Metal Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade

Get a load of THIS!!
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Metal_Header2.png

A new version of SRB2 means a new version of Metal Sonic! He's now far from being a Sonic clone, with his Hi-jump and Maximum Overdrive attack.

UPDATE - 1/16/17
  • Fixed a small bug that made Metal Sonic break in 2.1.17.

UPDATE - 11/12/14
  • Fixed a sound bug relating to the 2.1.12 update.

UPDATE - 10/15/14
It's been a while, but the new, hopefully final, version of Metal Sonic is out! Plenty of changes this time around.
  • New animations for Overdrive, falling, and spinning.
  • Upped the Hi-jump power.
  • Updated Overdrive effects.
  • Overdrive no longer damages players while charging.
  • Overdrive no longer damages friendly players in multiplayer modes.
  • Overdrive now has custom hit and death messages.
  • Overdrive can now break spin-breakable walls.
  • Most likely a few small tweaks that I forgot.
A big thanks to MotorRoach for the new, awesome spinning sprites!

UPDATE - 3/21/14
  • Fixed a bug concerning his Super form being completely invincible.
  • Added Super transformation sprites.
  • Lowered sound effect volume.

UPDATE - 3/20/14
  • Fixed an issue where sounds were played across the entire map.
  • Fixed a bug relating to his spintrail which caused the console to get spammed with an error.
  • Brand new spindash behavior.

Also included in the wad are some emblem sprites in case anyone wants to support Metal in their level pack.

Attachments

• srb20003.png
    srb20003.png
    90 KB · Views: 12,365
  • srb20002.png
    srb20002.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 7,593
  • srb20006.png
    srb20006.png
    50.5 KB · Views: 18,387
  • srb20000.png
    srb20000.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 9,991
  • srb20013.gif
    srb20013.gif
    5.3 MB · Views: 10,788
  • MetalSonic.zip
    463.2 KB · Views: 27,351
Last edited:
All in all, this is a pretty great wad.

The character wads for 2.1 are off to a strong start it seems! Welcome to releases.

Last edited:
Other than the spindash sound being too loud, I really like this wad. I can't wait to see what else 2.1 produces.

2.1 breaks the entire mold of character making, and this is a pure example of what can be done aesthetically. Metal Sonic makes sounds while simply moving, has a jet trail, and that charging animation.

Oh my, that charging animation.

I definitely can't wait to see what I can do with Lua once I finally get to poking around with it.

This character is a blast to play as. His Hi-Jump, coupled with Sonic's speed, lets him take some interesting shortcuts that Sonic can't while still being able to keep up with everyone else despite his lack of a jump ability. Just finished playing through the campaign with him. This is currently my favorite character of the ones released so far. Keep it up, Blade.

I really like the metal sonic wad, you sound like a robot you're as fast as a robot sonic, and you can screw over your friends with the spin dash. I really hope to see some more of your work come alive.

This WAD is the best for the time being. Metal Sonic controls like well... Metal Sonic. Unlike the other 2.1 wads, this one isn't completely ridiculous

Found a bug in it: Sometimes, if someone cfails or leaves while charging an overdrive or releasing one, the console gets spammed with this message until the map is reset: WARNING: ./MetalSonic.wad|LUA_GAME:5: attempt to index field 'target' (a nil value)

Artwork and poses are good, but the duplicate sprites are really obvious in spots; would have been nice to see unique spring up/down animations. The spincharged jump mechanic is pretty interesting, but it doesn't feel like there are a lot of ways to take advantage of it in regular gameplay. The increased jump height is decidedly not that impressive considering what is sacrificed, but I guess it all balances out if you consider his pure speed stats.

If you replaced the sounds with someone running a vacuum cleaner, they wouldn't be much more obnoxious. The run sound in particular needs to be reduced in volume by about 20%, if not replaced with something else. Overall the entire soundpack feels out of place; Genesis/Megadrive sound effects would go a long way in increasing the authenticity of the entire package.

Last edited:
Awesome WAD. When i fought metal sonic, I thought. "Someone HAS to make a wad like this."
The only issue I have with this WAD is that when you use the Maximum Overdrive, you spin.
I think it would make it more cooler if he used the running animations there.
Anyways. An awesome character with unique abilities.

Updated! Check first post for details.

EDIT : Updated again. Fixes a few bugs I missed.

Last edited:
Wow that wad is really great. It feels very natural to control MS's high-jump. But when spinning on e.g. a conveyor belt MS switches into Overdrive mode. It's probably when you are spinning in a higher velocity than you should go when spinning normally without using Overdrive mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back