SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Mods

SRB2-The Emerald Isles v. 3.0.6 Details »»
SRB2-The Emerald Isles v. 3.0.6
Developer Last Online: Sep 2017

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (8 votes - 4.63 average)
Released: 06-03-2015 Last Update: Never Installs: 7
Single Player Levels Multiplayer Levels SOCs Scripts Re-Useable Content Sprites/Graphics

Hi, and welcome to my level pack that I originally started back in 2008. It's undergone a number of changes through the years(1.09.4-2.0). This project was originally intended to be something to do for people that were bored with the original game...and for me to learn the ins and outs of level design and learning what does and doesn't work in them while trying to improve on my past attempts each time.

The age of the last level is very apparent, as is actually the oldest level in the level pack up to this point. My first level was Rush Canyon, the second was Aquatic Labyrinth, and the third was Shale Village. As of the last release in 2.0, Shale Village was the oldest level in the pack. I said I was going to update it next in my last thread, and I delivered! Take that, 2008 me!

Speaking of which, if you want to avoid the potential lag cluster of the new Aquatic Labyrinth, you may take the left path out of the boss room in Blaze Canyon 3 and go to the old version of the zone-or if you're just curious/feeling nostalgic.

*update* There are now red/blue paths to take to the end, in case you feel one level is too difficult. No changing your mind if you choose one or the other, though-you have been warned.

There are no emblems in this level pack this time, as I believe that the merit of just playing it should be entertainment enough. That's not to say there aren't unlockables, there just won't be any that revolve around hunting around a massive level that may not allow backtracking.

*update*You may find other surprises in the levels themselves, however...

Comments/suggestions/critique/error reports are welcome as always, as they may very well determine which direction I intend to go in for future levels.

Also included guest times if you're having trouble speedrunning for the unlock.

Asset package used from
http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=35544

Frostburn eggman made by Sapheros.
http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=41965

Download Now

File Type: rar Guesttimes.rar (463.1 KB, 1510 views)
File Type: rar scr_TEI306.rar (22.98 MB, 1176 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20025.png
Views:	2828
Size:	615.8 KB
ID:	6507   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20026.jpg
Views:	2472
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	6508   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20027.jpg
Views:	2352
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	6509   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20028.jpg
Views:	2313
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	6510   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20044.png
Views:	448
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	10678  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 08-22-2016   #62
Prime 2.0
Actually a decent lazy bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
Yeah, you don't see tails/knux only paths too often in levels period. Knux would be easy, but I'm sure I could give it a try with tails too.
I don't even mean character-exclusive paths, necessarily. Those can help, but I was more just describing in general how a room can be designed to be challenging for Tails.
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.
Prime 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016   #63
Chrome
Working on Digital Empire

I feel like I've done you a disservice taking so long to reply. The Emerald Isles was my all-time favorite levelpack in 1.09.4, and to see you taking the effort to bring it back and improve it has me pretty hyped, so let me give you my take on what I like to see in a level.

Levels that really mesh typically have a build up that's represented in both the level geometry and the game-play. Aquatic Labyrinth Act 2 is a good example of this. It starts off in a dark lower corner of the building it takes place in, and about 2/3s of the way through you eventually see daylight and the building from the outside, signaling both a change in game-play and how close you are to the end of the level. It's a small touch, but it can really change the feel of a level.

Well thought out enemy placement is an absolute must in my opinion. Big open rooms with lots of crawlas are rarely enjoyable to move through, because the crawlas break the pace without doing anything interesting to the player besides being there.

Glaber's map in SUGOI Skytop Mountain Zone, is a good example of an open field with enemies done right. Moving close to one causes it to quickly zoom toward your location, so you have to be aware of your surroundings while running fast, AND while exploring. That kind of interaction makes both the enemy and the level a more memorable and enjoyable exprience.

In regards to the character trio. Some consideration should be taken into how easily Tails and Knuckles can just move over things Sonic needs to climb. Rooms with huge walls on the side will result in Knuckles just climbing to the top and skipping over everything if he's given the chance. A level that's only enjoyable as one character (when all 3 are allowed) is not a good one, in my opinion.

If you need an example of a level that tries to give at least Sonic an Knuckles an enjoyable experience, Sand Valley Zone in my level pack, Digital Empire , was made with both of those characters in mind for just about every room. It's a shameless plug, but it's the first example that pops into my head.
Old 09-13-2016   #64
Kuja

Thanks for the reply Chrome. Yes that was kind of the continuity I had going in my head when I made ALZ2; at the time I liked the way that Blaze Canyon 2 worked out, so I tried to emulate it while also making it different.

I made the first act of the new zone with the intention of showing mechanics I'll use in the second act while keeping it relatively easy. The second half of the ice level will use those mechanics again with some more level variation in between sections.

There really weren't a whole lot of enemies to choose from back then, and I had no experience in SOC, so I kinda just filled the levels with blue/red crawlas every 30 feet or so because it was kind of the "thing" to do at the time. You can see an especially egregious example in the last level in some areas. I'll try and keep that in mind moving forward, and I'll probably try and tone the enemies down in other zones.

As for Tails/Knuckles, I have played your mod before(which is amazing, by the way), and I don't believe I ever tried playing it as knuckles before today. That's a pretty clever way to do alternative paths, and I don't think it could have been done in a more apt way.I have some ideas that I was going to try for both of them this time around that was kind of like that, so I do appreciate the inspiration and insight.
Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016   #65
Boo
Spikes The Echidna

Well,I liked about that idea of exclusive character paths.
Good Work Tho!

Actually my goal is to fill every single thread i post in with laughs.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016   #66
Steelie
hakuna matata..?

I hope this thread isn't dead yet, as I've found a bug I find suspicious nobody bothered to report yet.

IIRC the right spring should be a level higher as you can't reach the platforms next to it without it as Sonic.

Also I wanted to ask, why get rid of the old zones? Sure they have their age, but the ability to choose between old and new made this pack quite unique.

My suckish channel for SRB2 (and cats).
Steelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016   #67
MK.exe
Lazy, Lazy and lazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelie View Post
I hope this thread isn't dead yet, as I've found a bug I find suspicious nobody bothered to report yet.

IIRC the right spring should be a level higher as you can't reach the platforms next to it without it as Sonic.

Also I wanted to ask, why get rid of the old zones? Sure they have their age, but the ability to choose between old and new made this pack quite unique.
This has been mentioned recently as a bug. Some fofs dont like objects on them for some reason in 2.1.16
MK.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016   #68
Kuja

Im aware, but I'm not going to make a fix just yet. You'll just have to play it on the older srb2 version for now.

Also, know that I'm still working on this, I'm just taking a lot more time on this one than the other. So the thread isn't dead, only undead.

Edit:To answer the above question, I'm not going to get rid of the old levels entirely. I have an idea that I'm working on that'll make those that want to play the old and new levels happy.

Last edited by Kuja; 10-08-2016 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-08-2016   #69
Sapheros
That guy that ports

While I'm glad of this response Kuja, for the future, please try to make the levels a shit ton less intensive for people, playing in Forgotten Grove can be a struggle because of the framerate. (Though the new Ice level plays really good)
Old 10-09-2016   #70
Steel Titanium

For me, lowering the screen resolution makes Forgotten Grove more playable, As long no heavy Lua scripts are loaded, or it will chug to 2 FPS.
Steel Titanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016   #71
Lilac

Are there still going to be more levels in this?
Lilac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016   #72
Ezer.Arch
ArchPack developer

Kuja *pokes*, I've just fallen through this crack in a FOF, in EIZ2.

Old 01-01-2017   #73
Kuja

I had already fixed that bug, but thanks for pointing it out!
Old 06-06-2017   #74
Kuja

Alright, new version is updated with a new act for zone 5, a slight variance in picking levels, plus some other stuff.
Old 06-06-2017   #75
GreenKnight9000

Quote:
Alright, new version is updated with a new act for zone 5, a slight variance in picking levels, plus some other stuff.
w00t! Can't wait to play
GreenKnight9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017   #76
ProtoBlur
also known as King Proto

Oh wow, I cant wait to try this update! I really like this pack and I cant wait to see what you've added!
ProtoBlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017   #77
TailsFan99

This mod is great and has some very unique zones. But, the game seems like it's designed for one run only because, when I stop the game on the 4th zone, I have to start the game all over again from Emerald Isle Zone. Do you think you can fix this?
TailsFan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017   #78
Kuja

TailsFan89, I could not reproduce your situation. Did you remember to choose a save file before starting?
Old 06-07-2017   #79
TailsFan99

Quote:
TailsFan89, I could not reproduce your situation. Did you remember to choose a save file before starting?
Yes, and every time I quit, it just went back to Emerald Isle Zone. I don't understand why it's doing that.
TailsFan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017   #80
Blaze The Cat
& Knuckles

Well, spectator broke Greeneyes.
Blaze The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017   #81
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

You do know this is the thread for the emerald isles, not greeneyes, right?
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote