SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > SRB2.org > News

Old 11-18-2016   #81
verifiaman
The master of verification.

Will FOF and dynamic slopes be easier to use?
Old 11-18-2016   #82
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

From my experience useing them in Sky Top, I think they're relatively easy now.
glaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016   #83
RomioTheBadass
Right there, Criminal Scum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by verifiaman View Post
Will FOF and dynamic slopes be easier to use?
Aren't they easy enough to work with ?, You just have to slope the FOF Control sector .
Old 11-20-2016   #84
Potatosack
funyn menme

Whoa

...yes

My computer broke down a while ago so I haven't really checked on SRB2 recently, but this is one of the few things that has managed to make me feel something resembling 'Joy'

It's
So
Beautiful

The hype is real.
Potatosack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016   #85
TheCreeperDemon

I really think it would be cool if there were new characters in the update.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreeperDemon View Post
Exotic Butters
TheCreeperDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016   #86
NeonSonik15

Looks awesome. Keep up the great work!
Old 12-02-2016   #87
SANICBOOM644
Blue Hedgehog Acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreeperDemon View Post
I really think it would be cool if there were new characters in the update.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------
In the classic games there were only three, why should there be more in SRB2?
SANICBOOM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016   #88
MightyandRay
These guys for Sonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANICBOOM644 View Post
In the classic games there were only three, why should there be more in SRB2?
Knuckles' Chaotix says hi. On a related note, I REALLY can't stand it when people say "The Classics did/didn't do this, so we should/shouldn't do the same." In my personal opinion, what should be done for the game is up to the game makers, not what some twenty-something year-old games dictate. Homing Attack? Sure, if you want to. Boost? Go ahead, it's your game, as long as it feels right to the game designers.
MightyandRay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016   #89
SANICBOOM644

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyandRay View Post
Knuckles' Chaotix says hi. On a related note, I REALLY can't stand it when people say "The Classics did/didn't do this, so we should/shouldn't do the same." In my personal opinion, what should be done for the game is up to the game makers, not what some twenty-something year-old games dictate. Homing Attack? Sure, if you want to. Boost? Go ahead, it's your game, as long as it feels right to the game designers.
This is part of the reason why there aren't gonna add other characters besides the fact that most of the devs hate modern sonic games. If they truly wanted to go for the classic feel they only needed to implement the main three knowing that the others can be added by mods
Old 12-02-2016   #90
Rob
Administrator

Quote:
On a related note, I REALLY can't stand it when people say "The Classics did/didn't do this, so we should/shouldn't do the same."
While we do take a few creative liberties, we are actively striving to keep the spirit of the game in line with the classic games. The idea behind "the classics did/didn't do this" is to try and keep the game feeling like a classic game.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016   #91
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Quote:
On a related note, I REALLY can't stand it when people say "The Classics did/didn't do this, so we should/shouldn't do the same."
SRB2 is heavily inspired by the classics, intending to replicate their look and feel. What this means isn't that we should only do things that the classics did, but we should ask "Why did the classics do it this way?"

The classics did things they way they did for a reason. It's important to pay attention to the "why" far more than anything else. After all, some of those reasons are things like limitations of the Genesis, or they're honest design mistakes. On the other hand, most of those reasons are sound design, and when they are we try to keep them intact.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016   #92
Puppyfaic
*panting sounds*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
SRB2 is heavily inspired by the classics, intending to replicate their look and feel. What this means isn't that we should only do things that the classics did, but we should ask "Why did the classics do it this way?"

The classics did things they way they did for a reason. It's important to pay attention to the "why" far more than anything else. After all, some of those reasons are things like limitations of the Genesis, or they're honest design mistakes. On the other hand, most of those reasons are sound design, and when they are we try to keep them intact.
So then if I may ask, what reason does "only 3 characters" fall under? I would assume the main reason would be "because level design only gets harder the more characters you have to consider" but I'm curious if the developers have their own reasoning?
Puppyfaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016   #93
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyfaic View Post
So then if I may ask, what reason does "only 3 characters" fall under? I would assume the main reason would be "because level design only gets harder the more characters you have to consider" but I'm curious if the developers have their own reasoning?
You've got the primary one. S3K is honestly brilliant in this regard, thanks to its usage of character-specific paths. Knuckles is frequently forced into his own content entirely, and Tails has a ton of optional paths you can take which often have higher rewards than the standard path. This allows all three characters to have their own content and make playing through the game again as a different character into a very different experience.

We're already spread a bit thin in trying to replicate this, so it would be even harder to make sure every character has content if we had more than three.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016   #94
Arcade Gamer
Acts like a mature adult

The extra characters are best as add-ons.
Arcade Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016   #95
SANICBOOM644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade Gamer View Post
The extra characters are best as add-ons.
I also said that in my post earlier. Characters that aren't necessary or distinguished from the main ones can just be added through mods.
Old 12-03-2016   #96
Ritz
cornstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
You've got the primary one. S3K is honestly brilliant in this regard, thanks to its usage of character-specific paths. Knuckles is frequently forced into his own content entirely, and Tails has a ton of optional paths you can take which often have higher rewards than the standard path. This allows all three characters to have their own content and make playing through the game again as a different character into a very different experience.

We're already spread a bit thin in trying to replicate this, so it would be even harder to make sure every character has content if we had more than three.
I think there's still room for one fourth unlockable character that shares abilities with each of the characters without excelling at any of them. Like, say, Vector- he's got the shoulder bash from Chaotix, so that's a weaker take on Sonic's thok. He climbs slower than Knuckles and can break walls, and then he could just swim in water as an analogue for Tails' flight.

Just saying, it's not like I'm pushing an agenda here or anything-
Old 12-03-2016   #97
Puppyfaic
*panting sounds*

I also think that SRB2 would really benefit from a hidden unlockable fourth character. It has unlockable literally everything else except characters, and that always seemed off to me. The character doesn't have to have its own content or routes, as long as it provides a unique gameplay experience. I'm still incredibly happy that we even have 3 characters with their own content, but a fourth would be the icing on the cake.
Puppyfaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016   #98
Unknownlight

I'd be afraid of adding an unlockable character just because it'd open the door to an unending stream of demands. "WHY HAVEN'T YOU ADDED SHADOW YET?! HE'S SO MUCH BETTER THAN [bonus character]!!"
Unknownlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016   #99
SANICBOOM644

If there was ever a hidden unlockable character it would either be UglyKnux™ SRB2TGF Sonic and/or another version of tails
Old 12-03-2016   #100
Arcade Gamer
Acts like a mature adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANICBOOM644 View Post
If there was ever a hidden unlockable character it would either be UglyKnux™ SRB2TGF Sonic and/or another version of tails
SSN's tails that also can transform into Sonic extreme sonic and sega genesis tails?
Arcade Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote