[Open Assets] SRB2-The Emerald Isles v. 3.0.7

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you don't see tails/knux only paths too often in levels period. Knux would be easy, but I'm sure I could give it a try with tails too.
I don't even mean character-exclusive paths, necessarily. Those can help, but I was more just describing in general how a room can be designed to be challenging for Tails.

I feel like I've done you a disservice taking so long to reply. The Emerald Isles was my all-time favorite levelpack in 1.09.4, and to see you taking the effort to bring it back and improve it has me pretty hyped, so let me give you my take on what I like to see in a level.

Levels that really mesh typically have a build up that's represented in both the level geometry and the game-play. Aquatic Labyrinth Act 2 is a good example of this. It starts off in a dark lower corner of the building it takes place in, and about 2/3s of the way through you eventually see daylight and the building from the outside, signaling both a change in game-play and how close you are to the end of the level. It's a small touch, but it can really change the feel of a level.

Well thought out enemy placement is an absolute must in my opinion. Big open rooms with lots of crawlas are rarely enjoyable to move through, because the crawlas break the pace without doing anything interesting to the player besides being there.

Glaber's map in SUGOI Skytop Mountain Zone, is a good example of an open field with enemies done right. Moving close to one causes it to quickly zoom toward your location, so you have to be aware of your surroundings while running fast, AND while exploring. That kind of interaction makes both the enemy and the level a more memorable and enjoyable exprience.

In regards to the character trio. Some consideration should be taken into how easily Tails and Knuckles can just move over things Sonic needs to climb. Rooms with huge walls on the side will result in Knuckles just climbing to the top and skipping over everything if he's given the chance. A level that's only enjoyable as one character (when all 3 are allowed) is not a good one, in my opinion.

If you need an example of a level that tries to give at least Sonic an Knuckles an enjoyable experience, Sand Valley Zone in my level pack, Digital Empire , was made with both of those characters in mind for just about every room. It's a shameless plug, but it's the first example that pops into my head.

Thanks for the reply Chrome. Yes that was kind of the continuity I had going in my head when I made ALZ2; at the time I liked the way that Blaze Canyon 2 worked out, so I tried to emulate it while also making it different.

I made the first act of the new zone with the intention of showing mechanics I'll use in the second act while keeping it relatively easy. The second half of the ice level will use those mechanics again with some more level variation in between sections.

There really weren't a whole lot of enemies to choose from back then, and I had no experience in SOC, so I kinda just filled the levels with blue/red crawlas every 30 feet or so because it was kind of the "thing" to do at the time. You can see an especially egregious example in the last level in some areas. I'll try and keep that in mind moving forward, and I'll probably try and tone the enemies down in other zones.

As for Tails/Knuckles, I have played your mod before(which is amazing, by the way), and I don't believe I ever tried playing it as knuckles before today. That's a pretty clever way to do alternative paths, and I don't think it could have been done in a more apt way.I have some ideas that I was going to try for both of them this time around that was kind of like that, so I do appreciate the inspiration and insight.

I hope this thread isn't dead yet, as I've found a bug I find suspicious nobody bothered to report yet.

15p5rhi.jpg

IIRC the right spring should be a level higher as you can't reach the platforms next to it without it as Sonic.

Also I wanted to ask, why get rid of the old zones? Sure they have their age, but the ability to choose between old and new made this pack quite unique.

I hope this thread isn't dead yet, as I've found a bug I find suspicious nobody bothered to report yet.

15p5rhi.jpg

IIRC the right spring should be a level higher as you can't reach the platforms next to it without it as Sonic.

Also I wanted to ask, why get rid of the old zones? Sure they have their age, but the ability to choose between old and new made this pack quite unique.

This has been mentioned recently as a bug. Some fofs dont like objects on them for some reason in 2.1.16

Im aware, but I'm not going to make a fix just yet. You'll just have to play it on the older srb2 version for now.

Also, know that I'm still working on this, I'm just taking a lot more time on this one than the other. So the thread isn't dead, only undead.

Edit:To answer the above question, I'm not going to get rid of the old levels entirely. I have an idea that I'm working on that'll make those that want to play the old and new levels happy.

Last edited:
While I'm glad of this response Kuja, for the future, please try to make the levels a shit ton less intensive for people, playing in Forgotten Grove can be a struggle because of the framerate. (Though the new Ice level plays really good)

For me, lowering the screen resolution makes Forgotten Grove more playable, As long no heavy Lua scripts are loaded, or it will chug to 2 FPS.

Alright, new version is updated with a new act for zone 5, a slight variance in picking levels, plus some other stuff.

This mod is great and has some very unique zones. But, the game seems like it's designed for one run only because, when I stop the game on the 4th zone, I have to start the game all over again from Emerald Isle Zone. Do you think you can fix this?

TailsFan89, I could not reproduce your situation. Did you remember to choose a save file before starting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back