SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > Outdated Releases (0.X & 1.X) > Outdated Official Level Design Contest (0.X & 1.X)

Old 03-06-2009   #41
darkbob1713
I hate this username :(

Excuse me, my map was entered in the contest and its not in the wad or the topic. I sent Furious Fox a PM almost a week ago and still dont have any kind of explination. CAN SOMBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED? Thx.
<SirCoat> what does that have to do with you hangouting
<SirCoat> ...
<Streakster The Fox> um this is a hangout
Old 03-06-2009   #42
Chaos Zero 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousFox
Submissions are to be sent to my e-mail at FuriousFox@gmail.com.
If he accepts entries sent by a PM, then I guess he forgot to check for them. Maybe he only took whatever was in his gmail account for the contest pack.
Your and You're. Learn the difference.
Old 03-06-2009   #43
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

The contest has never used forum PMs for entries, always e-mail. The reason is so people can actually use attachments instead of horrid free file hosting.
Old 03-07-2009   #44
darkbob1713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic
The contest has never used forum PMs for entries, always e-mail. The reason is so people can actually use attachments instead of horrid free file hosting.
I did email him.
<SirCoat> ...
Old 03-07-2009   #45
Jellybones
Lawful Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbob1713
Quote:
I did email him.
You said PM, but whatever.
I'm sure the map can be rejected if FF considers bad/unplayable, etc. Or there was a small chance he didn't see it.
Old 03-07-2009   #46
Hyperknux
The board's UK Ecologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybones69
Quote:
Quote:
I did email him.
I'm sure the map can be rejected if FF considers bad/unplayable, etc. Or there was a small chance he didn't see it.
It wouldn't be rejected if it was bad, although you may get a low score for it, but if it's unplayable then yes it would get rejected.
Old 03-07-2009   #47
darkbob1713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperknux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybones69
Quote:
Quote:
I did email him.
It wouldn't be rejected if it was bad, although you may get a low score for it, but if it's unplayable then yes it would get rejected.
It is playable.
Mabye the email went into his SPAM folder or somthing.

EDIT: Jellybones69: I meant I PMed him about the problem.

EDIT2: Here are some screenies, so you guys know whatmy level actually is:

FORT BOWSER:

(CTF)

Red base:

Prisoner cage:

Bowser, protecting his throne room:

The throne room:

The main area:
<SirCoat> ...
Old 03-07-2009   #48
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

Looks like a neat level.
Old 03-07-2009   #49
Kuja

New Super Mario Zone-3/10
Sapphire Coast Zone-8/10
North Pole Factory Zone-8/10
Mr. E Special Stage-1/10

If you have any questions about your respective scores, feel free to PM me.

And to Callum, NO this is not a score summary. And MattW_CFI, YES these are my votes.
Old 03-07-2009   #50
Callum
Don't bug me about ports
Developer

Um, only administrators can give contest results. >_>

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. I thought that the deadline was March 7, hence this post....

Nintendo 3DS: 4725-7969-6387
Old 03-07-2009   #51
犬夜叉
aka: Inuyasha
Administrator

Callum: I'm pretty darn certain that's his votes, not his interpretation of the results.

darkbob1713: I remember FF mentioning something about a lot of e-mails he received for this contest having no attachments. If you know you sent an e-mail to him, that's probably the reason.

Anyways, I'm in a crazy rush here, so I'll keep things brief.

Match _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Boringe by SonicMaster _ 5/10
I dislike point-giving gimmicks like that, sorry. The level design is semi-good, but did you need to place every single bomb ring in a complete dead-end?

Toxic Plant Zone by HyperKnux _ 6/10
You might creep out claustrophobics here, ya know. ;P
Yeah, it's ... tiny. Works somewhat well for a small netgame, but I can see how this would be hell for a larger game.

Rook's Valley Zone by Drake Spyker _ 7/10
First thing I said in the netgame I was in: "Auto-Rail. I can hear Glaber complaining already."
Despite that (I don't personally mind Auto-Rail), it works pretty well. A few design choices here and there that I don't like, and the design seems a bit cramped (not as much as the last map, but still) but aside from that... yeah.

Destiny Islands by Darkness Claw _ 0/10
Er, NO. Completely, utterly unplayable due to the insane lag. Seriously, detail is good, but this is OVERKILL.

Castle de Space by Space K. Green _ 6/10
Confusing, at first, and huge, no doubt. Probably works well for 10+ player netgames, but those are rarely seen anymore.

CTF _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Holding out on voting on these because a three-player netgame doesn't really give me a good idea of how these maps really play. Unfortunately.

Circuit _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Heavenly Fountain Zone by SonicMaster _ 5/10
Me, Kitsune, and Chaos_Knux had an lol of a time trying to play this without the asset pack, that's for sure! ;P
But, yeah, you went a bit too far with balancing things and made it quite difficult for Sonic to get far ahead of Tails.
The waterfall ending was a bit interesting, though.

Aqueduct Circuit Zone by Ezer.Arch _ 7/10
Heh, this seems pretty nice. It's a semi-thokfest, but there are some nice obstacles to throw off people just blindly rushing through.
Old 03-07-2009   #52
Rob
Administrator

darkbob1713, FF mentioned when he was putting together the contest pack that he got a lot of emails with no attachments. Yours is probably one of those. It happens. Just keep the map on hand until the next contest and make sure you attach it.
Old 03-07-2009   #53
darkbob1713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
darkbob1713, FF mentioned when he was putting together the contest pack that he got a lot of emails with no attachments. Yours is probably one of those. It happens. Just keep the map on hand until the next contest and make sure you attach it.
I might of forgot, but I'm pretty shure I did. Just one question remains: Will I wait for next contest, or will my horrible impatience overcome me and make me post the level in the releases? =P
<SirCoat> ...
Old 03-07-2009   #54
Blade
ANNIHILATE.
Developer

Gonna keep this brief.

New Super Mario Zone - 2/10
Last time, we had a good 2d map. This month, we have a bad one. I did not like going in circles at the start just to get a switch.

North Pole Factory Zone - 5/10
Eh, just like how most people found my map, this felt average to me.

Mr. E Special Stage - 2/10
Ew, Special Stage. Bearly enough rings to clear the level. Needs more rings.

Sapphire Coast act 2 - awesome
Second act of a first zone. Glad most people liked the Springy-Shells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawfulfan
Linedef Type 451 - Linedef Executor: Make Level 20% Cooler!
Quote:
Blade was hit by Inuyasha.
<Blade> osuwari
Inuyasha is no longer super.
Old 03-07-2009   #55
Ezer.Arch
ArchPack developer

Quote:
I might of forgot, but I'm pretty sure I did. Just one question remains: Will I wait for next contest, or will my horrible impatience overcome me and make me post the level in the releases? =P
Keep your map until next contest. While next contest doesn't arrive, you could go making other map. :)
Old 03-07-2009   #56
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
I might of forgot, but I'm pretty shure I did. Just one question remains: Will I wait for next contest, or will my horrible impatience overcome me and make me post the level in the releases? =P
Well, you could take the time to improve on it while you're waiting for the next map to come up.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
Old 03-08-2009   #57
Jellybones
Lawful Neutral

Based on people's scores, Space Base Zone seems either somewhat decent or just uninteresting. And since I'm using this map for my multiplayer mod, I want to know, what could I do to improve my level?
Old 03-08-2009   #58
Ice
Pretty chill guy

Scrap it, start over. You can use the same concept though, it's not a bad one. I think that you should not make the bases connected, rather, have two separate bases with asteroids in between them. I also think that making the bases bigger would be really good. And......yea. I can't really give you more than that without forcing my level designing techniques on you.
Old 03-08-2009   #59
Jellybones
Lawful Neutral

Start from scratch? I think I can fix what you said was wrong without having to do it over. The bases are only "connected" because of a glitch in the sky, otherwise I would have just had the normal sky there instead of it being one big base. As for making the team bases larger, I think I know where you are talking about.
Old 03-08-2009   #60
Kuja

Jellybones, from what I've played of it...I can say that it could definitely use some work with those wonky springs. Some of them don't really carry you the entire way, while others make you slam your head directly into the invisible ceiling. Also, there seems to only be one path between the two bases, and it involves hopping across rocks to get from one side to the other. Might I suggest adding a few other ways to get across? I would imagine that it would be frusturating to play in a laggy netgame, and the player would be forced to platform the entire way across to the other base(with people shooting at you, no less!), with nothing but a gaping death pit awaiting them should they make the tiniest mistake. Nimbus Ruins has this same problem, though I guess it was intended to be that way.

In short, it was rather simple. Metal Star simple. There was virtually nowhere to hide/run to/traverse. Those springs that lead to the roof? build something else up there, and expand the area. If you took the time to make at least ONE other path to take to the other side, and I'd have given you a 6/10 on this. But it could definitely be made to be a lot smoother.