Silver The Hedgehog [dot pk3]

Lua is known to lag the game a bit anyway IIRC, even if you loaded a blank Lua script.
I know, but when adding Jasper, Shadow, and Metal Sonic at once, even playing as them and using their abilities, Neo Aerial Garden remains at a constant 35 frames/tics per second for me all the way through, while just adding Silver and not even playing as him drops it down to 10-12 (Edit: Actually still 35 in the normal 2.1.14, false alarm). That's... a pretty big impact.

Last edited:
V1.0.3 patch

Alright, here is another update for Silver, the biggest yet. I hope it suffices to fix the issues in Multiplayer and all.

1.0.3 changes include...
*Added a half second delay between picking and throwing objects and the reverse.
*Slide has been dramatically buffed and no longer acts weird in 2D mode.
*Enemies thrown by Telekinesis no longer get stuck forever after a non-lethal throw
*Due to me not knowing the reason of the issue (yet?), 1-UP monitors cannot be picked up anymore.
*Telekinesis no longer changes the angle of SDURFs, turrets and other objects needing angle to work properly. SDURFs will be killed if they are thrown, even on the floor either way.
*Telekinesis cannot directly grab Egg Guards anymore. But it can destroy the shield by simply picking it up.
*Added another bunch of other validity checks, which I hope will fix most Hook break issues.
*Other things I might have forgotten to mention.

I don't want him to say It's No Use when going super. That doesn't fit on the sound on my opinion.

Voices should be in 2.2

...Is there any point in having so many different ThinkFrame hooks? Like, if I play Neo Aerial Garden as Sonic (or Tails or Knuckles, or even the custom Jasper, Shadow or Metal Sonic, with all those characters being added at the same time), I get a constant 35 frames/tics per second through the entire level.

If I then add Silver, even after rebooting the game and the first thing I do being adding Silver and entering Neo Aerial Garden (as Sonic), that drops to 10-12, and I think the reason might be related to the extreme amount of ThinkFrame hooks, considering how huge the level is. (And I was looking forward to playing Neo Aerial Garden as Silver. At least the Aerial Garden Zone in the Mystic Realm is still fine with Silver.)

Well, I do realize Silver uses a lot of ThinkFrame Hooks, even then, these are only using players.iterate, so it doubt it even can be a cause? And I never got a single FPS drop on my end. Only things that could cause FPS drops are eventually telekinesis hooks which sometime use thinkers.iterate, then again, it's only for a frame.

This or you're playing on a potato disguised as a calculator. I have no clue. Because everyone I asked had no problem with Silver and NAGZ.

449831srb20270.png

...Well, I guess I am playing on a calculator which is actually a potato, judging by this GfyCat link: https://gfycat.com/GreedyParchedBluebottlejellyfish (And no, it's not less laggy if I add Silver before entering the level.)
Edit: But don't worry, I do get a solid 35 frames/tics per second on every level besides Neo Aerial Garden and Azure Temple (and the latter does have better performance for me than NAGZ), and in the levels where I can play as Silver with good performance, he is a lot of fun to play as in my opinion.
Edit 2: Oh, oh, wait, hold on, false alarm actually. I tried running the vanilla 2.1.14 instead of the I-think-latest version of the "gl-slopes" branch of the game. In vanilla 2.1.14, it's still going at 35 frames/tics per second even when playing as Silver and using his abilities in Neo Aerial Garden. I have no idea what's wrong, but I guess something has been changed since 2.1.14. My bad.

Last edited:
Zwip, I was able to reproduce your problem and fixed it. Lat'll upload a new version at some point in the near future.

I am so happy with this wad.

The sprites are slick, and fun to look at. The running animation is SO GOOD IMO, I spend most of my time running around. The other part of my time is spent flying around with Psycho Boost (Which sounds amazing btw). This is really good. My only issue would be the awkward way I can slide. I don't really understand why you didn't simply use a Custom button. Having to run around to be able to skid, then press spin, is kinda hard to pull off.

Especially when it's kinda needed for certain bosses. Said certain boss is Metal Sonic. I played through all the Single Player campaign only to be stopped by Metal Sonic, who i couldn't beat at all. Spin jumping in that arena is next to impossible (At least for me), meaning the only way I could hurt him was with Psycho Boost and well, it involved me ramming my face into electricty or death pits.

Other than my rage inducing battle with Metal Sonic, this wad is extremely good. Oh, and Telekinesis is pretty fun too. Really good work here, Lat.

EDIT: I played again with the update, and the slide is a bit better. I'll try it again.

Last edited:
Something I noticed is that Silver doesn't regenerate PSY ENERGY if he jumps off the ground but he's still able to if he hits a spring. I think I somewhat understand the implications of this but it forces the player to try very hard not to jump until they have enough PSY ENERGY to mess around with, and in a platform game the last thing you want to prevent the player from doing is jumping. I haven't given it a whole lot of thought but is it possible to get him to regenerate during a jump (but not after usage of an ability) or would it cause something to break in terms of balancing?

Something I noticed is that Silver doesn't regenerate PSY ENERGY if he jumps off the ground but he's still able to if he hits a spring. I think I somewhat understand the implications of this but it forces the player to try very hard not to jump until they have enough PSY ENERGY to mess around with, and in a platform game the last thing you want to prevent the player from doing is jumping. I haven't given it a whole lot of thought but is it possible to get him to regenerate during a jump (but not after usage of an ability) or would it cause something to break in terms of balancing?

I agree with this. Either let the energy continue regenerating while he's jumping as long as he hasn't used an ability, or make it regenerate much faster on the ground.

Personally, I feel like the psy energy regeneration is pretty fine as it is. However it would also be okay by me if it starts regenerating after a half second of not using psy energy, regardless of whether one is in the air or on the ground (instead of instantly starting to regenerate as soon as one touches ground), though probably regenerating a little faster on the ground than in the air.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but in the most recent patch Silver is unable to use weapon panels.

Attachments

• srb20000.gif
    srb20000.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,420
Personally, I feel like the psy energy regeneration is pretty fine as it is. However it would also be okay by me if it starts regenerating after a half second of not using psy energy, regardless of whether one is in the air or on the ground (instead of instantly starting to regenerate as soon as one touches ground), though probably regenerating a little faster on the ground than in the air.

This actually plays pretty good this way. Kept in for the 1.1 patch.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but in the most recent patch Silver is unable to use weapon panels.

Intentionnal, Silver already has Telekinesis shenanigans to get score and all in Match. However, you can still use Infinity Rings.

V1.1 patch

Here is yet another patch for Silver that should settle our Lua issues for good.

1.1 changes includes.
-- Huuuuge thanks to toaster, the script has been optimized and shouldn't drop as many frames anymore in levels like Neo Aerial Garden and Azure Temple.
-- Character Select artwork now looks much better, courtesy of MotorRoach.
-- Psy Energy takes half a second to start recharging again as soon as you hit the ground, but will now recharge even during a jump.
-- The speed required to perform a slide has been lowered.
-- If you get stuck in the middle of a slide, the angle lock is removed so you can get out on your own. You cannot jump and get yourself killed anymore during this as well.
-- Super Silver doesn't have the Super Tails jump anymore.
-- Super Silver now uses the slide frames instead of the pain frames when performing a slide.
-- Synching out/leaving while holding a player doesn't give errors anymore and frees the held player instead of leaving it floating. Items however, remain floating and cannot be touched anymore until the level is reseted. This cannot be fixed without laggy thinkers.iterate, sorry.
-- Fixed throwing stuff on players being completely broken in 1.0.3
-- Fixed the player's Telekinesis aura clipping to the ceiling when it hit a wall.
-- Added other numerous validity checks
-- Silver's hit messages have been moved to a HurtMsg Hook, so there won't be any "x's tagging hand hit y" message alongside Silver's anymore.

Last edited:
Items however, remain floating and cannot be touched anymore until the level is reseted. This cannot be fixed without laggy thinkers.iterate, sorry.

I'm not sure this is true. Here's a trick that I used to fix a similar problem in one of my own mods: Whenever Silver grabs an item, spawn an invisible, intangible object (I call it a 'gremlin') that has a pointer to the grabbed item (e.g. gremlin.target == item). Then, in the gremlin's MobjThinker, have it continuously check if the item is still in a grabbed state, and if the player grabbing it still exists. If the item is grabbed, but the player has left, have the gremlin return the item to its normal state, then remove itself. This way, the time it takes to check for orphaned items is proportional not to the number of thinkers, but to the number of currently grabbed objects, which is much smaller.

A few things I wanted to add; grounded enemies like the Crawlas should be able to destroy one another if they slide into each other
srb20014_zpsiqixfrp2.gif

Also, I'm still not a fan of being able to damage yourself by turning quickly and allowing the enemy you're holding to crash into you.
srb20015_zps8zpry2ob.gif

Another bug appeared, it happened when throwing a fired weapon ring.

Code:
WARNING:LUA_SILV:1319: accessed mobj_t doesn't exist anymore, please check 'valid' before using mobj_t.
Hook removed.

Okay, this new update fixed all of my problems with the Sliding mechanic and the Spinjump, and I just noticed how cool and satisfying it is to pull off.

I still get my ass kicked by Metal Sonic though

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

So um, I was playing around in match, and threw a player into another one. And well...
paDUAXi.png

Basically, the Telekinesis completely stopped working, and the run animations broke too, showing a hidden Chara, Tails and Silver Face sprites. It was creepy.

That sound Silver makes when you press the jump button while you're already in the air; you're missing the second part to it. If you check SRB2 Riders you'll hear the part of the sound for when Silver runs out of energy/or let go of the jump button. It sounds weird and empty without that sound there, I don't know why.

Why doesn't Super Sonic in vanilla just use flight mechanics like Super Silver? Super Sonics flight is pretty much worthless unless you just want to float.

Last edited:
Hey Lat' , i got a little problem, Silver can't float after the sliding action.

Edit: Oh nvm i know why XD.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back