[Open Assets] Jetty-Syn Proto V2.1.1 - Back for more! (Updated 9/7/2017)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I might bring it back eventually. It just became redundant with my powerup system and it would have required more work on my part to make it function in tandem.

EDIT: Actually, I think I have an idea for it, just give me an extra hour and I should have it returned along with the hotfix

Last edited:
Thanks for waiting -- this ended up being a bit more than a hotfix.

2.1 Change Log

Feature:
* Changed timer pickup -- instead of setting back the ambush counter, it will freeze/prevent the timer from moving forward for an additional 30 seconds
* Changed hyper fuel pickup -- instead of adding fuel, it will grant the player unlimited jet power for a limited time
* Fire Flower Proto returns as a temporary powerup, the Fire Adrenaline Rush (with quadruple the normal firepower!)

Maintenance:
* Optimized/improved compatibility with SUBARASHII

Balance:
* Random encounter frequency formula modified (30+15n -> 60 + 10n) (In other words, your first ambush will appear roughly 60 seconds in rather than 30. The formula will even out on the sixth ambush, at about 1:50 minutes after the previous ambush)
* Slightly raised encounter difficulty progression

Bugfixes:
* Fixed other skins using Proto's HP system
* Fixed proto_encounters 2 not working properly in console

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

Quick reupload, needed to fix a couple blunders I just made.

2.1.1 Change Log
Bugfixes:
* Fixed red alarm displaying the wrong HUD graphic
* Fixed blue alarm showing up in some situations where encounters are disabled

I can't download it anymore. It only goes to the "Invalid Attachment specified" page. Can you fix it or make a mirror?

Man, I totally regret waiting as long as I did to use this. It took my a few moments to get used to the controls, but I love the hud. Especially the score/times/rings. I haven't been attacked by the warp squad yet, but it seems like it'll prove interesting like the rest of this.

Edit: Nvm, just got attacked. It was a bit difficult, but definitely fun nonetheless.

Last edited:
Proto often (as in, everytime so far except once) passes through metal sonic, making it extremely difficult to hit him.

Proto often (as in, everytime so far except once) passes through metal sonic, making it extremely difficult to hit him.

Did you try dashing into Metal Sonic? That is currently the only way to hit him when he's non-dizzy, due to his behavior being hard-coded.

Yeah, it's very difficult to make that fight fair due to the fact that Metal Sonic usually ignores collision with any object that isn't in spin/jump state. In the future I might try to find a workaround.

I'm going to guess that you refuse to take inspiration from Rosy's coding because that was made to ignore the monitor's hitbox as well. I guess I can understand that for sure.

Though I have noticed something strange with Proto. How come his HUD script goes completely bonkers when you're not him in Boss Mayhem? I mean I know it's genuinely my fault because the script I had was botched enough for one stage in the mod but still, what's the cause?

Though I have noticed something strange with Proto. How come his HUD script goes completely bonkers when you're not him in Boss Mayhem? I mean I know it's genuinely my fault because the script I had was botched enough for one stage in the mod but still, what's the cause?

No idea, I haven't tried what you're suggesting. I'd have to reproduce the bug for myself.

i think the match weapons could change the style how his shots are and how the speed and other things are too

I thought something similar to that, but the needed time and effort held me back from implementing anything of the sort. Also, I never, ever play Match and CTF, so even if I knew how I wanted to code and design such a system, I'd be hopeless at balancing it unless I had a lot of feedback from playtesters. The popgun as a weapon isn't well suited for deathmatch in the first place, which is why I decided to give him standard ringslinger mechanics, with monitor-sniping as an added perk to make him a little more competitive.

If I were to give him popgun upgrades, though, chances are I would give them to him in Single Player as well. Food for thought, I guess.

Last edited:
Random Meme (why im doing this?)

Im am Proto your security is my MOTTO. Uninstall me in your computer! to protect your data better.

I was thinking of revisiting this project some time soon. I wasn't able to get a lot of feedback on my last major update, so I'd like to know what you guys think about the gameplay mechanics currently in place for the character, and also if the following bullets sound any good to you.

• One thing I would like to do is try to condense the gameplay mechanics a little bit. For instance, I'm wondering if it would be better to use rings to replenish fuel or health, eliminating certain variables and item pickups in the process. By doing this, I'm hoping it will be easier to work Proto within certain maps and game modes (esp. Match and CTF, which currently forces me to strip Proto of most of his mechanics).
  • On the subject of Match and CTF: I'm interested in making Proto operate much in the same way he does in SP/Coop, which would be a radical shift in his meta. It would mean Proto using vastly different projectiles from the other characters, and also having completely different health mechanics. I don't play multiplayer, so I would need a lot of feedback in order to balance him correctly.
  • I feel like the "rush" system was a pretty good way of divvying up the pacing, but I'd still like to diversify the core gameplay a little more. I'm considering trying to give him more projectiles in some form. An idea I had was to modify his projectile properties based on what shield Proto was carrying (e.g. elemental shield lets Proto shoot bouncy projectiles, Armageddon allows for missiles with splash, etc.). Perhaps this could also carry over to deathmatch game modes, but I haven't thought it all the way through yet.
  • How do you guys feel about the current enemy warp ambushes? I was wondering if it would be more appropriate to make them situational; for instance, maybe they only start showing up in the level once Proto collects an emerald token.
  • I'd also like to add more enemy types -- in particular, tougher variants of ground enemies like the crawla or face stabber -- that would have a small chance of replacing an enemy already placed inside the map. Proto was ultimately made for combat, and I want to capitalize on that wherever possible.

Real life is slowly killing me, so I can't really make any promises on if/when I'll pull any of this out of my ass. But yeah, if there's enough interest, maybe I'll come out with something kinda neato around the time 2.2 comes out. Whenever that is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back