SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Silver The Hedgehog - 4.1 Details »»
Silver The Hedgehog - 4.1
Developer Last Online: Aug 2017

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (15 votes - 4.67 average)
Released: 04-27-2016 Last Update: 07-04-2017 Installs: 15
Characters Scripts Sprites/Graphics

Nope, you're not dreaming, this one here is not a joke, it's the true and real Silver we've all been waiting for!

So, Silver is as fast as Tails, jumps higher, but cannot damage enemies by jumping on them. But don't worry, he has a bunch of abilities to make up for this!

Most of Silver's abilities require Psy Energy. You can see how much Psy Energy you have under your Rings HUD, in a little blue bar. It is consumed by most of them, it won't refill by itself, you'll have to collect Rings or use PsyCharge (see below in ABILITIES). Some abilities cannot be used if you have less than a fifth of your gauge. It will flash red to indicate you this fact.

Spoiler: Abilities!

Float
Silver can float if you hold jump after using your double jump ability. Nothing too special. It slowly depletes your Psy energy. You are vulnerable while using it, so be careful.

Psycho Boost
While floating, press Spin with more than a fifth of your gauge to enter in Psycho Boost mode! From there, you do not have to hold forward to advance or spin to keep using it. Press forward or backwards to go up and down. Let go the jump button to cancel it. You can start floating again afterwards if you still have Psy Energy. You can hurt enemies and bosses if you touch them during the Boost. Be careful though, it drains Psy Energy a lot faster! You can also destroy breakable walls while using it.

Telekinesis
Telekinesis went through a lot of changes in the latest version, but has never been more effective and easy to use!

All nearby Telekinesis targets have a little blue cross drawn around them, if you press Fire Ring or Fire Normal, up to 4 objects highlighted will be picked up. They will follow you around.
Be aware that for each object you pick up, you will lose a fifth of your Psy Energy.
You can select what object to interact with thanks to the new fancy HUD by using the Match Weapon selection buttons.
Nearby targets you can throw objects on will also have a blue cross on them, just press Fire Ring again to throw the object(s) automatically on the target(s), or throw them where YOU want by using the Fire Normal button instead, use the 3rd person aiming reticle to your advantage, it can be of great help sometimes.
Do remember that getting hurt will make you drop every object you were holding.
You can also press TOSS FLAG to drop any currently held object.
Throwing objects does not cost any Psy Energy.

Also do do note that in Co-Op, players holding TOSS FLAG can be picked up and thrown by Silver.

Psycho Charge

Hold down Spin while standing still to use this ability;
it will refill your Psy Energy, or overcharge it into a burst of energy that knocks every enemy away when you let go off Spin if it was already full. This ability also allows Silver to use Spin activated Platforms, and gives him his Spin height, allowing him to fit through tight spaces.

Slide

Silver can Slide if you run and hit the Spin button. Useful to go under tight spaces. If you slide down a steep enough slope, Silver may gather enough speed to start spinning instead!

Match

Silver cannot make use of any of the weapon rings in RingSlinger gametypes! Instead, he has to make use of his Telekinesis to throw players on walls a-la Sonic 06, or to use his RingSlinger-only ability, Psycho Cut!
Which can be selected with Match Weapon Selection buttons when you are not using Telekinesis. The projectile thrown goes through players and solid objects while still damaging them. You can throw a vertical slice instead of a horizontal one if you press Fire Normal instead of Fire Ring. Do note that these cost Psy Energy, so use them wisely!

MATCH/TAG/CTF/whatever TIPS

AS SILVER

If you are playing as Silver in match, it's generally useless to rush at players who already have seen you from afar, try instead grabbing monitors and ambushing players in tight spaces where they have no chance of escaping them. Grabbing players is generally a double edged sword as they can shoot back at you to free themselves really easily, you can however still use the level geometry to your advantage when grabbing a player to protect yourself from their shots. Keep in mind that only walls will damage players, it's useless to aim the ground or the ceiling, throwing them in any damaging sector / death pit will however award you points. Mind that it is also possible to use players as projectiles against other players.
Be careful of areas with a lot of items scattered around as it may cause you to lose more Psy Energy than intended.

While you do have the ability to Psycho Boost at any time, you should keep it only to escape or access safe areas, as its energy consumption will most likely be your downfall in a fight.

Do remember that you also have Psycho Cut as self defense if you are to be grabbed by another Silver or ever find yourself in a situation where objects are inaccessible and that there are no openings to grab players, they are also extremely useful in cluttered spaces as they go through players, and thus can damage more than one in a single throw.

Finally, keep in mind that your Psy Energy is really limited, you WILL have to back up to find Rings or hide to use PsyCharge safely and recharge it quite often. It's a good idea to use Ring monitors as weapons as they will be able to refill more than what you used to throw them if they land.

AGAINST SILVER

If you are to play against Silver, keep in mind that he cannot do a whole lot to you for as long as you stay outside of his grab range, he will be forced to either back away or to get closer to you by using his abilities, which will leave him without any psy energy to fight you once he reaches up close.
Silver can grab your weapon rings if you're not careful, but cannot protect himself from an endless stream of them, automatics and regular red rings are very effective against him from afar in a constant stream.

Avoid cluttered areas when you know there are Silver players as you will be helpless against any ambush unless you had already anticipated it.

If a Silver player picks you up, you only have approximatively one second to react and hit Silver with any sort of weapon to not get hit yourself or hope he gets hit by anything else. Keep in mind Telekinesis will always move you in front of Silver. Scatter, Grenades and Bomb Rings are extremely effective to break free.

Be aware however that Silver players throw monitors around, and thus, change their position, you will have to adapt to these changes whenever you need to find a power up for yourself. It's a good idea to go pop monitors here and here at the start of a round to force Silver players to resort to their Psycho Cut or easily counter-able Player telekinesis to get an easy upper hand on them

Spoiler: Command Help

COMMAND HELP
Don't forget to actually make use of the commands to your liking;
'locksound' may quickly get annoying in SinglePlayer with the amount of targets and you may want to disable it.
'aimcross' isn't always precise and if you think it might as well not be here, then be it, disable it.
'telekinesistext' displays once telekinesis has picked you up in ringslinger, while helpful it can also be kind of intrusive to certain people, in that case, disable it.
silvervoice I don't know why would you play with this your madman.

All of those commands are saved into config.cfg so you don't have to reinput them each time.

Silver also has a Super Form he can use in Single Player, which negates all Psy Energy cost mentionned in the spoiler above.

I hope you will have as much fun playing it than I had making it

Special Thanks
Speedwagon for the char select and end-of-level sign sprites
STCPhoton for the sliding sprites
Snow for online testing and help with sprites
MotorRoach for testing, advices and fixing the character select pic
Wolfy for the original slide script.
LJ Sonik, Monster Iestyn, toaster, JTE and Inuyasha for a lot of help with the Lua, dumb scripter I am! :)
A good chunk of the Discord Chats I sent the WAD to to get error reports.

All of those who supported me while I was making this. Thank you, I love you all!

Download Now

File Type: rar Silver_41.rar (416.9 KB, 1028 views)

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 05-03-2016   #62
thejoginghedge
Blazicronite in netgames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_the_artificial View Post
Okay, this new update fixed all of my problems with the Sliding mechanic and the Spinjump, and I just noticed how cool and satisfying it is to pull off.

I still get my ass kicked by Metal Sonic though

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

So um, I was playing around in match, and threw a player into another one. And well...

Basically, the Telekinesis completely stopped working, and the run animations broke too, showing a hidden Chara, Tails and Silver Face sprites. It was creepy.
I found more sprites relating to chara. Im not gonna tell them, nor post them though.
thejoginghedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016   #63
MarioBlue

Where's the Skid button? o-o
MarioBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016   #64
Xkower8181
btw do not touch the sonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioBlue View Post
well you skid by going into some direction but in middle in moving you move in oposing direction and then you skid.
Xkower8181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016   #65
Rumia1
worries too much

Oh by the way, Telekinesis is extremely buggy in 2d mode.

I used the 2.0 version of scr_1-1 for this and found that unless I was standing right on top of the other player, I was unable to pick them up. After throwing them on the ground and they died to a goomba, they stuck to the floor rather than falling through it.

The other test I did was done using medpack's Splash Hill and the telekinesis flat out doesn't work and in both levels the slide doesn't work period, though I'm pretty sure this is due to the speed reduction effect for 2d mode levels.
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016   #66
Zwip-Zwap Zapony
Please just call me Zappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioBlue View Post
You don't even need to skid, though. Just hold Spin and move backwards, then you'll slide. (I consider this a bug, and should've reported it when I first found it.) Though it's more effective to go forwards, then hold Spin while pressing backwards.
Zwip-Zwap Zapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016   #67
Zero_the_artificial
A Weavile Enthusiast

So I want to talk about how amazing the Slide is

Also it is able to change directions while doing a... Stair-Slide...?

Real talk now, I was just playing around with the Slide on Emerald Islands and found this lil' glitch. I literally spent minutes there doing it over, and over and over again.
Even though this is hilarious, I think these should be looked up.
Old 05-05-2016   #68
Fres
BOI IF YOU DON'T-

Quote:
That stair slide sort of reminds me of the backwards long jump glitch from Super Mario 64/DS. (Coincidentally, these both involve stairs.

Spoiler: Gif I found in 10 secs

But yeah, I agree this should be looked into.
Fres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016   #69
STHE123O
Little Monster

Amazing as expected! the abilities are really fun and the sprites are just perfect. Love the run animations. You are one of the best at making characters on the MB!
STHE123O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016   #70
Zero_the_artificial
A Weavile Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fres View Post
That stair slide sort of reminds me of the backwards long jump glitch from Super Mario 64/DS. (Coincidentally, these both involve stairs.

Spoiler: Gif I found in 10 secs

But yeah, I agree this should be looked into.
Okay you win, that was much better. Maybe this was intentional? Now we need a Speedrun Glitch with Silver.

I think that the issue comes from the Slide itself being technically a boost in disguise, you can even walk backwards while holding spin and see the magic happen. This is really fun to do though, and as Silver, you're most likely on the air than on the ground. Though sliding and jumping in succession like a total badass is way too fun.

...Then I fall into a pit because I forgot you can't use Telekinesis while being a spinball.
Old 05-05-2016   #71
Octavio The HedgeFox
Gone.

Wow, Lat'. You make the best .wads ever! also, i just registered now. 05/05/16. my first comment! :D
Octavio The HedgeFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016   #72
TripleT

I want to try this so bad but unfortunately this came out right when I moved to another state with no computer. From what I read it seems really cool character wad there.
TripleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016   #73
frozenLake

I found something, that isn't necessarily a glitch, but could potentially be one?

To find it, walk up to a ledge. Yeah.
I don't think it causes any glitches gameplay wise, but it is somewhat interesting graphically.
frozenLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016   #74
Speedwagon
likes to assault raccoons
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomekop View Post
I found something, that isn't necessarily a glitch, but could potentially be one?

To find it, walk up to a ledge. Yeah.
I don't think it causes any glitches gameplay wise, but it is somewhat interesting graphically.
Intentional. When silver is on the ledge, he keeps himself up through telekinesis.

Spoiler:
this still rustles me
Speedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016   #75
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

* Enemies can get too close to Silver while held by telekinesis, which harms him. Most commonly happens when enemies are grabbed at close range, or the player turns 180 degrees with mouse controls. You need to add a check that prevents held objects from coming within a certain distance of Silver.
* Telekinesis will not grab certain enemies, like snailer and jettisyn
* Slide will execute any time Silver is moving backward. This results in me sliding a lot of times when I don't want to, due to the fact that I am backpedalling while trying to grab enemy fire.
* Silver's death scream just isn't doing it for me.

The rest is good. Psycho boost is a pretty neat ability, and the spritework is terrific. I am a little disappointed that I can't grab things while in midair, and the slide mechanics are more obnoxious than helpful in their current form.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016   #76
Zwip-Zwap Zapony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
Intentional. When silver is on the ledge, he keeps himself up through telekinesis.
Yes, but some times (not nearly every time, just occasionally) he keeps levitating when walking back onto ground and walking/running around. I've experienced this multiple times.
Old 05-06-2016   #77
"Lat'"
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumia1 View Post
Oh by the way, Telekinesis is extremely buggy in 2d mode.

I used the 2.0 version of scr_1-1 for this and found that unless I was standing right on top of the other player, I was unable to pick them up. After throwing them on the ground and they died to a goomba, they stuck to the floor rather than falling through it.

The other test I did was done using medpack's Splash Hill and the telekinesis flat out doesn't work and in both levels the slide doesn't work period, though I'm pretty sure this is due to the speed reduction effect for 2d mode levels.
I actually looked into the script to attempt to fix it, but I have absolutely no idea what even goes wrong with 2D. On the bright side, not many levels use it.

Quote:
So I want to talk about how amazing the Slide is
-stairslide gif-
Real talk now, I was just playing around with the Slide on Emerald Islands and found this lil' glitch. I literally spent minutes there doing it over, and over and over again.
Even though this is hilarious, I think these should be looked up.
For some reasons the game was considering the speed was too low when clipping up a small floor. Is fixed for the next patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBW View Post
* Enemies can get too close to Silver while held by telekinesis, which harms him. Most commonly happens when enemies are grabbed at close range, or the player turns 180 degrees with mouse controls. You need to add a check that prevents held objects from coming within a certain distance of Silver.
The first thing was already added for the next release, items will float at a minimal distance of 320*FRACUNIT. However, I can't do much for the 180 degrees turn with how it's handled so far. Besides, it kinda is your responsibility if you hold a harmful thing with Telekinesis to make sure it doesn't go in your way, they're still enemies, after all.

Quote:
* Telekinesis will not grab certain enemies, like snailer and jettisyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lat'" View Post
-Flying enemies can not be picked up anymore due to their inability of being thrown
Intentionnal, the way wall collision check is handled made flying enemies be instantly killed upon thrown, since their thrust was overwriting the throw's.
I'll try to make it work for further releases, even though this isn't any of the priority right now :S

Quote:
* Slide will execute any time Silver is moving backward. This results in me sliding a lot of times when I don't want to, due to the fact that I am backpedalling while trying to grab enemy fire.
Fixed for next patch.

Quote:
* Silver's death scream just isn't doing it for me.
But it just has a 2% chance of playing :c

Quote:
I am a little disappointed that I can't grab things while in midair
At the time I made Telekinesis, you could still jump on enemies, so I wanted some sorta balance. But now, I think it's time to remove the PF_JUMPED flag check from the Telekinesis requirements. :P

Quote:
and the slide mechanics are more obnoxious than helpful in their current form.
The backwards slide must've been a pain to deal with in the situations you were in, I assume. Besides, Slide's main purpose is going under things, it's not meant to be useful outside of that.

Oh, by the way, next update isn't only about fixes.

Spoiler: Sprite

I would actually like to know if you guys preferred for me to let Super Silver use spinjump default or make him use these frames now that I'm making them.
"Lat'" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016   #78
Zwip-Zwap Zapony

Quote:
-Image- I would actually like to know if you guys preferred for me to let Super Silver use spinjump default or make him use these frames now that I'm making them.
Non-Super Silver doesn't spin-jump by default. Why should Super Silver? (The sprite looks nice so far, by the way.)
Old 05-06-2016   #79
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
However, I can't do much for the 180 degrees turn with how it's handled so far. Besides, it kinda is your responsibility if you hold a harmful thing with Telekinesis to make sure it doesn't go in your way, they're still enemies, after all.
If it's beyond your control, fair enough. I think I should point out that "it's your responsibility" borders along "it's a feature, not a bug" as an excuse for bad design. Intuitively, enemies under telekinesis should be neutralized, not dangerous.

Quote:
Intentionnal, the way wall collision check is handled made flying enemies be instantly killed upon thrown, since their thrust was overwriting the throw's.
I'll try to make it work for further releases, even though this isn't any of the priority right now :S
Ah, that sucks. Maybe you could make telekinesis replace them with dummy objects as kind of a shortcut around the issue.

Quote:
But it just has a 2% chance of playing :c
Yeah, somehow I heard it the very first time I died playing the game, so that may have affected my bias. lol

Quote:
The backwards slide must've been a pain to deal with in the situations you were in, I assume. Besides, Slide's main purpose is going under things, it's not meant to be useful outside of that.
Yeah, I figured backpedal into slide wasn't intentional. Try going up against someone like Brak, who has a lot of projectiles and requires some circlestrafing, and that will kind of give you an idea of where it becomes intrusive.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016   #80
Zero_the_artificial
A Weavile Enthusiast

Quote:
Oh, by the way, next update isn't only about fixes.

Spoiler: Sprite

I would actually like to know if you guys preferred for me to let Super Silver use spinjump default or make him use these frames now that I'm making them.
Yes, do make the sprites. Can you also make Sliding sprites for him? It's kinda awkward to slide with Super Silver's upward quills turning downward quills... A nitpick, but it's kind of annoying imo.
Old 05-07-2016   #81
"Lat'"
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Default In my way.

So, with some hacky way that sets flying enemies into a dummy state that uses the power of Lua to retrieve the good sprite and frame, you will be able to do this!

1.1.1 (or as I like to call it, 1.1.65536) will hopefully (don't count on it) be the last patch, some friends and I are often running beta tests to have the maximum error output possible so I can adapt the Lua to it. It may take some time, but I'm really doing my best with the little of motivation I have left for this when I'm not eating chocolate instead of doing something relevant.
"Lat'" is offline   Reply With Quote