Silver The Hedgehog [dot pk3]

Okay, this new update fixed all of my problems with the Sliding mechanic and the Spinjump, and I just noticed how cool and satisfying it is to pull off.

I still get my ass kicked by Metal Sonic though

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

So um, I was playing around in match, and threw a player into another one. And well...
paDUAXi.png

Basically, the Telekinesis completely stopped working, and the run animations broke too, showing a hidden Chara, Tails and Silver Face sprites. It was creepy.

I found more sprites relating to chara. Im not gonna tell them, nor post them though.

Oh by the way, Telekinesis is extremely buggy in 2d mode.

I used the 2.0 version of scr_1-1 for this and found that unless I was standing right on top of the other player, I was unable to pick them up. After throwing them on the ground and they died to a goomba, they stuck to the floor rather than falling through it.

The other test I did was done using medpack's Splash Hill and the telekinesis flat out doesn't work and in both levels the slide doesn't work period, though I'm pretty sure this is due to the speed reduction effect for 2d mode levels.

Where's the Skid button? o-o
You don't even need to skid, though. Just hold Spin and move backwards, then you'll slide. (I consider this a bug, and should've reported it when I first found it.) Though it's more effective to go forwards, then hold Spin while pressing backwards.

So I want to talk about how amazing the Slide is
srb20000.gif

Also it is able to change directions while doing a... Stair-Slide...?
srb20001.gif

Real talk now, I was just playing around with the Slide on Emerald Islands and found this lil' glitch. I literally spent minutes there doing it over, and over and over again.
Even though this is hilarious, I think these should be looked up.

Amazing as expected! the abilities are really fun and the sprites are just perfect. Love the run animations. You are one of the best at making characters on the MB!

That stair slide sort of reminds me of the backwards long jump glitch from Super Mario 64/DS. (Coincidentally, these both involve stairs.

3419083_o.gif

But yeah, I agree this should be looked into.

Okay you win, that was much better. Maybe this was intentional? Now we need a Speedrun Glitch with Silver.

I think that the issue comes from the Slide itself being technically a boost in disguise, you can even walk backwards while holding spin and see the magic happen. This is really fun to do though, and as Silver, you're most likely on the air than on the ground. Though sliding and jumping in succession like a total badass is way too fun.

...Then I fall into a pit because I forgot you can't use Telekinesis while being a spinball.

I want to try this so bad but unfortunately this came out right when I moved to another state with no computer. From what I read it seems really cool character wad there.

I found something, that isn't necessarily a glitch, but could potentially be one?

To find it, walk up to a ledge. Yeah.
I don't think it causes any glitches gameplay wise, but it is somewhat interesting graphically.

I found something, that isn't necessarily a glitch, but could potentially be one?

To find it, walk up to a ledge. Yeah.
I don't think it causes any glitches gameplay wise, but it is somewhat interesting graphically.

Intentional. When silver is on the ledge, he keeps himself up through telekinesis.

this still rustles me

* Enemies can get too close to Silver while held by telekinesis, which harms him. Most commonly happens when enemies are grabbed at close range, or the player turns 180 degrees with mouse controls. You need to add a check that prevents held objects from coming within a certain distance of Silver.
* Telekinesis will not grab certain enemies, like snailer and jettisyn
* Slide will execute any time Silver is moving backward. This results in me sliding a lot of times when I don't want to, due to the fact that I am backpedalling while trying to grab enemy fire.
* Silver's death scream just isn't doing it for me.

The rest is good. Psycho boost is a pretty neat ability, and the spritework is terrific. I am a little disappointed that I can't grab things while in midair, and the slide mechanics are more obnoxious than helpful in their current form.

Oh by the way, Telekinesis is extremely buggy in 2d mode.

I used the 2.0 version of scr_1-1 for this and found that unless I was standing right on top of the other player, I was unable to pick them up. After throwing them on the ground and they died to a goomba, they stuck to the floor rather than falling through it.

The other test I did was done using medpack's Splash Hill and the telekinesis flat out doesn't work and in both levels the slide doesn't work period, though I'm pretty sure this is due to the speed reduction effect for 2d mode levels.

I actually looked into the script to attempt to fix it, but I have absolutely no idea what even goes wrong with 2D. On the bright side, not many levels use it.

So I want to talk about how amazing the Slide is
-stairslide gif-
Real talk now, I was just playing around with the Slide on Emerald Islands and found this lil' glitch. I literally spent minutes there doing it over, and over and over again.
Even though this is hilarious, I think these should be looked up.

For some reasons the game was considering the speed was too low when clipping up a small floor. Is fixed for the next patch.

* Enemies can get too close to Silver while held by telekinesis, which harms him. Most commonly happens when enemies are grabbed at close range, or the player turns 180 degrees with mouse controls. You need to add a check that prevents held objects from coming within a certain distance of Silver.

The first thing was already added for the next release, items will float at a minimal distance of 320*FRACUNIT. However, I can't do much for the 180 degrees turn with how it's handled so far. Besides, it kinda is your responsibility if you hold a harmful thing with Telekinesis to make sure it doesn't go in your way, they're still enemies, after all.

* Telekinesis will not grab certain enemies, like snailer and jettisyn

-Flying enemies can not be picked up anymore due to their inability of being thrown

Intentionnal, the way wall collision check is handled made flying enemies be instantly killed upon thrown, since their thrust was overwriting the throw's.
I'll try to make it work for further releases, even though this isn't any of the priority right now :S

* Slide will execute any time Silver is moving backward. This results in me sliding a lot of times when I don't want to, due to the fact that I am backpedalling while trying to grab enemy fire.

Fixed for next patch.

* Silver's death scream just isn't doing it for me.

But it just has a 2% chance of playing :c

I am a little disappointed that I can't grab things while in midair

At the time I made Telekinesis, you could still jump on enemies, so I wanted some sorta balance. But now, I think it's time to remove the PF_JUMPED flag check from the Telekinesis requirements. :P

and the slide mechanics are more obnoxious than helpful in their current form.

The backwards slide must've been a pain to deal with in the situations you were in, I assume. Besides, Slide's main purpose is going under things, it's not meant to be useful outside of that.

Oh, by the way, next update isn't only about fixes.

406304srb20280.png

I would actually like to know if you guys preferred for me to let Super Silver use spinjump default or make him use these frames now that I'm making them.

-Image- I would actually like to know if you guys preferred for me to let Super Silver use spinjump default or make him use these frames now that I'm making them.
Non-Super Silver doesn't spin-jump by default. Why should Super Silver? (The sprite looks nice so far, by the way.)

However, I can't do much for the 180 degrees turn with how it's handled so far. Besides, it kinda is your responsibility if you hold a harmful thing with Telekinesis to make sure it doesn't go in your way, they're still enemies, after all.

If it's beyond your control, fair enough. I think I should point out that "it's your responsibility" borders along "it's a feature, not a bug" as an excuse for bad design. Intuitively, enemies under telekinesis should be neutralized, not dangerous.

Intentionnal, the way wall collision check is handled made flying enemies be instantly killed upon thrown, since their thrust was overwriting the throw's.
I'll try to make it work for further releases, even though this isn't any of the priority right now :S

Ah, that sucks. Maybe you could make telekinesis replace them with dummy objects as kind of a shortcut around the issue.

But it just has a 2% chance of playing :c

Yeah, somehow I heard it the very first time I died playing the game, so that may have affected my bias. lol

The backwards slide must've been a pain to deal with in the situations you were in, I assume. Besides, Slide's main purpose is going under things, it's not meant to be useful outside of that.
Yeah, I figured backpedal into slide wasn't intentional. Try going up against someone like Brak, who has a lot of projectiles and requires some circlestrafing, and that will kind of give you an idea of where it becomes intrusive.

Oh, by the way, next update isn't only about fixes.

406304srb20280.png

I would actually like to know if you guys preferred for me to let Super Silver use spinjump default or make him use these frames now that I'm making them.

Yes, do make the sprites. Can you also make Sliding sprites for him? It's kinda awkward to slide with Super Silver's upward quills turning downward quills... A nitpick, but it's kind of annoying imo.

In my way.

So, with some hacky way that sets flying enemies into a dummy state that uses the power of Lua to retrieve the good sprite and frame, you will be able to do this!

FamousOrganicBlacklemur-size_restricted.gif

1.1.1 (or as I like to call it, 1.1.65536) will hopefully (don't count on it) be the last patch, some friends and I are often running beta tests to have the maximum error output possible so I can adapt the Lua to it. It may take some time, but I'm really doing my best with the little of motivation I have left for this when I'm not eating chocolate instead of doing something relevant.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back