Blender the 3D modeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanHedge

Well I decided to give another shot to working with 3D models. I had a hard time looking for a 3D modeling and sence program, than I came accross this little gem known as Blender. It's an open sourece 3D modeling program for all OSes that has nice documentation on how to use it. I already done some of the tutorials and enjoyed using this program. I figered that as time comes people will want to make the characters 3D models instead of 3D sprites in SRB2 so here's the link and the rest of this topic just to talk about 3d modeling and things that people have done with 3DM programs.

http://www.blender.org/cms/Home.2.0.html
If anyone wants to get the program and try themselves heres the link.

I guess I should add an image of the basic model you can make through the tutorial.
SHuman.png

It's not fancy but I made it in a couple of huors of reading the tutorial and for being one of my first models in 3 years it isn't half bad.

Kudos on actually using Blender, I gave it about 5 minutes and was too confused with it so I went back to Milkshape.

I checked milkshake out it's promising but I didn't know if you could biuld real scences with it. The fact that it's made for modding FPSes is really nice. But I like Blender more and hoping to implament thing into a game someday.

Draykon, Wings is, like, the easiest modeler out there. It's a shame it can't animate though.

I found Wings to be incredibly confusing, personally. Probably because everything is done with the middle click and right click on the mouse. I hate that. Visual menus FTW!

Well wings weren't part of this tutorial and I could make them. Plus this does animate and it's a 3D game engine...But I have other plans for this modeling software. There are so many tutorials I can't pick where to start!

I have Blender...I just can't figure out how to use it. I know how to place things in it and make the camera into 3d mode and fly around...but that's about it. So...I went to Game Maker.

Wings 3d????

I also have Game Maker. But I'm waiting for the book to come out so I know how to use every piece of it.

And what is wings 3D?

Eh? Game Maker book? Isn't the included help file good enough?

And if you want to do serious 3D, I suggest using something other than Game Maker. DarkBASIC Pro, perhaps?

Meh, I've had Blender for a while. I used to use a bunch of CAD programs, and Blender's whole interface reminded me too much of that hell, so I use Poser instead. It's much better in my opinion...

Well SRB2 is where I'm playing around with 3D and gamemaker only for 2d stuff and yes they are making a book that's better than the manual.

It took forever for me to figure out what was wrong with my graphics card, so I got used to Wings, as it's the only decent 3D program that wouldn't crash my computer. It's lack of an animation feature is rather annoying, but I rather like it.

Sorry to bump this up, but I'm having a problem. I added a sphere to my scene, but now I can't select the rest of my scene, just stuff on the sphere. What do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back