Wow, that's actually pretty cool. I see where you're coming from. I can try to get used to the new "Special Stages".
Old 12-28-2014   #4637
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

I agree that the nights format is better special stage material, but I think the outright removal of the old ones is kind of a waste. Each character's method of traversing through the stages makes for an interesting timed map format, and I think it would be nice to see them return as a timed ring collect-a-thon bonus game, akin to Sonic 1 GG.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014   #4638
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Funny you should mention that. I've spent a lot of time thinking about possibly adding bonus stages to SRB2 and have generally come to the conclusion that it's a bad idea unless we miraculously come up with some gimmick that's genuinely interesting as its own thing.

The main reason is that we don't do in-stage interruption with our special and bonus stages, and that's something I'd really prefer to keep as I think the old interrupting stages thing from S2 and S3K was a detriment to the flow of the game. While special stages have a clear reward that's relevant outside of the special stage, the bonus stages in S3K really didn't. Since we aren't going to use the bonus stage to provide shields or rings that carry back over to the stage you were in, then there's very little relevant to reward the player with. Extra lives? Continues? Most players have little need for such things. While you could go really meta and grant emblems, then there's only motivation to do the bonus stages once and never again.

Hence, any bonus stage design we'd want to implement would have to be a hell of a lot more interesting than our old "rings in a box" special stage design, which only worked because we used them to gate something players actively wanted. When the bonus stages are really only rewarding the fun of playing them, just grabbing rings seems rather mundane.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014   #4639
baba_944

Another question. How can I unlock the level select? I don't want to go on the wiki of fear of getting spoiled. I remember back back in the olden days I had to beat the game (I never unlocked it though).
Old 12-28-2014   #4640
TehRealSalt
Ya Gal Sal Here (σᴥσ)
Developer

I think you just beat the game with all emeralds.

However, beating the game without the emeralds also gives you a level select, but it's only for the file that you beat the game as.