[Open Assets] Jetty-Syn Proto V2.1.1 - Back for more! (Updated 9/7/2017)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
- Bullets will follow an axis in Axis2D levels

Tested with Clock Towers, its still broken. Then again, if its an update that works specifically with a later version of Axis2D that isn't in clock towers, I could understand.

Otherwise, I like the changes, but part of me wishes that the ball form had less friction, so it could take more advantage from speed pads for example.

Also, to those interested in that sort of thing: Proto can beat SRB2 Heroes version of Rail Station, but only because they can make a long jump to bypass the power character only section. Maybe give the boost ball knuckles level breaking, to add compatibility with those sorts of things? I know, its probably a bit much to ask, as this is the only level pack where it is required for completion, but it might be nice to have for exploration in other packs?

Maybe if there were multiple charge levels for the boost ball...

Last edited:
Found two bugs: sometimes, if you jump upwards through a clippable downward moving FOF, you will rocket into the air, and if you die in morph ball form, your death sprite will be much smaller.

This is insanely good props, but is it compatible with match modes? EDIT: It does, DOPE!

Last edited:
To be honest, I was perfectly fine with it being the spin button. I dislike having to change my keyboard controls just to get used to a character.

I will look further into customizable controls. If I'm unable to do anything extensive, I'll at least add "classic" controls as an option.

Tested with Clock Towers, its still broken. Then again, if its an update that works specifically with a later version of Axis2D that isn't in clock towers, I could understand.

At the time I was only using the Axis2D Example for testing. The problem may be that the bullet is hitting walls and thus getting destroyed prematurely. I'll look into this.

Otherwise, I like the changes, but part of me wishes that the ball form had less friction, so it could take more advantage from speed pads for example.

That, I can probably do. I'll play around with it and see if I can find a good balance. Unfortunately there's nothing else I can do for Proto around slopes, since there isn't yet any lua functionality that deals with those kinds of sectors.

Also, to those interested in that sort of thing: Proto can beat SRB2 Heroes version of Rail Station, but only because they can make a long jump to bypass the power character only section. Maybe give the boost ball knuckles level breaking, to add compatibility with those sorts of things? I know, its probably a bit much to ask, as this is the only level pack where it is required for completion, but it might be nice to have for exploration in other packs?

Maybe if there were multiple charge levels for the boost ball...

This is an easy change, I'll include it into the next release.

Found two bugs: sometimes, if you jump upwards through a clippable downward moving FOF, you will rocket into the air, and if you die in morph ball form, your death sprite will be much smaller.

For the former bug, can you give me an example map and area so that I can replicate this?

The issue with nyooming through intangible moving FOFs is actually a 2.1.16 bug! Such is the issue with pmomz, it's not Proto's fault.

Also, I haven't played Proto yet but he looks cool. Good work! Probably.

It's strange. Proto's morph ball doesn't seem to wan t to work in Sugoi's Sky Labrinth for me. It was working fin in the previous version. It's weird...

At the time I was only using the Axis2D Example for testing. The problem may be that the bullet is hitting walls and thus getting destroyed prematurely. I'll look into this.

Yeah, upon further investigation, I think this has to do something with the axes. Honestly, the code currently set in place for Axis2D doesn't seem to be interested with having non-player objects follow the axis, so this isn't really an inviting issue for me to tackle right now. If anyone wants to take a stab at doing it properly, donate the code to me and I will add it if it works. In the meantime I'm just going to redact the code so that bullets can actually work at all.

It's strange. Proto's morph ball doesn't seem to wan t to work in Sugoi's Sky Labrinth for me. It was working fin in the previous version. It's weird...

It's due to the change in controls. Honestly, I'm just going to disable Proto's code for that specific map format, because I think that's just going to continue causing problems in the future.

I'll also say that I preferred the old controls to the newer ones. But other than that, I have no complaints, this character is pretty damn fun.

I've been looking into this, and I can't seem to find any way to store control modifications through lua without potentially screwing up netplay. And if that's going to be the case, then we're pretty much stuck with fire being on the fire key and ball being on the spin key. Popularity of either option aside, I'm going with the current setup because spin is bound to certain things like dropping from hangers, which prevents the character from hanging while firing if fire is set to the spin key. Meanwhile, fire on the fire key works more intuitively with match, whereas using custom1 in addition to spin would needlessly add more buttons to the mix, due to the player still needing the fire button for weapon rings.

If it's any issue, my suggestion is to create a script for yourself so that you can switch the binds to match your preferred proto layout more easily.

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

V1.2 Update Notes

Maintenance:
* Rolled back 2DAxis bullet curving
* Normalized Proto for Sky Labyrinth (SUGOI)

Bugfixes:
* Fixed Proto not working on Sky Labyrinth
* Fixed Proto being small while dead

Balance:
* Proto's dash can now destroy Knuckles-only walls
* Reduced Proto's friction slightly while in ball form
* Significantly increased Crawla Commander V2.0's chance of firing while in pinch state (0.3% -> 10%)

Last edited:
Figure that I should share this here, since it isn't listed in the features list, or the tooltips, and I only found it out by playing with another person...

There is a second charge level to Proto's Dash, if you want to boost at an even higher speed.

It takes quite a bit of charging to get to though, so its easy to miss.

Charging the ability just stores up speed until it reaches the cap. Once you hear a "ding!" you've reached the limit.

Not a complaint by any means, but I feel it's almost a huge missed opportunity not to have Proto absorb animals from defeated badniks for fuel, I mean, they're powered by animals and all.

Not a complaint by any means, but I feel it's almost a huge missed opportunity not to have Proto absorb animals from defeated badniks for fuel, I mean, they're powered by animals and all.

Isn't Jetty-Proto suppose to be a good guy? Like E-102 Gamma.

I don't suppose they'd burn well as fuel, either.

I gave it a passing thought while implementing the fuel system, but I decided against it for two reasons.

1) Adding a new item specifically for Proto is more intuitive. The moment the player sees it, they know that it's going to power up Proto in some way and that they should collect it immediately. Simply making the animal a powerup makes it easier to overlook.

2) Animals acting as powerups would be difficult to balance. For instance, low-level enemies like crawlas don't always drop fuel in Single Player, and if I were to use animals instead to replicate the same effect, I would either have to make some crawlas not spawn animals, or I would have to make the animals drop lower fuel amounts and Proto would have to spend more of his time collecting the drops. Also, animals have their own eratic movement and their own timers which I didn't want to interfere with. A stationary powerup doesn't work against the player in any way, and I can easily modify the fuel coin to have a disappearance timer of my choosing.

Also to answer the questions earlier:

I know I'm being nitpicky considering this is just a character and all... But wouldn't a prototype BADNIK still have actual health? Like Hit Points or something? It seems like it would be really worth all the badnik exterminating in my opinion.

EDIT: On top of that, could the ball mode charge move maybe be mapped to the jump button as well?

EDIT2: AND ON TOP OF THAT, a robot that isn't Space-Proof?

I only wanted to make the character as complex as necessary to make him whole and balanced. A custom health system didn't serve a useful purpose in Proto's game design, and breathing in space would have been an unnecessary buff which doesn't solve any core issues with the character. In short: Proto's complex already, didn't want to fix what isn't broken.

Dunno why you'd need the charge move mapped to jump. Fire would honestly be easier in any situation.

Isn't Jetty-Proto suppose to be a good guy? Like E-102 Gamma.

Who said Proto was a good guy? He's just not on the same side as Robotnik... ;)

---------- Post added at 02:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

So, I just figured out how you can change the player's height dynamically. The whole reason I made Proto small while in ball form is because the game rejects any changes you make to the player object's height through lua, as it's continually reset and then checked all in the same event. However, by dynamically changing the object info instead of the height value directly, I can completely bypass these checks, therefore allowing Proto to fit through holes without making him smaller.

This is good news, because I never wanted to make Proto small -- it was just a design choice that evolved out of necessity. Next release I plan to make ball normal size, which will prevent him from squeezing through cracks any longer, but it will improve his stability around sectors and allow scale-modifier sections to work properly. I'm actually surprised I didn't figure this out sooner, but I suppose late is better than never.

Last edited:
That "fix" will break things in multiplayer, just so you know. That height adjustment applies to every player object, not just yours, but ONLY LOCALLY (but then the lua script runs on both ends and it may or may not do the same thing). So fire your weapon at a Sonic's head and then ballform yourself up. One of two things happen - either the bullet passes harmless through his head locally and on Sonic's end, or it only passes harmlessly on your end and hits on the other end, causing a desync. (Which of the two things happens is determined by how you code it.)

It's a cool thing to experiment with, but height changing of the player via Lua won't be possible without scale hacks before 2.2.

Last edited:
You know what I've always been concerned about, how come Proto doesn't have an animal in side of hi-

Mfh3k7c.gif

Oh. Never mind then.

(PM'ing Cobalt to see if this can be added for the next version)

Alright, with any luck this will be my last update. Please let me know if there are any bugs after this and I'll try to issue a hotfix.

V1.3 Update Notes

Features:
* Added custom death animation (Courtesy of Sapheros)
* Reworked ball form to allow for external rescaling, i.e. Proto can now turn big or small through gimmicks such as ERZ2's mini section, in addition to shrinking in size through ball form.
* Gave Jetty-Syn Gatling Gunner a custom firing sound

Maintenance:
* Cleaned up code
* All bullet health/damage values have been multiplied by 100. This allows for more flexibility within the bullet hit-counter system.

Balance:
* Proto no longer fits through vertical bars in ball form
* Lowered dash cooldown (25 -> 15 frames)
* Proto's bullets will deal damage relative to his scale vs the enemy's scale (i.e. enemies in ERZ2's mini section will take twice as many hits)
* Lowered fuel drop rate from Jetty-syn Gunners/Bombers
* Various tweaks to spawns and spawn groups
* Tweaked movement values in 2D mode

Bugfixes:
* In ringslinger game modes, Proto no longer fires rings while in ball form
* Proto no longer clips or gets stuck through terrain while switching between forms
* Fixed rare bug where enemies would stay invisible when taking damage from Proto's bullet
* Fixed an oversight that prevented Proto from being able to jump during reverse gravity underwater currents

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

V1.3.1
Okay last update, I promise. This one just fixes Proto's scale on endlevel and on death, disables a debug variable that I left on by accident, and fixes the version date.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back