Silver The Hedgehog [dot pk3]

There is not any plan to change the way Silver works in Match, his telekinesis range is limited, and players already have a really long time to react and do something. Psynarchy also no longer exists as of 5.0. Better Thokker support might or might not happen (I'm not really invested into ringslinger as a whole)

I completely understand and respect the choice to not change how Silver works in match, balancing for so many variables in that mode was what made Silver unfun to play as to begin with.
However, it can be quite infuriating when in any given situation where Silver can pick up a player, be it in match or a custom gamemode or otherwise, he hold you so you can't do anything for the duration of the level if they so choose.

However, it can be quite infuriating when in any given situation where Silver can pick up a player, be it in match or a custom gamemode or otherwise, he hold you so you can't do anything for the duration of the level if they so choose.

A solution to the multiplayer Telekinesis issue could be to disable all movement whilst using it against players until he gets hurt or throws the player, kinda like how he acts in Sonic 06. It can give players an opening to attack Silver and free the captive player, which would be especially helpful in team gamemodes.

A solution to the multiplayer Telekinesis issue could be to disable all movement whilst using it against players until he gets hurt or throws the player, kinda like how he acts in Sonic 06. It can give players an opening to attack Silver and free the captive player, which would be especially helpful in team gamemodes.

Except this isn't the issue I'm concerned with, I'm concerned about custom gamemodes like Thokker or anything where the player can't attack without using a character like Rosy to free your friends from Silver's grasp. This just stops Silver in his tracks which doesn't help anything.

Because I keep my promises, Silver has been updated for what will probably be the last time until v2.2:

Version 5.1

• No, the slide wasn't added back, nor was the spin jump.
  • While Psycho Boosting, hitting a floor will make Silver roll, albeit slowly on a surface as flat as my anime waifus cup sizes, you are still able to gain a lot of speed if performed correctly on slopes!
  • You can now initiate a Psycho Boost by simply pressing and holding spin in the middle of a jump if you don't have a shield. The old method is still avaiable and will have to be used should you want to use it with a shield (this is to avoid conflicts)
  • Thokker support has been added! Silver cannot grab players in thokker, but will instead knock nearby opponents and the ball around. This ability has a pretty long cooldown and eats away one quarter of your energy for each use. This makes Silver effective at guarding the goal.
  • Fixed Psycho Boost Z momentum not scaling with the player and not being reduced underwater.
  • Fixed the Psycho Boost overlay and float particles being misplaced in flipped gravity.

EDIT:
Metal Sonic would like to have a word with you
Seriously, he'll almost always go to a corner - forcing me to take damage, it's just brutally unfair.

Sorry to break it to you, but Metal Sonic is a terrible boss to begin with and I won't change Silver's kit for the sake of one poorly designed boss.

Last edited:
I miss the Silver voice. It not the same in multiplayer games when you do not hear Silver telling people it is no use and then saying take this when you show them that it is no use. Because of this lack of beautiful Silver voice, I will use the 4.0 Silver instead.

unknown.png

Man at least use 4.1, it has bugfixes...

I just found two bugs from the current release so.

Knux can still glide even when catching him and he can break silver's power when knux got far away, Don't know what's the matter with Knux's state when he's gliding and got carried.

srb20226.gif

When Silver doing his ability the HUD working on right ? Well if I repeatedly doing that then catch a player, the HUD got overflowed.

srb20227.gif

There are already other bugs from Silver but maybe you won't seem to fix them because they doesn't look an actual bugs.

Silver has been updated to version 5.1.1

• Fixed issues with grabbing gliding players. I can't guarantee this fixes issues with every ability in existence.
  • Fixed the delay gauge not updating properly if a longer delay was to be set when another delay was going on.
  • Fixed the Psycho Cuts not initiating any delay on Telekinesis.
  • Fixed Energy recharging although enemies were still being thrown, causing the overcharge to sometimes happen from just throwing an enemy stupidly far.
  • PSYNARCHY IS BACK! ...Although this time it's a clientsided command that just gives Silver all of his memey voices back, so there's no gameplay impact at all, and any player is free to enable or disable them at will. (psynarchy defaults to off.)
  • Added gameplay tips for singleplayer / ringslinger to the main post.

...Are the voices enough to keep people from using 4.0??????

Last edited:
In the distance, you hear people screaming:

"WE WANT SLIDE BACK, WE WANT SLIDE BACK, WE WANT SLIDE BACK"
"WE WANT SPINJUMP BACK, WE WANT SPINJUMP BACK"
"I WANT TO BE ABLE TO CHOOSE WHICH ONE I THROW AGAIN"

Basically they want all of the old deleted abilities back :P

In this case I'd like to remind people why the changes were made in the first place:

Telekinesis was changed to be much easier to use, you don't have to worry about slowing down to manage what you're gonna throw anymore. If you don't want to break something you can toss it on the floor and it'll slide to a stop.

The slide, and ESPECIALLY the spinjump were removed because they offset Telekinesis entierely. Let me ask you this; why use Silver's ability if you can get away by just jumping on things like with other characters?
Because I still wanted Silver to be able to get something out of slopes, I allowed him to spin by hitting the floor with a boost.
The slide was also removed partially to free out buttons so that Silver could be playable by using only the jump and spin commands.
Mind you, changes have been attempted but I for one don't know if people would even like that compromise.

Silver right now has, in my opinion, the best balance he's ever had, the changes make his gameplay a lot more straightforward and easy to understand for anyone, but is legitimately not even fun to work on anymore on my side given every change is followed by half the people complaining about things such as "Silver is OP in match", "Silver sucks now that slide is gone", "Silver has no voices???????". I know it's impossible to please everyone, but when the complaints are all directed towards bringing back the slide because it makes the character easier to play as, that's where I just give up.

The new Silver 5.1.1 is much more improved especially since it has the Silver voice back. I will mention what I like and not like. First I strongly like how when you use spin button, Silver will say "It's No Use!". In fact holding down the spin button will cause Silver to constantly say "It's No Use!" repeatedly. It is genius. Now if you play online match you can remind everyone that it's no use and that all will fear Silver the Hedgehog. What I did not like however was that I can not select which things being hold to throw. However the Silver voice more than makes up for that and thank you.

In this case I'd like to remind people why the changes were made in the first place:

Telekinesis was changed to be much easier to use, you don't have to worry about slowing down to manage what you're gonna throw anymore. If you don't want to break something you can toss it on the floor and it'll slide to a stop.

The slide, and ESPECIALLY the spinjump were removed because they offset Telekinesis entierely. Let me ask you this; why use Silver's ability if you can get away by just jumping on things like with other characters?
Because I still wanted Silver to be able to get something out of slopes, I allowed him to spin by hitting the floor with a boost.
The slide was also removed partially to free out buttons so that Silver could be playable by using only the jump and spin commands.
Mind you, changes have been attempted but I for one don't know if people would even like that compromise.

Silver right now has, in my opinion, the best balance he's ever had, the changes make his gameplay a lot more straightforward and easy to understand for anyone, but is legitimately not even fun to work on anymore on my side given every change is followed by half the people complaining about things such as "Silver is OP in match", "Silver sucks now that slide is gone", "Silver has no voices???????". I know it's impossible to please everyone, but when the complaints are all directed towards bringing back the slide because it makes the character easier to play as, that's where I just give up.

I've recently read through this(remember when the character was in the works) and generally got the problems of it.
Did want to give it a go to further understand the issues and kind of form a own opinion on it.

With that said, I do want to give it from a neutral standpoint and hope it won't sound too bad.

So from what I've heard I can basically summarize the issue from the player side as "Removal of Features" while from the Creator Side it's a "Simplicity" and "I've added stuff to make it simpler, what more do you want?!"
To be completely blunt about it, I feel like you aren't listening enough to the players.
Addressing the two big points of spinjump(not sure when that was a thing) and Slide.

Slide

I've seen that at one point there was no Slide at all, I wonder if you were still able to do that Psycho Boost "Lite Roll"
If not, then the player would've been pretty stumped, as it's not only needed for going under obstacles but breaking walls(something that neither of Silver's abilities can do)
And sorry to say it, but I did find it stupid that the slide was removed without custom levels and other stuff being taken into consideration, not to sound bad but I feel like SRB2 has been through this in 2.0 times(and tbh I hope that we can have slide as a Vanilla SRB2 move one day for nospin characters)
So I'm in for adding Slide back as it serves use for that and could be activated easily, even if it was on a button like Custom 1, that would still not be a far stretch and complexity in my view, but that's of course just my opinion.

Spinjump
Now about Spinjump, and I did try out the game for that.
In short, I don't think that Spinjump is required but I question why you can't attack enemies while floating.
You can use the Psyboost(and, out of convenience, fuck it up for not holding forward :V but I quickly got used to it) but I feel like being able to use it would make the life of players easier.

While Psyboost works, it can often also launch you into stuff that you didn't want to and make you get hit.
(Not sure how people see it, but in general I feel like the intention of getting hit in Sonic Games shows how you fucked something up and now get something silly)
This would be ok if the player actually messed up but it feels like this can easily happen with many things since the boost is horizontal but can be aimed up/down, however at the same time the speed of it makes it harder to aim.
A jump in comparison has gravity which one could get easily used to and then use to hit stuff more precisely, avoiding hits.

I can see if you think that's too close to having a spinjump, but the thing is that while I would've loved to use Boss projectiles, I could never grab and actually use them...
(not sure if that's not easily done due to flags but it would've been hilarious and good to see some stuff, also you can't grab the orbinaut's spike balls either)
So yeah, I think if that gets added(dealing damage while using Float) there's no need for spinjump.

As for Slide, I'd like to see it back and have the Psyboost Roll removed.
Another thing about it is that it feels like a "Pity Roll" which is probably intentional, but look at what fast speeds you're going before you hit the ground and roll(also had that one trigger by accident a few times and in places I didn't want it to)
Since you do want to make Silver able to grab things I'd guess it would need a custom button, still not too bad but that's up to you and the other players to decide on what the thoughts of this are and all.

Sound Effects
This would be the part where I'd like if we were able to add config files for wads and all that so people could have their preferences saved
Generally it would be nice if there was a command to enable sounds locally and one to enable them in MP(which every player themselves would have to set, or maybe set it as enabled by default? Not sure)

Telekinesis Selection
So I missed out on that version and we unfortunately don't have a Version History, but it sounds like it was a bit like the Scottish Resistance in TF2(being able to selectively launch picked up objects, sounds like it was nice to have and in a way I wish that there was a way to still have that(different wads that have one flag changed which changes the control scheme?) However I guess that one won't be coming back, maybe as separate addon only.

Gameplay Review
I can say that he's a pretty fun character to play as.
However, especially the Psyboost, are things that are so good (that they scratch that part of my mind that doesn't allow good to exist) I'd personally maybe even call them a bit overpowered, however I wouldn't be one to nerf them and would prefer fun over having useless or really nerfed down stuff.

Not sure about the Psi Combos but one thing I noticed is that if you hold the key down, as soon as another enemy is in range, Silver will throw it but it won't home, is this intentional?

Also while I get that Silver's supposed to pick up what he sees, I'd like to see that range increased as it felt like I couldn't grab stuff that I should have and felt a bit odd when I jumped in the middle of enemy circles just to grab only the facing ones.

One thing that stuck me as odd were the Shields, I get why you disable Psiboost when having them but I wonder if you should only do that for Whirlwind and Armageddon since those are the only ones with said ability and one could easily be throw out of the flow if one expected to be able to use the ability just for that to happen.
To be honest, I don't really think he needs the shield abilities though as he has a suitable replacement for a Double Jump in most cases, but that might be just me.

What's bothering me though is how you can't use Telekinesis after being hit and flickering, guess that this was done for Multiplayer but I wonder if it can't be set so that you can't grab players in that time but everything else works.
It really sucks when you get hit by a enemy and then can't use that to easily get rid of them while most other characters can do something about them like spin or just jump into them.
So you can't use telekinesis but you can use the overpowered boost? :V /S

Speaking of Enemies, he can't grab some like Minus or those Egg Guards(the Shield ones) how is one supposed to attack them?
I'm assuming by using the Boost, but good luck using that against the Egg Guards...

Bosses were a pain as one could get hit very easily, one would expect to have easy bosses with Silver but apparently not as many things couldn't be picked up as expected.
Glad that I'm not the only one that sees Metal Sonic as a poorly designed boss, he was good for Veteran players but that was about it...
(The concept itself is good, the execution is rather terrible tbh)

One minor thing I noticed is that the Swing... Pulleys, Circles, Ropes, Chains? in CEZ leave Silver in his falling Frames when you hover into them but that seems to be only visual.

Last edited:
I'm happy to actually have gotten such detailed criticism after that long, like really happy, thank you. :)

So, to reiterate everything again: I've already tried to listen to everyone about Silver, which eventually led to versions 4.0 and 4.1 which had quite severe issues in how things were handled, mostly for the sake of ringslinger since that's where 90% of the never ending complaints came from. This badly hurt Silver in coop as his gameflow flow was severely slown down, the only saving grace of it was undeniably the slide which allowed for higher jumps and easy damage on enemies. Of course the goal of 5.0 was to give Silver back his unique gameplay while also saving the flow and making ringslinger at least tolerable, without it being the focus this time around.

Now to go on abilities and all the points you have brought;
Slide / Spinjump:
The slide was originally here to give Silver a way to go under tight spaces, while his spinjump was here to go in those weird mid air spin-height gaps (which only really appeared in toaster's Glacier Gear IIRC?). Its removal honestly doesn't mean much aside of the fact that he doesn't have his easy spinjump anymore; Psycho Boost always destroys bustable walls, and boosting on the floor will allow him to clear out the small gaps while also having accurate physics relative to slopes, which wasn't really working very well back when he used a slide due to the lack of Lua accessibility on slopes.
Adding it back as it used to be also means changing the controlscheme yet again.

I'm also unsure about letting him damage enemies while floating since it visually LOOKS like a frame that would leave you vulnerable, and I really don't know how well it'd fare from a gameplay standpoint.

Sounds:
This would be possible granted that Lua variables with CV_SAVE were properly saved, which sadly isn't the case yet.

Telekinesis Selection:
I honestly didn't know players really liked the Telekinesis selection, looking back at it I saw it as a bit clumsy and it probably granted him a bit too much power in ringslinger as well. I guess I don't mind bringing it back or whatever if enough people want it.

The whole gameplay review part:
The Psycho Boost is meant to be used a bit more strategically than what people would think, you use it to get to places where you know you can run to a place as your energy regenerates for your next action, heading in towards enemies with it is generally a bad idea as it consumes a lot of energy and leaves you entierely vulnerable after it has depleted.

The grab range only being in front was kind of made to make the grab feel more intentional by having the player actually look at their target. If that's really okay I don't mind making it bigger if that helps his gameplay.

For shields I don't really have any excuse aside of it being more consistent. Though be aware that you can also float and THEN press spin to activate the boost even with a shield, only the quick way of pressing spin once is disabled for obvious reasons. Though I think I could replace the whirlwind shield by a Pity Shield like Jasper does it to offset most of the issue altogether.

...The no Telekinesis on flicker is, however a bug / an oversight from me, because that's intended to only be effective in Match to avoid cheeky easy revenges, so this'll be fixed for whenever this eventually gets updated again.

Minuses can't be grabbed unless they're jumping out because... they're not actually enemies or something while they're in the floor? That sounds like a flag issue granted how Telekinesis handles grabs. Same for Egg Guards. A concept for them was that Silver would be able to lift their shield and throw it back at them but it sometimes caused issues where the Egg Guards got stuck, so I left them unable to be harmed since it's not necessary to do kill any of them to progress through the game.

For bosses it's partly my fault and the game's, Silver probably should be able to grab a lot more projectiles to his advantages and that's my fault, although most of them can be easily beaten by boosting onto them. But I can't do much about the bosses that I think are poorly designed like Eggscalibur and Metal Sonic, since they the former doesn't throw any projectile, and the other one has a horrible way of getting damaged.

Again, thank you a lot for your comment, this kind of thing helps a lot to rethink things.

Thanks for the Feedback, am glad that you took it well and kind of expected it to go worse.
I don't really play MP but can understand the issues, forgot to mention something in the last post which I think Rumia brought up:
Being able to struggle out of his Telekinesis Grab
I do think that should be a thing, because, if we look at it in theory, once Silver grabs you he could literally never let go of you, right?
So adding a limit of that or allowing players to struggle free(and then be in invisframes for a few seconds) would be nice.

Oh, those stupid mid air spingaps are a thing and used by players... great!
Japanese SA1 Sonic's Greaaaat
Honestly though, is there a way to detect that and nospin characters are once again screwed? Kind of sucks, maybe though... what if Psychoboost made your hitbox smaller(since Silver kind of "bellyslide" flys) allowing you to squeeze through?
Edit: NVM, sounds like it already does?

Silde allowed for higher jumps?
Tbh I think Slide should be a toned down spindash, good if it can also attack stuff but it can't gain speed and might even slow down faster, or that's how I'd see it in concept.

As for floating, I'd say he has a "Damaging Aura" around him and I feel like that using Psychoboost just leaves you very vulnerable to getting hit, think you already tried the bosses with it

Sounds
So we have Lua save stuff(yay!) but it's broken?(great...) :P

Telekinesis Selection
That could be true, not sure how he'd be in match but it could be disabled if needed.

Gameplay Review Part
I did actually use it for that, doing a lot of crazy stuff like going to the GFZ "Forbidden"(Hard to reach) Areas as Sonic and just Zooming up in Deep Sea Zone, with a few stops though.
Heck, know that spring section at the end of CEZ2? I did also fly over that from a Ledge earlier.
It was crazy fun to do and such a unique experience that I wouldn't want to see it toned down, one needs to see that for themselves.
Telekinesis has more precise movement, at first expected 06's which keeps your speed locked of what you had when you jumped, but this one is really nice(even if I'll probably want to make a 06 Silver at one point, if you don't mind that is) did use that to safely maneuver RVZ(and then get hit by falling Lava anyways :V)
However, as for Bosses, I didn't have anything else to attack so I basically had to use that.

Figured that the Grab Range was like that, and that would be appreciated, as it sucks if you think you're safe with grabbing something, but then nope, denied.
Ideally, although I don't think you'd want to be the one to implement that, Enemies would be "tagged" with the tags being lost over distance(think of it like E102/Mech Character's Lasers or SLW's Homing Attack on ground) so that Spring Shell I just jumped over that Silver saw will also be included when I'm between enemies and use it, yet any enemies I didn't see can still ambush me.

I see, did think that, for me it was a bit confusing at first but I quickly got it(also I think using Float first kind of made me think that one consumes a bit more energy)
Thing is, if you only have it on shields that have abilities you'll see "oh that's that ability" and have that happen in case of an emergency(you probably don't have space for it but having that in the Description to warn the player might be nice) but with no ability shields you first wonder "Huh? Why does it not work anymore? Did I abuse the ability too much?"
Just my first impression though.
Do think that's a good thing, Armageddon would not be activateable then?
The only thing I can think of, that would cause issues, would be S3K shields, of course that's another "3rd party" thing, so it might be best to just leave it as it is and enable it for the shields we know are "safe", or alternatively remove it from spin but that would kind of remove the convenience.
(kinda wish we had a dedicated shield ability button for that reason)

Oh I see, did figure that, was a bit of a pain in DSZ when one of the Fish went on Rampage and I think against some other things, maybe also tried it on bosses.

Being able to pick up the Shields would be really nice.
And actually I think it is?
I did run into a room in CEZ which had those Knight/Lance Mechs and Egg Guards spawn, seems like the game wanted me to clear those as the gate in front of me opened(Darn! If I only used Psychoboost :V)

I understand, tbh I think it was way too easy to get hit most of the time and I guess that's why people complain about spinjump -> suggestion of Float doing damage.

Also would've been lovely to pick up and SMASH! the THZ2 Turret(you know which one)

And thank you for taking this so well ;)
Nice to see that content creators see this as useful and as a way to rethink stuff and not just as a "Huge wall of Text of Rants and Complaints"

I for one really enjoy Silver 5.1; I love how streamlined his move-set is. I've seen a lot of wads that overuse custom abilities and make the whole experience clunky to use. Having a character that's simple to use yet dynamic enough to tackle various situations is what the Sonic Series was founded on. And while I can sympathies with others who miss having more options as Silver, I can also sympathies with "Lat'" wanting to streamline Silver's controls to make him more accessible to others. Silver is one of the most fleshed out characters I've ever played in SRB2; hopefully he can continue to grow and find a right balance that satisfies as many people as possible.

Silver Finale has been released

Hello folks!
After a lot of thinking, of tinkering, and questionnable test builds, I'm happy to announce nor 5.1.2, nor 5.2, nor 6.0, but Finale. That's right, this will be the last major gameplay update Silver will recieve. Any subsequent update will only happen in case of a serious game breaking glitch. Now, shall we get to the meat of these changes?

General:
  • Improved visual effects
  • Code optimizations
  • Too many undocumented fixes
  • Updated the main post with sick screenshots and updated tips n tricks with everything below

Levikinesis:
  • Shields now add additional effects to your Psycho Boost! They may be situational effects, but can change the way you choose to play! (Check main post or figure them for yourself)
  • Actually fixed scaling issues for real this time
  • Controls are reversed if FLIPCAM is off and you are in reverse gravity
  • Hitting the floor with Psycho Boost now sends you into a sliding state

Slide:
  • It's here now, leave me the fuck alone!!!!!!
  • Fit through tight gaps
  • Reduced friction
  • Will destroy enemies and monitors alike
  • Slight jump height boost
  • Abilities can be used after jumping out of a slide

Telekinesis:
  • Activation range will now only display in front of Silver, the previous effect was misleading as Silver cannot grab behind himself
  • When active, Telekinesis will make Silver have an energy aura around him
  • 3.0 Telekinesis Selection is back, press weaponnext/weaponprev/weaponmask to select what object will be thrown or dropped instead of all of them
    ^ There is no HUD for this. Selected item will have its aura flash white periodically.
  • Energy will no longer recharge for as long as you have something thrown in progress.
    ^ This prevents overcharge from a single long throw

Overcharge:
  • Overcharged players will have an orange aura around them

Ringslinger:
  • Psycho Cut now costs energy. This cost is negated should you have Infinity Rings.
  • Super Silver now throws 5 cuts instead of 3. Let hell unfold
  • Players are affected less by Telekinesis' momentum now so you can hit Silver players more easily to break free.
  • Weapon Rings can now be collected and selected to throw a variety of different Psycho Cuts! You have significantly less ammo to work with, but a lot more interresting plays to make! (Check main post or figure them for yourself)
    ^ You cannot select or fire any Cut while holding anything with Telekinesis.

All of the small additions together, such as the slight Shield passive abilities and the re-inclusion of the Slide, albeit different this time, help making Silver into character with a higher skill ceiling overall, your old playstyle from the past 5.x versions won't be affected, but there will definitely be room for improvement from now on!

As stated at the top of this post, this IS the last major content update Silver will be getting, and he will, very likely, release as the exact same character gameplay-wise when 2.2 comes out. This has been quite the ride, with its ups and downs, but was definitely a valuable experience for me. Thank you.

I got to say what lot people been saying in the online games which I agree with and that is we really miss the old Silver. Like the Silver character was really great in the beginning but over time with each update he been made worse all in the name of balance. What happen to making characters fun to use?

It really annoying how Silver runs into wall and the momentum just stops. Grabbing other players is way harder than before. It not all bad and indeed Silver came long way. But that hitting wall thing is really annoying. Though could always use a different Silver.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back